Who's the Best - Chiney Not Included | The Boneyard

Who's the Best - Chiney Not Included

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Breanna can score from anywhere, block shots, rebound and shoot the trey. Sims Chiney and everbody else can't. There is no discussion. Breanna is POY based on that and her stats. Sims is Baylor and her shot attempts prove that. SIms does alot but does not get her team mates involved as much as a guard should. Chiney has some help from her teammates but dosnt have the versatility that Breanna has. Breanna does things that neither Sims or Chiney do. IMO it Breanna and everybody else.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I think it is a three way race with Stewart#1, Chiney #2 and Sims third. I think Chiney could carry Stanford to the title game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is I think telling that so far ESPN has posted two 'debates' Michelle/Mechelle with the choices being Chiney and Breanna and Charlie/Graham with the choices being Sims/Stewart - that is 2 votes for Stewart and one each for Sims and Chiney. And I think that could be the way the national polling ends up as well.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I do think there is a tendency...right or wrong...in the women's game to 'share' awards, honors...and even shots in a game when it might not be appropriate to do so.

Given Breanna's soph status I think some voters will think that her time is next year....and maybe the year after as well.
I would not be surprised one bit if she came in third to seniors Chiney and Odyssey.

Sidenote: Geno [and several other more objective viewers] has said several times that if the draft included every college player this year, every blessed WNBA team would take Breanna first. True...true.

Reaction Score
Chiney and Breanna both deserve it. Ideally, it would be a tie. I would predict Chiney will win it in a close vote. If the votes are split enough between those two and Sims, Breanna could win the award by a small margin.

Reaction Score
I do think there is a tendency...right or wrong...in the women's game to 'share' awards, honors...and even shots in a game when it might not be appropriate to do so.

Given Breanna's soph status I think some voters will think that her time is next year....and maybe the year after as well.
I would not be surprised one bit if she came in third to seniors Chiney and Odyssey.

Sidenote: Geno [and several other more objective viewers] has said several times that if the draft included every college player this year, every blessed WNBA team would take Breanna first. True...true.
Geno has said if you ask coaches who they would take he doesn't know anyone who wouldn't take Stewie. The basic thing is Stewie is already as good as the others, and she continues to get better, the more she understands what she needs to do.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score

If we're talking the best player this year, it is Stewart -- not a contest. But best player doesn't necessarily equal player of the year. It comes down to how POY is defined. If it is the same as best player, Stewart wins hands down.

But I suppose POY might include more than simply being the best basketball player. Are POY criteria stated anywhere, or are they simply whatever you want them to be?

Reaction Score
I think it is a three way race with Stewart#1, Chiney #2 and Sims third. I think Chiney could carry Stanford to the title game.
I don't think Stanford would have a chance were they to be matched up with Louisville and I question them against some of the other upper echelon teams. They are primarily a one person team and they rely on close officiating. If Stanford was in a game where the referees "let 'em play", I don't think they would have a chance because with Chiney's aggressiveness and her propensity for just chucking balls in the air, she needs to get a bunch of calls and thus a number of foul shot opportunities. I've said again and again that Chiney is a wonderful athlete that happens to play basketball and not a wonderful basketball player. She is relentless and for that deserves a massive amount of credit but I've seen her play out of control on many occasions, relying on rebounding her own misses and also scoring numerous layups off of offensive rebounds due to her athleticism. Her skill level isn't even on the same planet with some of the other top women's basketball players. Her sister Nneka was so much more skilled that it's not even funny though as I mentioned, she's clearly a superior athlete. Still, as Tony C said, there isn't anyone in women's basketball who can do all the things Breanna can at the level she can. Unquestionably she is the best player in the country.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If we're talking the best player this year, it is Stewart -- not a contest. But best player doesn't necessarily equal player of the year. It comes down to how POY is defined. If it is the same as best player, Stewart wins hands down.

But I suppose POY might include more than simply being the best basketball player. Are POY criteria stated anywhere, or are they simply whatever you want them to be?
Most of the awards have a specific description of the criteria involved - the Wooden award I think has a slight weighting towards non-basketball specific attributes for example. But with any vote it ends up being the 'eye of the beholder' for each voter.

Reaction Score

I think it may "be in the eye of the beholder" type thing. Some people might award someone whose proved they are the best player in the country by demonstrating all their skills and their consistency while others may regard it as most valuable (or maybe most needed) to their team and it's success. I think either way it should be Breanna because I think there would have been a minimum of a few losses on our side if she didn't play the way she did and command the attention she did that benefited other players on our team. Actually no one will listen to me anyway but I surely think that Dolson should get some consideration because of the many things she does to help this team. I've expressed them in other posts that most of you have probably read but the time to really appreciate how good she's been is next year when we don't have someone in the middle doing all the special little things that she's done night after night after night. Getting back to Stewie, she has to be the POY in my estimation but with her being a sophomore and having a lot of other talent on our team, they might throw a bone to the other mentioned candidates.

Reaction Score
As much as I like Stewart I think Chiney is the POY.

We'll see how "Stewie" does next year without Dolson and Hartley to distract defenders away from her. She'll see what it was like for EDD, Chiney and Sims next year with the constant double and triple teams.

If you don't include Chiney then Sims.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As much as I like Stewart I think Chiney is the POY.

We'll see how "Stewie" does next year without Dolson and Hartley to distract defenders away from her. She'll see what it was like for EDD, Chiney and Sims next year with the constant double and triple teams.

If you don't include Chiney then Sims.
Really? Because KML won't draw any attention? I think it will be nothing like EDD or Chiney. When was the last time Stewie scored over 30 and no one else on the team got over 10? Not to mention Mo Jett - IMHO she's a finalist for the Lieberman-Kline award next year and one of the very best PG's in the nation right now. Oh, and her 3 point % is better than Stewie AND Bria, and at .397 is barely behind KML's .407... So any team that leaves her wide open is going to pay the price.

As for Stanford, I think they are better than some might think. Orrange is really good and the rest of the Stanford supporting cast is not chopped liver. Ruef is decent, Lili Thompson sort of came out of nowhere (for me at least) - she's a freshman guard who's starting now and putting up solid numbers. Bonnie Samuelson is starting now and has been solid as well.

Stanford is just so well coached that their lack of athleticism, outside of Orrange and Ogwumike, is easily masked. I wouldn't underestimate them. Not from UCONN's perspective - no offense to Stanford, but as much as they've improved, so has UCONN. But I think they are a really solid 1 seed and easily an odds-on pick to make the final 4...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits