Where will she land?

• Duke

• North Carolina

• UConn

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1. Has Coach Auriemma changed his MO regarding recruiting and offering? According to his book, once he offered, he did not wait around for a commitment. Times and circumstances change. Has it changed at UConn?
2. Ms Strong's father is an NC State alum and they are not in the mix. One would never expect Harvard to be in the running. Thus, it would be hard to imagine Ms Strong hearing heaping praise of Carolina and Duke growing up; respectful praise, maybe?
3. IMO, it is between Duke and UConn. Not quite the Brittany Hunter conundrum. In the end, it is going to be about relationships with Duke getting the prize.
4. Coach Lawson has been garnering significant social media props for her "Handle Hard Better" statements/speech/narrative. This is 2024.
5. What makes a coach great? I do not believe for a second that coaching is overrated, it is definitely essential. My contention is that there are a ton of very good coaches who are a great player or two short of greatness. Which is to say great players make great coaches.
I think the issue here is one of end result. At UCONN, the message is; "your UCONN experience will give you deep roots of friendship and connection. You will leave a better person and, likely, a better basketball player." Not sure what it is at Duke or UNC but it is more focused on the court, than off of it. So, that will define Sarah. The fact that she is still debating this suggests to me that the UCONN approach will not be what she wants. And to whatever extent her dad is impacting the choice, I think he'll want her to stay in the south.

Reaction Score
Comparing Kara and her program at Duke to Geno and UConn is apples and oranges in all facets. Did Geno have sold out crowds his first few years at UConn? Highly doubt it. What it comes down to is if player wants to be apart of a rebuilding program or do they want to be apart of an established program. I can see both sides. But players want different things. Just because a player doesn’t choose UConn doesn’t mean they won’t be developed or make the WNBA.

I mean heck if we are bringing up players looking at attendance. We can also talk about players looking at performance teams and injuries. Players choose who they relate to the most, who they have connections with. At the end of the day, no matter what school a recruit chooses, I hope it is one that they feel good at…and that their connections are strong (gosh, no pun intended lol)

Reaction Score
I don’t know which school Strong will choose, but I don’t think she will come to Storrs. I hope I am wrong. But if you look at the history of UConn’s high school recruits the last 30 years, especially highly recruited kids, they tended to commit to UConn early if they decided to spend 4 years in Storrs.

As far as Lawson is concerned, she is a wonderful person, was a great analyst, her defense has been solid; however, her offense has been questionable. For some reasons, it has been hard for her players to score. I said questionable because she is in her what, 5th year, as head coach.

I don’t know anything about the coach at North Caroline. I can’t comment on her.

If I were her, and basketball is my priority, I’d go to UConn; if education, then Duke; if being the “man”, then NC.

Reaction Score
Don’t get angry at me for saying the truth. If you were highly recruited and had an offer from UConn, would you honestly tell me you wouldn’t take what has happened at UConn the last 3 years as part of your decision? I know I would.

Injuries happen everywhere, but what has happened at UConn is unimaginable.

Reaction Score
Don’t get angry at me for saying the truth. If you were highly recruited and had an offer from UConn, would you honestly tell me you wouldn’t take what has happened at UConn the last 3 years as part of your decision? I know I would.

Notre Dame and UNC are following too with injury volume.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Yes, I would tell you that the injuries that happened at UConn had absolutely no bearing on my decision.

Reaction Score
What is great for UConn is that they have remained an option since she visited a few years ago, or was it a visit last year?
I think the draw to Duke is her mother’s connection with Lawson, and her connection with Roberson. Hopefully she is just waiting to hear how the UConn scholarship count will sort itself out, after the season.

Reaction Score
One thing might hold Strong from coming to Storrs is that she might look at all the injuries that UConn has had the last three years and thinks something has been wrong with the training staff.
Not being a history major, help me out.... is this comment (Mike72fl above) a 5th column remark ? ( I think it
was the Spanish Civil War. ) Now we have, instead, war of opinions (reality vs non-reality), somewhat sad. IMHO
only Sarah knows what she is considering in her decision making!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Are they wondering that? I guess if that really bothers them they will hit the portal in the spring. I’m from the Maryland area and actually watched some of Jadyn and Delaneys regular season games, they were not sold out high school gyms. l
At least their friends could sit in the front rows at Cameron, that`s one positive.

They may actually generate some interest in the portal, even though none of them are double figure scorers. However, Donovan`s 39% free throw percentage might give some suitors pause.

Reaction Score
Yes, they have. But 3 years in a row with key players out the whole seasons is unbelievable!
ND has at least one or two critical people out over the last few years. Maryland has had key players suffer injuries in successive years. It is believable. This is a lot more common than people realize.

But to your original point, who knows how Strong and her family are making their decision? They could focus on injuries, attendance, to only name a few. In the end, they have their criteria and UConn is on the list. Still means there's a chance.

Reaction Score
I dont think academic prowess is a factor in Strongs decision. Outside of Duke, all other schools are more basketball prone. Although Uconn is an excellent academic institution as well. To me, it comes down to making an immediate impact. At Uconn, she will be an Aalyah type of forward, but woth shooting and passing skills. Plus add in the chance to play with Paige, KK, Ashlyn, Azzi, Morgan and Allie, I won't be surprised if Sarah averages 13 ppg as a freshman. In addition to being coached by a legend in Geno. I believe Sarah will want to be challenged by Geno.

I can be wrong, but if her choice was UNC or Duke, she would of announced it by now, especially during her senior basketball season, even during senior night.

Reaction Score
Not being a history major, help me out.... is this comment (Mike72fl above) a 5th column remark ? ( I think it
was the Spanish Civil War. ) Now we have, instead, war of opinions (reality vs non-reality), somewhat sad. IMHO
only Sarah knows what she is considering in her decision making!
Of course, it was my opinion. However, I tried to put myself in her shoe when it comes to making an important decision on her future. And you are right, only Strong knows what she wants.

Change of topic, Fairfield just edged out against Niagara in overtime in the championship game, 70-62. So happy for them. They are going to the dance! Hope they will make some noise like Quinnipiac did a few years ago.

Reaction Score
One thing might hold Strong from coming to Storrs is that she might look at all the injuries that UConn has had the last three years and thinks something has been wrong with the training staff.
Just have to say that is a bizarre comment. If that were the case why d she have UConn as her three schools. Maybe I’m missing something here…

Reaction Score
Oregon pre-Sabrina averaged 1629 fans and just 2,600 fans her freshman year, but by her senior year they averaged 10k+.

Juju Watkins chose USC who averaged 1000 fans a game last year and within a year the attendance went up almost 4x and increased steadily throughout the season. Numbers will likely be much higher next year and her final 2 years.

If Strong is as good as advertised and Duke elevates as a program, she'll draw fans and Duke's attendance numbers will increase significantly over her 4 years.
Basketball rules at UConn due to the great success of the women's and men's teams........Neither Duke or UNC can touch UConn when it comes to the level of interest in women's basketball...........only South Carolina and Iowa can..........I don't think many great players would prefer playing big games in front of only 2,000-3,000 fans........

Reaction Score
I don’t know which school Strong will choose, but I don’t think she will come to Storrs. I hope I am wrong. But if you look at the history of UConn’s high school recruits the last 30 years, especially highly recruited kids, they tended to commit to UConn early if they decided to spend 4 years in Storrs.

As far as Lawson is concerned, she is a wonderful person, was a great analyst, her defense has been solid; however, her offense has been questionable. For some reasons, it has been hard for her players to score. I said questionable because she is in her what, 5th year, as head coach.

I don’t know anything about the coach at North Caroline. I can’t comment on her.

If I were her, and basketball is my priority, I’d go to UConn; if education, then Duke; if being the “man”, then NC.
Perhaps it's not that great to be the "man" when only 2,000- 3,000 people show up to watch you play in the biggest games of the year..........:rolleyes:.

Reaction Score
And just to be even clearer: even if Sarah doesn't pick Storrs, I expect UConn to be ranked in the top 3 preseason, and if she does choose Storrs, I expect UConn to be the consensus preseason #1. Paige & Co will be the team to beat next year.
Of South Carolina's ten players, there are only three seniors, one of whom(Pao Pao) is coming back for a fifth year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom