Who will replace the graduated points and rebounds for us this season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who will replace the graduated points and rebounds for us this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
AND.... if Morgan stays healthy, she will average a double-double. :D:D

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Do you know that she minds? I've heard Geno refer to her as Kaleena Lewis a few times. I also have a hyphenated last name, but I casually refer to myself with only one last name to avoid confusion, so it's not a given that KML would take offense.

How you introduce yourself is your business. I have no idea if Kaleena "minds" being called Lewis by Geno or anyone else. I know for sure that her name is Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and I believe that is what she be referred to (or KML) here unless or until she indicates otherwise.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How you introduce yourself is your business. I have no idea if Kaleena "minds" being called Lewis by Geno or anyone else. I know for sure that her name is Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and I believe that is what she be referred to (or KML) here unless or until she indicates otherwise.
Well I doubt she is going to come on here and indicate what she wants to be referred to on the BY. Also I don't recall her ever saying she preferred Mosqueda-Lewis or KML or Kaleena or Kal or KLM.

(Arrgggghhhh!!!! Why the hell am I getting into THIS pi$$ing contest?)

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
This was a great thread. Suffice it to say that I am sure no one here meant any insult to KML, nor any offense to anyone who reads the boards. Going forward I will keep KML's full name in mind when I reference her. I think we oughtn't let the main idea of the thread escape us. The fact that we lost three fantastic players and that we have enough in reserve and enough new talent coming in to make up for the loss is a great testament to Geno and his coaching staff, their recruiting philosophy and the hard work the players on our team bring everyday to practice during the season and the off season. :)

Reaction Score
You know, I honestly thought I was pretty measured in my response, so I'm not really sure why you have to bring out the bolding and the airquotes.

There are established standards on how it is polite to refer to people (i.e. I'm assuming you don't get angry when a poster omits a player's middle name), but hyphenated last names really don't have a cultural standard. Some people use their full last name and feel strongly about it, and some people casually shorten it. I would suggest that the fact that Geno has on several occasions referred to her as Kaleena Lewis suggests to me that she is likely a person who feels less strongly about it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It isn't her middle name it is her proper last name hyphen and all.

Reaction Score
It isn't her middle name it is her proper last name hyphen and all.
I think you missed my point which was that, while it's clearly socially acceptable to omit someone's middle name, those social standards aren't as clear when it comes to hyphenated last names. KML isn't her proper name either, but no one takes issue with that (or Stef, Mo, Stewie, or most ways that we shorten players' names). Maybe, in the absence of evidence that she feels strongly about it, and in the presence of evidence that she doesn't care, we could all lighten up about it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Once and for all. Kaleena's last name is Mosqueda-Lewis. Do the courteous thing and call her that (or KML), not the truncated "Lewis."

I thought they were talking about Jerry Lewis...I was confused.

JS

Reaction Score
Some people use their full last name and feel strongly about it, and some people casually shorten it. I would suggest that the fact that Geno has on several occasions referred to her as Kaleena Lewis suggests to me that she is likely a person who feels less strongly about it.
You're right that Geno has used the shortened form, though examples seem confined to around the time she first came to UConn. Certainly it's convenient.

It's also most likely her legal name. She informally added the Mosqueda when she entered high school, in order to honor her mother and her mother's side of the family. There's no report of a legal name change.

But she told Carl Adamec the name change "was really important to me" [at the time she made it] -- and it's fair to assume absent contrary evidence her feelings haven't changed. So there IS some evidence she feels strongly about it, and I think it's proper and respectful to use the name she chose for herself.

No need to jump on each other about it though. I agree with the sentiment that this exchange -- slightly testy on both sides it seems -- is a distraction from the thread topic that needn't be prolonged..

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think you missed my point which was that, while it's clearly socially acceptable to omit someone's middle name, those social standards aren't as clear when it comes to hyphenated last names. KML isn't her proper name either, but no one takes issue with that (or Stef, Mo, Stewie, or most ways that we shorten players' names). Maybe, in the absence of evidence that she feels strongly about it, and in the presence of evidence that she doesn't care, we could all lighten up about it.
Actually, Kaleena has said she prefers her entire last name be used but understands it is long and the use of KML. She said it on tape last season. Her statement was clear. Here is a SNY piece that addressed the issue of why her hyphenated name is important to her. It is plain and simple.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I think...we have appropriately exhausted the full breathe of how to properly address Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis so perhaps we can get on with the original intent of the thread which I believe was a wonderful and timely idea. By the way, one final caveat with regards to Kaleena's many monikers...anyone recall Geno referring to Kaleena as simply "K"?

Reaction Score
Actually, Kaleena has said she prefers her entire last name be used but understands it is long and the use of KML. She said it on tape last season. Her statement was clear. Here is a SNY piece that addressed the issue of why her hyphenated name is important to her. It is plain and simple.
OK, that was the information that I was missing (and had initially asked for).

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Somebody awaken me when Kara Lawson or Rebecca Lobo refer to the Michigan wcbb coach as Kim Barnes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I knew an Ann Marie and made the mistake of calling her Ann - once. "That's not my name" I was told in no uncertain terms.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
From now on please refer to me as "Dude", I am discovering my inner Lebowski.
I assume we can go with His Dudeness, or Duder or El Duderino if we are not into that whole brevity thing.

Reaction Score
Ummm I believe her name is Rebecca Rose Lobo-Rushin. Please can we not be disrespectful? Geez.

You're gonna hurt yourself if you fall off that high horse of yours.
And that's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer