Who will guard Shatori Walker-Kimbrough? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who will guard Shatori Walker-Kimbrough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We've been told for the past two + years on this board and elsewhere what a great defensive player Kia Nurse is. We've been reminded ad nauseum about her grit and toughness and her strength of mind. Well Thursday night we'll get an opportunity to see all of that on display, Walker-Kimbrough as Connecticut fans remember from the game last season is the real deal, but Connecticut's defense held KMitch to 4 second-half points so I look forward to this match-up. I called this one before the season as the one that breaks the streak.
Bite your tongue, "iamcbs" ;-) I thought it would be Baylor and then I thought it would be South Carolina. I knew Texas would not be a challenge. I originally thought that Maryland and UCONN would be a coin flip - except for the home advantage to Maryland, but as UCONN grew through synergy, I now give UCONN the edge by less than 10.

Reaction Score
In response to the thread question, the way they played Kelsey Mitchell in second half of OSU game may provide some clue, although the presence of Jones limits Geno`s flexibility IMHO.

There, it was a combination of Nurse, Williams and Dangerfield. They all played her very tight and got double team help, esp. from Collier, when she took it to the hole.

A problem is that Jones is better than the OSU bigs so Geno may have less flexibility in using Williams on Kimbrough, and in sending a double team at her. The double team focus is probably Jones.

So, I`m guessing mostly Nurse straight up.

Wouldn`t be surprised to see UConn in some zone as well, especially if there is foul trouble. I think UConn played some zone against Baylor, esp. when Butler was in the game, but my memory is admittedly hazy.

I haven`t seen Maryland play so don`t know if going zone against them is a good idea or not. They don`t appear to rely on the three pointer much, making 65 in 12 games.
Good observations.... also, having Butler in the paint for half the game might limit Jones.

Reaction Score
I agree. I also would like to have Bent really step up. She sure looks like a tough kid.
Unless it's a blowout, unfortunately the only chance Bent gets to step up will be during timeouts.

Reaction Score
In the past we had Kelly Farris who always had the job of hawking the best the opposing team had to offer - then we had Moriah Jefferson.

so, who is that one player who will go to no ends to neutralize that hot shot shooting star - in this case, Shatori Walker-Kimbrough?

Williams and Collier are more than capable of being on Walker-Kimbrough but their skills are needed more on the boards. Both of these ladies are big enough to block shots and that is why I lean away from Dangerfield and Chong.

That pretty well leaves Nurse to guard Walker-Kimbrough, but she has to do it in a way to prevent fouling out of the game.

Another person comes to mind - Bent. I believe she can have the job because she appears to have the grit that Farris had in the day. Irwin has the height but not the speed nor the experience to guard a dynamic player like Walker-Kimbrough.

In the past, UCONN could do this by committee, but with the short bench, there is no committee.

My gut is Nurse / Bent

Bent is going to be a solid player down the line but she is not ready for big time games yet.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
forgot about Gillespie, how is she doing this season?
Not nearly a well ass she did during the first few games of her Freshmen season where she actually got meaningful minutes and a few starts if memory serves. This year she is not shooting well 37% overall, & she has not started a game. MD is loaded at her position SF with Leslie, Small, Charles (starting as a Freshmen) & Brionna Jones' younger sister Stephanie.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Everyone seems focused on Individual defenders, you know why Geno never worries about any individual betting his team, because it will be a team effort on defense which will hopefully force Maryland into several turnovers giving Uconn about 30 points off turnovers in this match-up.. I'm expecting a sped up game offensively despite having a short bench and several traps defensively.. How the game is called will be huge, UCONN will look to draw some charges against Jones and try to put her in early foul trouble... If Gabby Williams have a huge game against Maryland, UCONN by double digits.. Let the game begin.. Can't wait to see how it all plays out... Maryland has a very good team despite all the ribbing received on this board.. Should be fun to watch if both teams bring their A games..

Reaction Score
With UCONN's switching defense, SWK may have five different defenders til the game ends.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In response to the thread question, the way they played Kelsey Mitchell in second half of OSU game may provide some clue, although the presence of Jones limits Geno`s flexibility IMHO.

There, it was a combination of Nurse, Williams and Dangerfield. They all played her very tight and got double team help, esp. from Collier, when she took it to the hole.

A problem is that Jones is better than the OSU bigs so Geno may have less flexibility in using Williams on Kimbrough, and in sending a double team at her. The double team focus is probably Jones.

So, I`m guessing mostly Nurse straight up.

Wouldn`t be surprised to see UConn in some zone as well, especially if there is foul trouble. I think UConn played some zone against Baylor, esp. when Butler was in the game, but my memory is admittedly hazy.

I haven`t seen Maryland play so don`t know if going zone against them is a good idea or not. They don`t appear to rely on the three pointer much, making 65 in 12 games.

Walker-Kimbrough is not worthy of a double team like Kelsey Mitchell because she cannot create her own shot. Very dangerous proposition to double SW-K because on the perimeter you are either doubling off of Confroy or Slocum who are 41% 3 ball shooters. Straight up is the way to go on all 3 MD perimeter players. MD other two starters Charles & Jones have two three point attempts on the season.
The operative word for the game is Freshmen. When was the last time a Freshmen PG beat UCONN?
That is the challenge Slocum is facing tomorrow. And don't tell anyone I told you this, but MD doesn't have a backup PG.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I agree about McGuff and Mitchell. Three years and looks the same in the stat dept. Geno would have her at 1st or 2nd team All American - if she was open to adjusting her play to meet his demands for improvement.

Mitchell has already been a 2nd team All-American and a 1st team All-American without Coach Geno's help :rolleyes:

She hasnt been a boneyard all-american though :oops:

Reaction Score
Walker-Kimbrough is not worthy of a double team like Kelsey Mitchell because she cannot create her own shot. Very dangerous proposition to double SW-K because on the perimeter you are either doubling off of Confroy or Slocum who are 41% 3 ball shooters. Straight up is the way to go on all 3 MD perimeter players. MD other two starters Charles & Jones have two three point attempts on the season.
The operative word for the game is Freshmen. When was the last time a Freshmen PG beat UCONN?
That is the challenge Slocum is facing tomorrow. And don't tell anyone I told you this, but MD doesn't have a backup PG.

You obviously haven't watched her in person and up close.

I had a seat behind the Maryland bench when USF played Maryland a couple of years ago. Shatori had me in awe that game. She was doing drives from the corner like I have only seen Michael Jordan do. One second she would get the ball and the next it would seem like everyone else was standing still and she was flying next to the basket waist high above everyone else.

You have to be at floor level and close to the floor to appreciate what she can do.

Probably the most dynamic player in WCBB today.

Reaction Score
Mitchell has already been a 2nd team All-American and a 1st team All-American without Coach Geno's help :rolleyes:

She hasnt been a boneyard all-american though :oops:
No one is even hinting that she is not deserving of All American status. many women make All American without ever going to UCONN.

In fact, my question honors her because I realize that the best UCONN player/players have to guard her to try to minimize her performance - it might not work. Even if they focus on SKW, Jones will be available frequently.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Everyone seems focused on Individual defenders, you know why Geno never worries about any individual betting his team, because it will be a team effort on defense which will hopefully force Maryland into several turnovers giving Uconn about 30 points off turnovers in this match-up.. I'm expecting a sped up game offensively despite having a short bench and several traps defensively.. How the game is called will be huge, UCONN will look to draw some charges against Jones and try to put her in early foul trouble... If Gabby Williams have a huge game against Maryland, UCONN by double digits.. Let the game begin.. Can't wait to see how it all plays out... Maryland has a very good team despite all the ribbing received on this board.. Should be fun to watch if both teams bring their A games..
I respectfully disagree. This year it is by committee but for the past 5 - 6 years, Kelly Farris had the duty - in lieu of refining her own offensive skills. Then the.gauntlet was passed to Morriah Jefferson for opposing excellent guards and to Stewie or Stokes or Tuck for great bigs. I agree, Maryland will be loaded for bear. They are an excellent team with an excellent coaching staff. UCONN cannot look past Maryland to focus on 90 or even 99 or 100. You cannot get to the higher numbers without defeating Maryland,

Reaction Score
With UCONN's switching defense, SWK may have five different defenders til the game ends.
I agree, Rixxx, this year it is by committee - for the previous 6 years or so, Farris or Jefferson had the job on great guards and Tuck or Stokes for bigs.

Reaction Score
I also hope that if some UCONN starters get into foul trouble, that Geno will trust Molly Bent to engage in stifling defense minutes for a couple of spurts. I think she is ready for a breakout performance. No, she will not play unless absolutely necessary, but if she does play, she will make the most of it. She reminds me of the hustle Farris showed during her career.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No way in hell this is an advantage for UConn. Just because Slocum is a freshman doesn't mean she's at a talent disadvantage (especially on her home court). I heard on this board that Chong is slow and if that is the case Destiny will blow by her at will. On defense, Slocum plays very, very hard and is very good at getting steals.
Also, one important thing you left out.
Maryland bench (Fraser, Gillespie, Watson, Smalls, SJones) vs UConn bench Dangerfield, Butler + for Maryland
Hopefully none of the UConn players caught Geno's cold. If they did it will be a long game for UConn. Especially in the 4th quarter. I think Fraser could be huge in the game. She has played very well this season.
My hat is off to you for speaking up on the Terps behalf on this board. With that said, I just looked at the Louisville box score and honestly, only 7 players played substantial minutes in a tight game-Fraser and S Jones off the bench. So do you think Brenda will really use more than that in this game? As has been noted numerous time (and with an all-time fav quote) "Maryland has more cupcakes that the school bake sale on their schedule" that I think the depth is a bit overblown here but I truly don't know and am curious to your thoughts (or any of my other esteemed colleagues on this site). Thanks.

Reaction Score
I heard on this board that Chong is slow...

That would be UConn Slow, which is still faster than the vast majority of defenders out there. Add to that technique and experience, and she is more than just a capable defender.

Bottom line is that there isn't a single team in the country who can man-up against the 7-deep UConn floor without a significant disadvantage in at least two positions, which is why teams usually end up trying a couple of gimmick zones (box-and-one, triangle-and-two, diamond-and-one, etc) before they have to lock into a matchup zone and make the best of it. Maryland is talented, but has to depend on freshman at a couple of those positions, which will likely create at least one disadvantage at times.

Should be a fun game. I wonder how strong the UConn fanbase will be in the arena?

Reaction Score
My hat is off to you for speaking up on the Terps behalf on this board. With that said, I just looked at the Louisville box score and honestly, only 7 players played substantial minutes in a tight game-Fraser and S Jones off the bench. So do you think Brenda will really use more than that in this game? As has been noted numerous time (and with an all-time fav quote) "Maryland has more cupcakes that the school bake sale on their schedule" that I think the depth is a bit overblown here but I truly don't know and am curious to your thoughts (or any of my other esteemed colleagues on this site). Thanks.
I actually like your board. Some very knowledgeable posters here.
As far as our depth, in the major games Brenda tend to shorten the bench because she trust the starters so much. Slocum, SWK, Confroy and Brionna Jones will pay 30+ minutes if not in foul trouble. Fraser has had a good year and will play in place of Charles. Even though they don't play alot of minutes, Stephanie Jones, Gillespie, Watson and Small will play important minutes in the game. Even Sarah Myers played important minutes in the Louisville game. We are very, very deep this season.

Reaction Score
They are very athletic and will occasionally overplay passing lanes...

An excellent point. When a player overplays and loses, it becomes a 5-on-4 game until they can recover. A passing offense like UConn's will carve that up in no time. Defensively UConn is getting better at recovering, but they aren't there yet, so we give up some easy baskets. Moriah overplayed all the time, but she had Stewie to clean up after her, so it (usually) was a good gamble.

You need a disciplined defense to cover for overplay, and (thus far) MD hasn't shown that they are at that point, yet.

Reaction Score
I also hope that if some UCONN starters get into foul trouble, that Geno will trust Molly Bent to engage in stifling defense minutes for a couple of spurts. I think she is ready for a breakout performance. No, she will not play unless absolutely necessary, but if she does play, she will make the most of it. She reminds me of the hustle Farris showed during her career.
I too would like to see Bent give Nurse or Dangerfield a blow and cover SWK for a couple of minutes a few times. I think she can handle it, the rest will be important, and it would do wonders for Bent's confidence.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You obviously haven't watched her in person and up close.
I had a seat behind the Maryland bench when USF played Maryland a couple of years ago. Shatori had me in awe that game. She was doing drives from the corner like I have only seen Michael Jordan do. One second she would get the ball and the next it would seem like everyone else was standing still and she was flying next to the basket waist high above everyone else.
You have to be at floor level and close to the floor to appreciate what she can do.
Probably the most dynamic player in WCBB today.
Actually I have seen SWK play in person for 3 consecutive years last time was the Towson in early December.
What powerful hallucinogens were you on for SWK to conjure up images of MJ?

Reaction Score
Great point. This has worried me since the beginning of the season. You have:

Chong/Dangerfield vs Slocum - not too worried about this matchup. Slocum is really good and plays very hard.
Nurse vs SWK - Nurse can handle SWK and no real height advantage either way. (SWK has extremely long arms though)
Collier vs Charles - the best thing about this matchup for Maryland is they can through different people at her (Stephanie Jones, Gillespie, Watson, Smalls)

The remaining two players for each team is a negative and positive for Maryland. Jones is great offensively but who is she going to defend on defense? The main problem is Confroy. She is at a terrible height disadvantage against KLS but Brenda loves her to death. The best matchups for KLS are Fraser, Gillespie and Stephanie Jones. You can have them guard KLS and have Brionna Jones dominate against Gabby down low. It will be interesting to see how Brenda uses her deep bench in this game. I doubt Brenda will do this but I would have Jenna Staiti at 6'6" play some against Butler. This will give Jones a blow at the end of quarters and most importantly Jones won't pick up any stupid fouls guarding Butler. Jones need to stay out of foul trouble. Maryland have way more options in this game than the basic Short answer is Kia scenario.

So are you saying that Brionna will defensively dominate Gabby when you stated," You can have them guard KLS and have Brionna Jones dominate against Gabby down low?" I agree Brionna will be handful on offense but she is no way going to dominate Gabby on the other side of the ball. Look at what she did against Notre Dame and Brianna is quicker than Brionna while being much better at protecting the paint (which showed with a couple of blocks but other wise all would agree Gabby was the star of the game.) Her speed and athletic ability is hard to gauge until you see it in person or consistently watching the UCONN games. It will be good game for sure but lets not start talking about any player dominating anything.

Reaction Score
I stand by my opinion that Shatori is the most dynamic player in WCBB...or maybe I should say "can be".

One thing I noticed when I went to the games at Maryland was that Brenda really got into her face a couple of times. One time she did one of those awesome drives when she got back into the game. It was pretty stunning!

I haven't noticed her doing that kind of drive in the last two seasons especially against UCONN. Maybe that coaching approach doesn't work well in motivating her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I stand by my opinion that Shatori is the most dynamic player in WCBB...or maybe I should say "can be".

One thing I noticed when I went to the games at Maryland was that Brenda really got into her face a couple of times. One time she did one of those awesome drives when she got back into the game. It was pretty stunning!

I haven't noticed her doing that kind of drive in the last two seasons especially against UCONN. Maybe that coaching approach doesn't work well in motivating her.
"Can be" sounds a lot like "If". I disagree with your opinion, SWK is not even the most dynamic player on MD roster now IMO.

Reaction Score
"Can be" sounds a lot like "If". I disagree with your opinion, SWK is not even the most dynamic player on MD roster now IMO.

They don't seem to make her the focal point of their offense and she doesn't get the ball where she could be most effective. I say it's a coaching thing that holds her back.

She seems to be settling for threes these days.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They don't seem to make her the focal point of their offense and she doesn't get the ball where she could be most effective. I say it's a coaching thing that holds her back.
She seems to be settling for threes these days.
Huh...You would have a bigger coaching issue if for some reason Brenda took SWK who led the nation in 3Pt shooting last year( at over 50%) inside the arc so she can shoot more two. That kind of thing might get her fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom