Who's Number Two? | The Boneyard

Who's Number Two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I frequently post here that I think the obsession with poll rankings is kind of silly, so here I am nevertheless wondering...

After last night's beatdown, does SC deserve a number two ranking? Seems to me that Baylor, with an early ten point road loss to KY as their only blemish, probably ought to be ranked ahead of the Gamecocks, and probably would whip them in a head-on-head contest. Thoughts?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There's no shame in losing to UConn particularly when it is firing on all cylinders. SC and CT switch spots.

Reaction Score
Big P: Haven't thought about the answer, but given my dislike for the type of "play" I saw last night by SC, I got a kick out of you posing that question today - an out loud chuckle in fact, coming on the heels of our months at #2.

Reaction Score
In my Opinion, Since noone else lost they should drop past anyone else with one loss but before those with two losses

Reaction Score
I think it's between SC & ND. Baylor, MD & TN are next level down. ND with Turner could be the biggest challenger out there - they played us to 18 without her.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I always look to Sagarin and Massey, and they both have USCar #2 and ND #3, though it's fairly close. They switch Baylor and MD around for #4 and #5, and Princeton is #6. Sounds reasonable to me.

But if you're looking for unreason, there's another ridiculously pathetic index to consult.

Reaction Score
Big P: Haven't thought about the answer, but given my dislike for the type of "play" I saw last night by SC, I got a kick out of you posing that question today - an out loud chuckle in fact, coming on the heels of our months at #2.
OK, Win, I guess I have to admit to being just a bit snarky in posing the question, though truthfully I really do question where SC belongs, and certainly would if I were either a ND fan (perish the thought!) or a Baylor fan.

Reaction Score
I've never wavered that ND is the 2nd best team in the country. Felt that going into the season, still feel that way. Same with SC being #3. Baylor then MD just a smidge behind at #4/#5.

For all the talk of a rematch with UConn for all the marbles, SC has its work cut out for it to get to that point. #2 through #5 are all pretty evenly matched. If SC picks up another loss or two it might end up with the toughest route to the final 4. No disrespect but it wouldn't be a shock if they lose in a regional final to the likes of MD.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
#2 will be either SC or Baylor.

Depends on how the coaches see a 25 point loss.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
SC should drop to #3 behind Baylor and above ND.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
SC will be #2 next Monday unless they don't get off the floor and lose to lowly LSU. But ND is #2 in my way of thinking and I'm almost persuaded that Baylor should be 3. The upcoming Tenn SC contest will be informative; SC should prevail, but as Dawn says they are flawed.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If we are predicting what it will be, I would say
  1. UCONN
  2. Baylor
  3. SC
  4. ND
  5. Maryland
But I'd not be surprised to see SC fall to 3 and Baylor be #2... I think there will be some split votes. UCONN didn't just beat SC, they destroyed them. If it had been a 9 point win, maybe they only drop to 2...

Reaction Score
OK, Win, I guess I have to admit to being just a bit snarky in posing the question, though truthfully I really do question where SC belongs, and certainly would if I were either a ND fan (perish the thought!) or a Baylor fan.

BIG: seemed to me that they played to injure and times, and there is nothing I detest more in sports, so I'm good with the "snarky" for sure. And at this point I have thought about and do have an answer for your question: it ain't us! :)

Reaction Score
Baylor is #2 based on their 2-pt wins over Syracuse and Texas? And loss to Kentucky?

SC has beaten Kentucky, Duke, and Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I think the pollsters take into account that SC was playing at Gampel against the defending national champion and will put them at the #2 spot.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Baylor is #2 based on their 2-pt wins over Syracuse and Texas? And loss to Kentucky?

SC has beaten Kentucky, Duke, and Syracuse.

For reference, ND has beaten #5 Maryland, #6 Tennessee, #7 Florida State, #17 North Carolina, #21 Chattanooga, #23 Syracuse among ranked teams. #9 Louisville, and #11 Duke still to come.

I'm partial to Sagarin and I think his computer has the order right:
2. South Carolina
3. Notre Dame
4. Baylor

It's close between South Carolina and ND for me. ND has that head-scratcher loss against Miami (during the Reimer soap opera) whereas SC has been very consistent. On the other hand, ND has better showcase wins.

Reaction Score
I think South Carolina's size would give Baylor problems. Texas, without their best
player nearly beat Baylor.

I would like Notre Dame's chances against SC rather than Baylor's.

Reaction Score
I think you could justify ranking 2-5 any way you'd choose. But Princeton at #6? Things that make you go hmmm. I respect their undefeated record, and they play an enjoyable-to-watch brand of basketball. I saw them stomp an outmanned Columbia team at Jadwin by 40, but I can't imagine them beating or really giving a game to several of the teams ranked immediately below them like Tenn, Louisville, FSU or Duke. Though I will be rooting for them to do just that when the tourney comes.

Reaction Score
I frequently post here that I think the obsession with poll rankings is kind of silly, so here I am nevertheless wondering...

After last night's beatdown, does SC deserve a number two ranking? Seems to me that Baylor, with an early ten point road loss to KY as their only blemish, probably ought to be ranked ahead of the Gamecocks, and probably would whip them in a head-on-head contest. Thoughts?
Everybody else.:rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I cant see Baylor whipping South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom