Who's gonna guard DeAndre Daniels | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who's gonna guard DeAndre Daniels

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
Hooks and 10 footers they'll allow all day. Its driving that will crush ISU because they don't have the personnel to withstand the fouls. They could bring more and more guards off the bench, but outside Ejim and Hogue they really have no talent once they are in trouble. If I were UConn I'd drive right at Ejim as soon as the game starts, repeatedly, until he gets two fouls, then just do whatever you want while he sits on the bench doing nothing. They won't recover with Ejim or Kane on the bench for a considerable amount of time.

Well expect a lot of pick and rolls with Daniels screening then. If Ejim is defending Daniels he will have to hedge, switch or give up the drive most times. Assuming ISU isn't playing zone.

Reaction Score
6'-9", Deandre Daniels shoots 44.7% from three point land and 50% in the postseason. It doesn't mean he should stray outside the confines of the offense to do it though. Hogue takes less than 2 3pt attempts/game, so neither will he.

Seems like Hogue needs to be wide F'in open before he shoots (Am I wrong? I'm only deducing from what I read in box scores). Besides Brimah, UConn has three other long front court players and terrific perimeter defense.
Hogue will shoot enough to keep the defense honest and to draw the big man outside and no he will pull the trigger even if not wide open. As expected he hits a much higher percentage if left open. This is why teams have to honor him on the perimeter. Brimah had one block against Villanova (although I thought I saw two) because Villanova spread things out and drew him out of the lane. ISU will try the same except ISU will move the ball and try to penetrate instead of chucking up contested threes. Not saying it will work but just saying what I expect to see

Hogue and Ejim are different than Daniels in they have been playing against the other teams 5 a lot. Imagine a player like Brimah guarding Daniels. Brimah would have to come out on the perimeter to defend Daniels. Hogue and Ejim are very similar to Daniels. He is a little taller and longer. Teams like Kansas, Texas, Michigan, Iowa, Baylor(before the zone)etc all saw their 7'0 out defending the perimeter. If they make one of their first two then they will shoot 40-60%. If they miss the first two, the defense can sag but they will keep shooting and rely on rebounding

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hooks and 10 footers they'll allow all day. Its driving that will crush ISU because they don't have the personnel to withstand the fouls. They could bring more and more guards off the bench, but outside Ejim and Hogue they really have no talent once they are in trouble. If I were UConn I'd drive right at Ejim as soon as the game starts, repeatedly, until he gets two fouls, then just do whatever you want while he sits on the bench doing nothing. They won't recover with Ejim or Kane on the bench for a considerable amount of time.
Edozie is solid defensively and rebounding. Not so much offensively. In a slower paced game, ISU can withstand more minutes from Edozie. After him.....Gibson. gibson saw a lot of minutes last year but the staff won't play him. Very good offensively but defensively...not so much.

I agree with driving at Ejim. That will force him to the bench, Hogue over to guard Daniels and Edozie in the game more. However, ISU has been fine forfeiting easy baskets in the first half to stay out of trouble then playing much more agressively on defense in the second half.

Reaction Score
Edozie is solid defensively and rebounding. Not so much offensively. In a slower paced game, ISU can withstand more minutes from Edozie. After him.....Gibson. gibson saw a lot of minutes last year but the staff won't play him. Very good offensively but defensively...noit so much
Brimah needs to stay at home for the rebound… take the block if it is there but hold the position for the rebound. He often takes himself out of the game going for the big block. Not a criticism but a fact. May not work here with Iowa st. We need to keep them to one shot a trip down.
In the few UConn games I watched, I noticed Brimah seems to leave his feet early and often looking for the block. Is that a fair assessment?

Reaction Score
Honestly holmes I appreciate your bias but you talk about this game as if UConn is overmatched all over the court, irrespective of styles, and ISU has an answer for literally anything UConn might try to do. They're a nice team but I don't think that's remotely the case.
No, just saying what the adjustment will be and what ISU will try to do. Doesn't mean it will work. But yeah, that is what ISU does. They try to create mismatches and take advantage of the mismatches. That isn't just ISU's fans thoughts. Coaches like Bill Self, Lon Krueger, Beilin, Huggins, etc have stated that Fred is as good a coach in college basketball of making and taking advantage of mismatches as there is.

Ejim was the Big 12 POY. Not just for his scoring but for his all around game. He is a three that has played the four for his whole career at ISU. If you think this is the first time he will play a 6'9" guy you are crazy. He has defended bigger more talented players on the post than Daniels. If you want to hurt Ejim with Daniels put him on the perimeter and and have him penetrate. Make Ejim guard him face up. Ejim will pick up a couple stupid fouls. Based on what I have seen here and in games, I just don't think Daniels will be able to pound Ejim with his back to the basket.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well expect a lot of pick and rolls with Daniels screening then. If Ejim is defending Daniels he will have to hedge, switch or give up the drive most times. Assuming ISU isn't playing zone.
This

Reaction Score
Brimah's primary value is not the shots he blocks, it's the shot he changes. He is also very fast for a guy his size. So when you think he is out of the play, he isn't.
This is where I see the loss of Niang hurting Iowa State the most in the interior offensive end. Niang has an "old man" game featuring a lot of pump fakes, hook and up and under shots. Hogue and company will need to step it up inside to open the perimeter guys up if Iowa State wants to win.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Hogue will shoot enough to keep the defense honest and to draw the big man outside and no he will pull the trigger even if not wide open. As expected he hits a much higher percentage if left open. This is why teams have to honor him on the perimeter. Brimah had one block against Villanova (although I thought I saw two) because Villanova spread things out and drew him out of the lane. ISU will try the same except ISU will move the ball and try to penetrate instead of chucking up contested threes. Not saying it will work but just saying what I expect to see

Hogue and Ejim are different than Daniels in they have been playing against the other teams 5 a lot. Imagine a player like Brimah guarding Daniels. Brimah would have to come out on the perimeter to defend Daniels. Hogue and Ejim are very similar to Daniels. He is a little taller and longer. Teams like Kansas, Texas, Michigan, Iowa, Baylor(before the zone)etc all saw their 7'0 out defending the perimeter. If they make one of their first two then they will shoot 40-60%. If they miss the first two, the defense can sag but they will keep shooting and rely on rebounding

Brimah had one block versus 'Nova, but he altered a good many more. Remember, before Okafor (2002-2004), UConn was not a huge shot blocking team. But the centers (Knight and Voskuhl, mainly) still played great interior D because they were 9 feet tall from the floor to the tip of their fingers. They were goal keepers who altered the comfort level of their opponent, not shot blockers. They made them change their shot.

The second thing, as you point out, is that Nova didn't drive on Brimah was in. They took jump shots.

Finally, that statement that I highlighted in bold is not necessarily true. I foresee a lot of switching, especially if ISU uses pick and roll.

Incidently, Embiid didn't play in the conference tournament, and ISU lost the other two match ups.
Texas and Michigan don't have a 7 footer on their roster.
And Iowa St was 6-4 in games vs. the above mentioned.

I'm not saying it won't be a hard fought game, but ISU is not head a shoulders above UConn by any stretch of the imagination.

Reaction Score
Brimah had one block versus 'Nova, but he altered a good many more. Remember, before Okafor (2002-2004), UConn was not a huge shot blocking team. But the centers (Knight and Voskuhl, mainly) still played great interior D because they were 9 feet tall from the floor to the tip of their fingers. They were goal keepers who altered the comfort level of their opponent, not shot blockers. They made them change their shot.

The second thing, as you point out, is that Nova didn't drive on Brimah was in. They took jump shots.

Finally, that statement that I highlighted in bold is not necessarily true. I foresee a lot of switching, especially if ISU uses pick and roll.

Incidently, Embiid didn't play in the conference tournament, and ISU lost the other two match ups.

I'm not saying it won't be a hard fought game, but ISU is not head a shoulders above UConn by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree. These teams are pretty evenly matched. I could see Coach Hoiberg trying to pound Edozie or even Percy Gibson inside on Brimah early in an attempt to get him in foul trouble. If not, I would expect a heavy dose of driving and kicking out for shots.

Brimah's biggest contribution tonight won't be in his block total but like as been stated, his ability to alter shots. If Iowa State is unable to score in the interior, they better be on from deep or it could be a long night.

Reaction Score

I'd guess they'd play some sort of match up or zone or switch between a diamond and one or a 3-2 zone with Ejim and Hogue in the paint. I can't imagine they'd play man all game. Odds are you'll see them try and deny UConn hanging out in the paint and take their odds on outside shots.

Both offenses, while run at different speeds, are pretty similar pro types and move the ball around through screens and passes to either draw a mismatch or an isolation when a double occurs. I think what will be key in this game is who can generate the most mismatches, not who can guard who better. For instance it won't be that Ejim can stop Daniels or vice versa, it will be if UConn can get Daniels matched up with Kane or Iowa State can get Boat guarding Kane on a switch that will lead to higher percentage shots.

Reaction Score

If I implied ISU was head and shoulders above UConn, I apologize. That is not what I am implying and I have never stated as much. I expect this to be a great game. I am just saying.

Texas and Michigan don't have 7'0" but they do have 6'10" guys that

I see a KU team with Embiid as better than UConn. Much better. However we will be playing UConn without Niang so that is why I think this will be a very good game.

Reaction Score
I agree. These teams are pretty evenly matched. I could see Coach Hoiberg trying to pound Edozie or even Percy Gibson inside on Brimah early in an attempt to get him in foul trouble. If not, I would expect a heavy dose of driving and kicking out for shots.

Brimah's biggest contribution tonight won't be in his block total but like as been stated, his ability to alter shots. If Iowa State is unable to score in the interior, they better be on from deep or it could be a long night.
Edozie took two shots against UNC and Gibson has played 2 minutes. What makes you think Fred will pound it to either of those tw0 inside?

caw

Reaction Score

6-4 with Niang. ISU is a completely different team without him. It's unknown if that means better or worse when related to UConn. They may be a better shooting team without him. Maybe less dynamic. Maybe worse defensively. Maybe quicker. Etc.

Reaction Score
I'd guess they'd play some sort of match up or zone or switch between a diamond and one or a 3-2 zone with Ejim and Hogue in the paint. I can't imagine they'd play man all game. Odds are you'll see them try and deny UConn hanging out in the paint and take their odds on outside shots.

Both offenses, while run at different speeds, are pretty similar pro types and move the ball around through screens and passes to either draw a mismatch or an isolation when a double occurs. I think what will be key in this game is who can generate the most mismatches, not who can guard who better. For instance it won't be that Ejim can stop Daniels or vice versa, it will be if UConn can get Daniels matched up with Kane or Iowa State can get Boat guarding Kane on a switch that will lead to higher percentage shots.
This!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If I implied ISU was head and shoulders above UConn, I apologize. That is not what I am implying and I have never stated as much. I expect this to be a great game. I am just saying.

Texas and Michigan don't have 7'0" but they do have 6'10" guys that

I see a KU team with Embiid as better than UConn. Much better. However we will be playing UConn without Niang so that is why I think this will be a very good game.

The way you've been talking about ISU I really want to know how anyone beat them.

Reaction Score
6-4 with Niang. ISU is a completely different team without him. It's unknown if that means better or worse when related to UConn. They may be a better shooting team without him. Maybe less dynamic. Maybe worse defensively. Maybe quicker. Etc.
And UConn is not KU with Embiid. No disrespect meant But KU with Embiid is a National Championship team. IMO, Embiid is better on both ends of the floor than Brimah and yet ISU was within two possessions and had chances to win both of those games. But like you said that was with Niang. I don't think you see much different from ISU with Niang out. They will still try to create mismatches but they won't have a consistent scoring threat down low on the post

Reaction Score
FfldCntyFan said:
The way you've been talking about ISU I really want to know how anyone beat them.

In particular, I can't believe a mediocre WVU team dropped a hundred on them. But he says to ignore that game so maybe they were working on new sets or something. I'm sure they would have won if they tried to.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Where the hell have I been for the past 20 years tha we need ISU's #3 to get hurt to "match" the talent of ISU? Get outta here with this nonsense.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
In particular, I can't believe a mediocre WVU team dropped a hundred on them. But he says to ignore that game so maybe they were working on new sets or something. I'm sure they would have won if they tried to.

Because they were on the road. ISU SUCKS on the road even with Niang, and unfortunately for them tonight isn't being played at Hilton. Let's break down their last 8 road games:

• Loss by 5 @ Oklahoma (the Oklahoma that got run by North Dakota State)
  • Loss by 10 @Texas
  • Loss by 11 @ Kansas (which is being counted as "close")
  • Win by 1 @ OSU (in 3OT, in the middle of OSU's 7 game losing streak)
  • Loss by 25 @ WVU (that got bounced in the first round of the NIT)
  • Win by 11 @ TCU (in the middle of TCU's 19 straight losses to end the season - in fact this was the closest game they had played from the end of December against Texas Southern until the last game of the year when they lost by 8 to Baylor)
  • Loss by 7 @ KSU
  • Loss by 13 @ Baylor
So let's recap. The only two road wins ISU had since January were against bad teams during HORRIBLE ruts, with Niang, and this is what they are hanging their hats on?

Reaction Score

Ha, that WVU game was a clinic in bad basketball on ISU's part. They couldn't shoot. They couldn't pass. They played zero defense. Hell I think they tripped coming off the bus. They deserve to be heckled for that game.

Not to defend the "forget about that game" mentality, because it is quite possible that that Cyclone team shows up tonight, but WVU was a schizophrenic club this year too. They'd go from looking like a title contender at home beating down Iowa State, Oklahoma and Kansas, then they'd walk in a gym and score like five baskets in a half on the road.

Key take away is that ISU is a streaky club. I've only seen one game since the conference season started where they played lights out all game and that was against Kansas in the B12 Tourney. Other than that they will go through stretches where they can't play (like WVU or when they shot 6% in the first 15 minutes of the game against Baylor) or when they can do no wrong, like averaging 70-80% shooting in the second half to win games against UNC and Baylor.

I guarantee you that they'll do it tonight too and, more often than not, it will be the negative streak that hits first. Its like they hate being up by a lot, ever, hence the "Cardiac Clone" label. If UConn can go on a positive run when ISU forgets how to shoot the ball and holds their great streak times to just a good streak, then this game will look a lot like the Villanova one.

Reaction Score
Because they were on the road. ISU SUCKS on the road even with Niang, and unfortunately for them tonight isn't being played at Hilton. ....

I agree with your point that they played way worse on the road, but if you're using those stats to claim tonight is an away game for ISU, instead of a post season game, then you should also add in their last five away games of the post season, which were all wins.

I don't think, at this point in the season, that a road conference loss for ISU is indicative of what will occur tonight than UConn's losses at home or in the AAC tourney are a factor in what will happen now. You don't have the "this is my last college game ever" mentality in January and February. You have that tonight and that changes the dynamics of both teams a lot. I think you'll see them both come out with the same killer attitudes you saw last week and it will be a brawl.

Should be fun!

Reaction Score
FWIW-Kansas is the only team that beat ISU more than once. Kansas is the only team to beat ISU not on their home court or a neutral court. Of course, that was with Niang. But yeah, ISU started 14-0 and their only losses other than KU were on the road in conference in the toughest league against teams and coaches that are familiar with the players and their game. And every game but two, were close games. So yeah.

The way teams beat us.....
KU- Flat out more talented up and down the roster. They have two lottery pics and Tharpe played out of his mind in Ames. @KU is just damn hard place to win
OU- on the road- Outrebounded us. Spangler was a stud with 7 offensive rebounds and 15 boards. 2nd chance points killed us Heild had 22 on 6-12 from 3
Texas-on the road-Holmes and Ridley combined for 39 points down low. Felix Amari DeBerry another 17
West Virgina-ugh- just pounded us physically and took out out of the game from tip off
Kansas St- undefeated at home in conference play and again pounded us physically
Baylor- their zone really killed us. It was the first time we faced it and it eliminated all mismatches ISU likes to create

ISU lost to teams that could pound the ball low on the road. With teams that could force us to double team the post we lost on the road but won at home(except KU). It is as simple as that.
Of course we also beat those types of teams at home and on neutral court.

Again, I think this will be a great game and it is a toss up. I am meerly one fan that is responding when someone says...Daniels will do this, Brimah will do that, Shabazz will do this. I am just trying to relay what ISU does to respond. That doesn't mean I think it will work.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Only one team beat you twice? I'm amazed that you didn't get a one seed in this tournament.

Reaction Score
Because they were on the road. ISU SUCKS on the road even with Niang, and unfortunately for them tonight isn't being played at Hilton. Let's break down their last 8 road games:
  • Loss by 5 @ Oklahoma (the Oklahoma that got run by North Dakota State)
  • Loss by 10 @Texas
  • Loss by 11 @ Kansas (which is being counted as "close")
  • Win by 1 @ OSU (in 3OT, in the middle of OSU's 7 game losing streak)
  • Loss by 25 @ WVU (that got bounced in the first round of the NIT)
  • Win by 11 @ TCU (in the middle of TCU's 19 straight losses to end the season - in fact this was the closest game they had played from the end of December against Texas Southern until the last game of the year when they lost by 8 to Baylor)
  • Loss by 7 @ KSU
  • Loss by 13 @ Baylor
So let's recap. The only two road wins ISU had since January were against bad teams during HORRIBLE ruts, with Niang, and this is what they are hanging their hats on?

Technically speaking, Iowa State's last 5 games have been "on the road" i.e. a neutral court (Big12 tournament and NCAA tournament). Results are as follows:
Kansas State / Win 91-85
Kansas / Win 94-83
Baylor / Win 74-65
NCC / Win 93-75
UNC / Win 85-83

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics