Who's your list for next HC? | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
That list of coaches needs some disinfecting.
Nevermind amount of clorox we will need just to keep the room clean where these guys will be at, it is highly doubtful we can even find a room big enough to hold all the egos involved.

Reaction Score
SEAN SPENCER. Presently, DL coach with the NY Giants. Formerly, Associate Head Coach @ Penn State. Formerly, a huge factor in the rebuilding program @ Vanderbilt. Recognized as one of college football’s outstanding recruiters. Connecticut roots: played @ Bulkeley (teammate of Mangini), coached at Wesleyan & Trinity. Other stops: UMass (mentored by Don Brown), Holy Cross, Bowling Green). Dynamic personality, premiere motivator, incredible work ethic.
He should be considered

Reaction Score
NO, NO, NO. No defensive coaches. UConn needs an offensive minded coach. Someone who teaches offense, recruits offense and can get UConn into the end zone early and often. Defense, for now, needs to take a back seat.
DC would be nice

Reaction Score
this ONLY an Offensive Coach is silly

The number ONE criteria for the UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT HEAD COACH is ... they have to understand the tight architecture they have to travel to get the right recruits. Local kids need development. MA & NJ & NY & PA & QC ... a solid smattering of Florida and Georgia for speed. We are in Texas now. Redshirt and develop lines over a few years. AND learn what works in the Transfer market. A Quarterback coach that can really get a kid to stand tall and win. A FBS program in New England is not easy; nor Buffalo or this northern thing.

A HC candidate can be a Defensive Coordinator if he has been in solid programs and had responsibility. And can Coach kids.

Reaction Score

The number ONE criteria for the UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT HEAD COACH is ... they have to understand the tight architecture they have to travel to get the right recruits. Local kids need development. MA & NJ & NY & PA & QC ... a solid smattering of Florida and Georgia for speed. We are in Texas now. Redshirt and develop lines over a few years. AND learn what works in the Transfer market. A Quarterback coach that can really get a kid to stand tall and win. A FBS program in New England is not easy; nor Buffalo or this northern thing.

A HC candidate can be a Defensive Coordinator if he has been in solid programs and had responsibility. And can Coach kids.

The problem is the budget for assistant coaches. If we hire a defensive guy we don't have enough money to bring in a top notch OC, however if the head coach is the OC problem solved.

Reaction Score
Scott Frost shouldn't be in the conversation. What has he done without McKenzie Milton?

Reaction Score
NO, NO, NO. No defensive coaches. UConn needs an offensive minded coach. Someone who teaches offense, recruits offense and can get UConn into the end zone early and often. Defense, for now, needs to take a back seat.
Pretty sure the defense is already taking a back seat by allowing 38 pts a game so far.

Reaction Score
LOL, at the idea we are too good for Frost. Amazing. This board needs a little more self awareness.
It's not that we are too good for him but I'd rather a guy on the upswing of his career. We don't just need a coach we need a builder. Why not give the job to a wide eyed 37 year old looking to become the next Frost at UCF, Edsall (part 1), Bill Snyder at KSU, etc.

At this point I don't think Frost would have the same fire to build a second program from the ground up

Reaction Score
Thinking on it, I'm not sure either Chesney or Suraci would take the UCONN job not because it would not be a step up professionally but because they're working for institutions that make their priorities quite clear and transparent: academics first, athletics second. The UCONN administration seems to be on the fence, wanting it both ways. I firmly believe that given his way Benedict would be doing a whole lot more to upgrade the program, including aggressively lobbying the donor base. But I also think he has to be very careful of running afoul of Herbst, who after all IS his boss and for whatever reason doesn't want athletics occupying too much a place in the school's portfolio messaging. I have no idea why this is. UCONN is at best a top 25 public academic institution, not even close to the rarefied Ivy air it seems to aspire to and really not within spitting distance of the more highly ranked publics like Michigan, UCLA, Texas and UVA. Before we can move forward some people are going to have to be honest with themselves about what comes first or even in tandem, or we'll never make any progress.

I believe that Katsoulias was much more closely aligned with Benedict and if the Board hadn't conspired to get rid of him things would already be moving in a positive direction with the program.

Oh and for God's sake, just start recruiting three stars and even the odd four star, will ya? We might not have success immediately, or even within three years. But the efforts will eventually pay off. If you want to fight with the (semi) big boys then you have to start playing in their sandbox. Just do it. I really don't care who the next HC is so long as they are an AGGRESSIVE recruiter.

Like to the point where if part of the NIL package you have to offer that four star QB from New Jersey includes a sponsorship deal with The Gold Club, fine just get it done. It's only money baby.
Herbst is not his boss- you are two presidents removed. We have an interim president just like an interim coach.

As taxpayers- we are paying upwards of 3 million dollars plus benefits for these 3 individuals. UConn is probably one of the most financially mismanaged public universities in the country.

Reaction Score
If Buffalo beats Nebraska on Saturday, Scott Frost may be available.;)
Do you think Frost’s off the field escapades will come into consideration when schools are searching for a new coach?

Reaction Score
I would like to see Spanos succeed. It is rare that an interim succeeds. But, I never really heard that much about Dabo before he took over for Clemson. That has worked out really well. I really don’t understand why people are saying it’s stupid to even consider him. I know UConn will never be Clemson, but if Spanos succeeds and becomes the permanent head coach would that be such a bad thing.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Spanos succeed. It is rare that an interim succeeds. But, I never really heard that much about Dabo before he took over for Clemson. That has worked out really well. I really don’t understand why people are saying it’s stupid to even consider him. I know UConn will never be Clemson, but if Spanos succeeds and becomes the permanent head coach would that be such a bad thing.
Hate to say it. His accolades are really great. If the team succeeds under him and wins. Why couldn’t he be in the run for head coach. What happens if all of a sudden all the players want to play for him and we win. I understand what you are saying. I agree if the teams does well with him as an interim coach I wouldn’t mind if they are interested.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Dabo the assistant head before he took over the interim position? Hadn't he been highly regarded as a recruiter? Wasn't he considered an excellent recievers coach for a few years?

The fact that you didn't hear about Dabo doesn't mean he wasn't well regarded in the years leading up to his interim position.

Reaction Score
Hate to say it. His accolades are really great. If the team succeeds under him and wins. Why couldn’t he be in the run for head coach. What happens if all of a sudden all the players want to play for him and we win. I understand what you are saying. I agree if the teams does well with him as an interim coach I wouldn’t mind if they are interested.
I may grow hair too If I just want it to happen.

Spanos is not installing a whole new scheme. Maybe the OC gets a little more creative and the play calling is less predictable (god help this board if it is not), but the talent and the players are the same. The win total does not project higher with Spanos while the effort and enthusiasm hopefully does Under him. And that is a win for him, the players and the fans. But he does not magically cause 4 to 6 wins. Does it show enough to make him head coach? I would want to know who he wants on his staff, particularly his OC, because every coach on this staff has not really earned an automatic stay here.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Dabo the assistant head before he took over the interim position? Hadn't he been highly regarded as a recruiter? Wasn't he considered an excellent recievers coach for a few years?

The fact that you didn't hear about Dabo doesn't mean he wasn't well regarded in the years leading up to his interim position.
Didn’t say he wasn’t well regarded. What I said was, “I hadn’t heard much about him!”. I was using him as an example of an interim coach that took over and everything worked out well.
We both want the same thing, a solid football program. I just hope Lou’s try out is a successful one. He doesn't have a bad resume himself.
If it doesn’t workout, it doesn’t workout.

Reaction Score
Didn’t say he wasn’t well regarded. What I said was, “I hadn’t heard much about him!”. I was using him as an example of an interim coach that took over and everything worked out well.
Sure, but Dabo is categorically different than Spanos. Forget the fact that Dabo is almost certainly a much much better coach than Spanos (I mean, I guess we don't know yet). But if Spanos were well known as a great recruiter and an up-and-comer across FBS, then the comparison would make sense. He isn't, so the comparison falls apart.

Reaction Score
Some good names thrown out here by the Boneyard.

I will say I am hesitant to hire a head coach with a defensive background but that is only because I have a poor taste in my mouth from previous coach selections.

However, we need a program builder and a program manager. I said earlier that Dave Benedict does not give me even a modicum of confidence he will be able to find the right coach.

with that said I think during the interview process the coach must be asked how he plans on handling offense. Does he have a coordinator in mind? What type of offense?

Reaction Score
And if the administration is serious about rebuilding the football program (they have no shown they are at all) I would significantly increase head coach and assistant salary pool and ask Coach Moorehead to come back. I can guarantee getting a coach like him will get a lot of solid offensive transfers into the program.

Reaction Score

Using Buffalo as an example of why we don't need an offensive coach is either a joke or an amazing lack of irony detection.

Reaction Score
Sure, but Dabo is categorically different than Spanos. Forget the fact that Dabo is almost certainly a much much better coach than Spanos (I mean, I guess we don't know yet). But if Spanos were well known as a great recruiter and an up-and-comer across FBS, then the comparison would make sense. He isn't, so the comparison falls apart.
I give Spanos a .001% chance of getting the job, but how many wins does it take to give him serious consideration?

3? no. 4? maybe. 5? you might not have a choice...

Reaction Score
I give Spanos a .001% chance of getting the job, but how many wins does it take to give him serious consideration?

3? no. 4? maybe. 5? you might not have a choice...

I don’t think he gets the job either. However, if he can win 2-3 games, play competitively throughout the rest of the season, keep the recruits coming in intact ( which is huge ) then he should be seriously considered. But, again, I don’t think that’s going to happen. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Let’s just hire someone with local regional experience and who has been a program builder at a smaller level

again stepping up to bat here for Mark Nofri or someone like that

Reaction Score
Let’s just hire someone with local regional experience and who has been a program builder at a smaller level

again stepping up to bat here for Mark Nofri or someone like that
Maybe I'm wrong but I think Mark Nofri as head coach is almost a guarantee UConn will be in FCS in three years after he arrives. I for one don't accept that.

Reaction Score
No way he’s getting considered
I don’t think he gets the job either. However, if he can win 2-3 games, play competitively throughout the rest of the season, keep the recruits coming in intact ( which is huge ) then he should be seriously considered. But, again, I don’t think that’s going to happen. I guess we’ll have to wait and sconsider

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom