triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
How’s that working out for them?

View attachment 97706

tech.gif

Flagrant 1 on Husky Nan

Reaction Score
She would be better suited to play at UCONN. I'm keeping my toes crossed it's UCONN. If it's Duke so be it. If she chooses UNC, kiss the chance of ever reaching the final 4 goodbye. Banghart is proving not to be a superior coach, plus rumor has it, players are going to transfer out. We'll see....

Reaction Score
The problem, you do not play the best teams due to your conference affiliation. I'm not dismissing UCONN in any way but if UCONN played in the SEC or B10, they would not dominate.
That’s simply ludicrous! A healthy UConn would be a dominant team in any conference! Would they be undefeated every year? No, but they would still be a dominant team!

Reaction Score
There are no "Bigs" remaining on the roster who have proven themselves to be the ONE for the position of Post or PF.
I agree that the position Sarah would naturally aim at is wide open for competition. She hasn't proven herself either... yet. But this only means that the competition for starting minutes will be keen and really satisfying for all the girls.

Just to be clear, Sarah is a power forward with a smooth perimeter shooting game who prefers to pass from the high post. I expect she knows this is a regular role in Geno's offense -- he likes to station a big at the top of the key as one way to initiate half court sets. It's a familiar image, from Aaliyah to Dorka to Liv to Katie Lou to Steph to Tina to Kara to Rebecca. I'm sure Sarah is aware of this history. She's also quick enough at 6'2" to be able to dominate the glass against pretty much anyone in D1.

What may be even more interesting for a skilled passer like her is to experience how quickly the transition offense develops. Picture Sarah running the floor with Azzi Paige KK Ash Q and Aubrey. Picture Jana or Ice or Sarah or Ayanna or Caroline grabbing a rebound and firing an outlet pass to the finest backcourt in D1. Think about the pressure on opposing players when they shoot once they see how quickly a miss turns into 2 points at the other end.

What I see unfolding if she comes to Storrs is a really strong front court consisting of some rotation of Ice Jana Sarah Ayanna Aubrey and Caroline. Obviously Aubrey and Caroline will also spend some time in the backcourt, especially on D. Pair this front court rotation with a back court consisting of Paige Azzi Ash KK Q Allie and Morgan and you have a really deep team. The primary competition will be among themselves to see who can pass shoot defend and rebound the most effectively. In most games, the other team will be the secondary set of competitors for our girls.

Who will be the first team of starters? Who will come off the bench? Impossible to say right now. But I expect this distinction won't matter as much to this team as it does to most teams. Also, I don't expect the regular rotation to settle down before February, when Jana Ayanna Aubrey and Azzi will have had a chance to shake off the rust. Somehow, I think they'll be allowed to take their time and ease their way back in to the lineup.

And just to be even clearer: even if Sarah doesn't pick Storrs, I expect UConn to be ranked in the top 3 preseason, and if she does choose Storrs, I expect UConn to be the consensus preseason #1. Paige & Co will be the team to beat next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree that the position Sarah would naturally aim at is wide open for competition. She hasn't proven herself either... yet. But this only means that the competition for starting minutes will be keen and really satisfying for all the girls.

Just to be clear, Sarah is a power forward with a smooth perimeter shooting game who prefers to pass from the high post. I expect she knows this is a regular role in Geno's offense -- he likes to station a big at the top of the key as one way to initiate half court sets. It's a familiar image, from Aaliyah to Dorka to Liv to Katie Lou to Steph to Tina to Kara to Rebecca. I'm sure Sarah is aware of this history. She's also quick enough at 6'2" to be able to dominate the glass against pretty much anyone in D1.

What may be even more interesting for a skilled passer like her is to experience how quickly the transition offense develops. Picture Sarah running the floor with Azzi Paige KK Ash Q and Aubrey. Picture Jana or Ice or Sarah or Ayanna or Caroline grabbing a rebound and firing an outlet pass to the finest backcourt in D1. Think about the pressure on opposing players when they shoot once they see how quickly a miss turns into 2 points at the other end.

What I see unfolding if she comes to Storrs is a really strong front court consisting of some rotation of Ice Jana Sarah Ayanna Aubrey and Caroline. Obviously Aubrey and Caroline will also spend some time in the backcourt, especially on D. Pair this front court rotation with a back court consisting of Paige Azzi Ash KK Q Allie and Morgan and you have a really deep team. The primary competition will be among themselves to see who can pass shoot defend and rebound the most effectively. In most games, the other team will be the secondary set of competitors for our girls.

Who will be the first team of starters? Who will come off the bench? Impossible to say right now. But I expect this distinction won't matter as much to this team as it does to most teams. Also, I don't expect the regular rotation to settle down before February, when Jana Ayanna Aubrey and Azzi will have had a chance to shake off the rust. Somehow, I think they'll be allowed to take their time and ease their way back in to the lineup.

And just to be even clearer: even if Sarah doesn't pick Storrs, I expect UConn to be ranked in the top 3 preseason, and if she does choose Storrs, I expect UConn to be the consensus preseason #1. Paige & Co will be the team to beat next year.
Well said! This is an exciting time! This roster is (even without Strong) just unbelievable! With her however, it has to be (on paper) one of the best ones I’ve ever seen! We’re looking at multiple quality backups at every position but center, and truly exceptional starters at every position but center. If Jana and Ice can just be competent, we’re looking at the beginning of a special time for UConn fans!! Imagine if those two turn out to be stars! I can’t wait! :)

Reaction Score
Duke has 5 of the Top 15 Men's recruits coming in including 3 of the top 10. They must be working that NIL. Maybe on Women's side too? Best teams money can buy.
Nope, our NIL game is weak on the women's side.

Reaction Score
You are on a UConn board how did you think the votes were going to go any other way?
True. I forget the rose colored glasses here sometimes. I call it like I see it, no sugar from me. Lol

Reaction Score
IMO she is an automatic start at UCONN.
Sarah Strong: At UCONN no one is an "automatic start"... but like Paige and Azzi, and
surely some notable others.... I would not bet against Sarah...SO....IF SHE REALLY WANTS IT...
GO FOR IT SARAH!

Reaction Score
Duke has 5 of the Top 15 Men's recruits coming in including 3 of the top 10. They must be working that NIL. Maybe on Women's side too? Best teams money can buy.
I was thinking that the BEST TEAM MONEY CAN BUY was LSU!!??
There is an old saying: " $$ does not buy happiness ". Get some
Geno and Paige and Husky love at Storrs, Sarah!!

Reaction Score
From what I’ve read she is absolutely NOT a post!
Yes, NOT a POST.... but the next link in Sarah's (and UCONN's, of course) chain of success!
Please don't argue merely the "Ws" and "Ls" of the last couple of years.... I'm thinking
of that wonderful thread in the BONEYARD about Lou Lopez Senechal and her visit
to that young girls' BB team in EUROPE. A good read for Sarah! === Join the Tradition of
wonderful players and wonderful young women!!

Reaction Score
Sarah Strong: At UCONN no one is an "automatic start"... but like Paige and Azzi, and
surely some notable others.... I would not bet against Sarah...SO....IF SHE REALLY WANTS IT...
GO FOR IT SARAH!
Sarah has as good a chance to start as any of our front-court options, and a smaller chance she could even start at the 3. Her biggest obstacle to starting was an Aaliyah return. Aubrey is the only proven option up front, and she probably won't be a factor when the season begins. All of the other front-court options have had significant injury issues, and the ones that were highly rated coming in (Ayanna, Ice and Amari) have not yet performed up to their HS rankings.

A number 1 recruit with a versatile skill set, and no known injury issues should project higher than any of our big options with the possible exception of Aubrey when she is ready.

Reaction Score
I also wonder if she was waiting on Edwards decision as it absolutely impacted potential playing time.
She might very well be waiting for a roster position to be open, but I don't think playing time is as much a consideration as poisoning the waters with another school. If she came out and said "UConn" and then had to walk that back and pick either Duke or UNC I don't think anyone at either school would be overjoyed at playing second fiddle. In fact, if I was Geno I would advise her to avoid that situation. Better to let Duke/NC believe they are her dream school if she had to go there.

Reaction Score
I personally would not tolerate being the 16th person on a team knowing that I'm getting charity from another player. I would have a big problem with that. I can't believe anyone with an ounce of self-respect would allow themselves to be put in that position.
A scholarship is charity from the university. Every scholar/athlete enrolled at UConn, or any other university, has taken the place that another less athletically gifted potential student will never get to occupy. Do scholar/athletes personally lack self-respect for accepting that charity?

Reaction Score
I wonder how Mulkey and Staley feel about Strongs final three? I reaaalllyyy licensure chances. Plus, her mom is so close to her at Boston..

Reaction Score
A scholarship is charity from the university. Every scholar/athlete enrolled at UConn, or any other university, has taken the place that another less athletically gifted potential student will never get to occupy. Do scholar/athletes personally lack self-respect for accepting that charity?
Let's say the charitable person is Paige. The 16th person would have to face Paige every single day in the locker room. What kind of strained relationship would that be? That's a little different than accepting an athletic scholarship. As far as the kid who just misses getting a scholarship, they ain't in the locker room either.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
View attachment 97712

Flagrant 1 on Husky Nan
No pity here. Cooper Flagg isn’t going to Duke because of the weather. But, he can count his money while he’s reading about the Big East tournament at Madison Square Garden in front of 19,000 screaming people, 70% of them UConn fans, while the crickets sing at the ACC tourney.

I’m in NYC now and it’s unbelievable. And, looky, they lit up the Empire State Building to honor UConn’s win last night (yes, really)

Enjoy the peace and quiet in North Carolina, Cooper

6A9A02B0-F24B-4865-8958-3EF5C73DF42E.jpeg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don’t buy that Strong’s decision comes down to where she has the best chance to start. I think she is genuinely weighing the options of either staying close to home at one of two NC universities or making a “leap of faith” to the basketball capital of the world.

She’s probably getting pressured by friends and perhaps family members to stay closer to home. Hopefully, Geno & UConn are in her heart, and will ultimately win her decision.

Reaction Score
Let's say the charitable person is Paige. The 16th person would have to face Paige every single day in the locker room. What kind of strained relationship would that be? That's a little different than accepting an athletic scholarship. As far as the kid who just misses getting a scholarship, they ain't in the locker room either.
Do you seriously think that Paige doing such a charitable thing would create discord in the locker room? How? Why? If anything, I would argue that it would engender deep gratitude and admiration from the other student/athlete. And I'd argue that it would create equal admiration from the rest of the UConn team as well. Your argument strains credulity.

My original comment was meant in praise of Paige as a person and as a teammate. It truly mystifies me how that has generated so much indignity and outrage. Well, it is the internet after all.

And I continue to believe every word in my original comment.

Reaction Score
So
I personally would not tolerate being the 16th person on a team knowing that I'm getting charity from another player. I would have a big problem with that. I can't believe anyone with an ounce of self-respect would allow themselves to be put in that position.
if u were a walk on and a teammate offered you their scholarship cause they could afford it better you would refuse even if you worked just as hard every day

Reaction Score
Sarah's parents are well qualified having extensive BB backgrounds and have seen UConn with all it's benefits reach unbelievable achievements!
When you weigh all the facts the #1 player in this class would also soar at UConn!
Agree with rshermvikes. Sarah may make her own decision but if she asks her mom (Allison Feaster) the answer will be UConn. Her mom played in the WNBA from 1998-2006. Her rivals included Nykesha, Sveta, Sue, Swin, Asjha and Diana. Now she works for the Celtics and she sees many UConn women who have also made a career from basketball - Rebecca, Jenn, Swin, Asjha, Renee, Carla, Nykesha, Jamelle, Ashley, etc. For the last 25 years she has seen the value of playing for Geno at UConn and her advice should be to head to Storrs. I think it was a somewhat similar situation with Azzi and her mom and that worked out okay.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
i don't consider scholarships 'charity' at all (this applies to skeets post too) and i can't conceive that paige would consider sacrificing a scholarship an act of charity. rather, it's a sign of her passion for the team and winning.

why does that signify a recipient of said scholarship would lose 'self-respect'?

and if indeed charity, what's wrong with that? pride is a deadly sin, supposedly. kid must be full of pride to feel taking any scholarship harms his/her self-respect.

OTOH, not sure the NCAA would accept that paige's 'sacrifice' would pass muster re: roster limits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr