Who will guard Shatori Walker-Kimbrough? | The Boneyard

Who will guard Shatori Walker-Kimbrough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the past we had Kelly Farris who always had the job of hawking the best the opposing team had to offer - then we had Moriah Jefferson.

so, who is that one player who will go to no ends to neutralize that hot shot shooting star - in this case, Shatori Walker-Kimbrough?

Williams and Collier are more than capable of being on Walker-Kimbrough but their skills are needed more on the boards. Both of these ladies are big enough to block shots and that is why I lean away from Dangerfield and Chong.

That pretty well leaves Nurse to guard Walker-Kimbrough, but she has to do it in a way to prevent fouling out of the game.

Another person comes to mind - Bent. I believe she can have the job because she appears to have the grit that Farris had in the day. Irwin has the height but not the speed nor the experience to guard a dynamic player like Walker-Kimbrough.

In the past, UCONN could do this by committee, but with the short bench, there is no committee.

My gut is Nurse / Bent

Reaction Score
In the past we had Kelly Farris who always had the job of hawking the best the opposing team had to offer - then we had Moriah Jefferson.

so, who is that one player who will go to no ends to neutralize that hot shot shooting star - in this case, Shatori Walker-Kimbrough?

Williams and Collier are more than capable of being on Walker-Kimbrough but their skills are needed more on the boards. Both of these ladies are big enough to block shots and that is why I lean away from Dangerfield and Chong.

That pretty well leaves Nurse to guard Walker-Kimbrough, but she has to do it in a way to prevent fouling out of the game.

Another person comes to mind - Bent. I believe she can have the job because she appears to have the grit that Farris had in the day. Irwin has the height but not the speed nor the experience to guard a dynamic player like Walker-Kimbrough.

In the past, UCONN could do this by committee, but with the short bench, there is no committee.

My gut is Nurse / Bent

After the Ohio State game, Coach Auriemma said that they handled Mitchell by presenting different defenses/defenders. That strategy has the potential of slowing her down, since what may work against one defender might not work against another. But you mention fouls, and that is a key: dont let her (or other MD players) draw fouls, i.e., sucker you into fouling. MD won against both Washington State and Louisville on the foul line, not from the floor!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Short answer is Kia.
Longer answer is that more matchup favor UCONN.
Gabby on Charles (Freshmen) + UCONN
Saniya on Slocum (Freshmen) + UCONN
Napheesa ( with Lots of help) + Natalie on Jones + For MD
KLS on Comfroy + for UCONN

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I can never hear the name S W-K without thinking "Shatori Kemba-Walker".

Yes, he would be tough to guard. Thankfully, he was on the side of the Huskies...

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score

My gut is Nurse / Bent
We've been told for the past two + years on this board and elsewhere what a great defensive player Kia Nurse is. We've been reminded ad nauseum about her grit and toughness and her strength of mind. Well Thursday night we'll get an opportunity to see all of that on display, Walker-Kimbrough as Connecticut fans remember from the game last season is the real deal, but Connecticut's defense held KMitch to 4 second-half points so I look forward to this match-up. I called this one before the season as the one that breaks the streak.

HGN

Reaction Score
Short answer is Kia.
Coco , I like the way you think on this matter. I think UConn has the size and experience advantage in every matchup except with Jones. Jones is going to be a problem unless we double down on her and try to make her a passer.
If we can stay out of foul trouble we can pull this off.

One factor that hasn't been discussed much here is Maryland has to guard UConn too. I don't think Md has an answer for Katie Lou.......(Not many teams do). Maryland has a young team , though they go deeper into their bench. I don't believe they really want to go any deeper than about 8 players here. After 8 it gets younger and even more inexperienced. The same with UConn.

This is going to be a good game and test for both teams. If UConn brings its 'A' Game and can control the fouls the Huskies can win it. If Maryland can not control Lou and Naphessa its going to be a long night for the Terps.

I think the Huskies prevail.

HGN

Reaction Score
We've been told for the past two + years on this board and elsewhere what a great defensive player Kia Nurse is. We've been reminded ad nauseum about her grit and toughness and her strength of mind. Well Thursday night we'll get an opportunity to see all of that on display, Walker-Kimbrough as Connecticut fans remember from the game last season is the real deal, but Connecticut's defense held KMitch to 4 second-half points so I look forward to this match-up. I called this one before the season as the one that breaks the streak.
You mean you didn't have the Buckeyes breaking the streak? :eek:

Reaction Score
I wish I could catch a game on replay so I could comment on this years MD's players. Going on memory from last years game which was at Madison Square Garden. Big lights for both teams. More so MD then because UCONN has played at that venue for a few years at the Maggie Dixon Classic. Jones is slow, she will never catch up if UCONN takes off in transition or fast break. Walker-Kimbrough is fast but not un-guardable. There is no way Bent see's the floor unless 1. injury and she is forced to 2. blow out (uconn with BIG lead) and she gets in under a minute . UCONN had self inflicted turnovers in first half last year. They did not play well. I thought they made Jones look like a superstar. UCONN starters were all there last years game and played minutes. They are a completely different team this year and loaded with lots of weapons. Go Huskies :cool:

Reaction Score
Short answer is Kia.
No way in hell this is an advantage for UConn. Just because Slocum is a freshman doesn't mean she's at a talent disadvantage (especially on her home court). I heard on this board that Chong is slow and if that is the case Destiny will blow by her at will. On defense, Slocum plays very, very hard and is very good at getting steals.
Also, one important thing you left out.
Maryland bench (Fraser, Gillespie, Watson, Smalls, SJones) vs UConn bench Dangerfield, Butler + for Maryland
Hopefully none of the UConn players caught Geno's cold. If they did it will be a long game for UConn. Especially in the 4th quarter. I think Fraser could be huge in the game. She has played very well this season.

Reaction Score
Short answer is Kia.

Chong has the experience and knowledge of the Uconn D system---her assets ! She is a bit slow and not really quick. I suspect that sometime during the game--Danger shall get to defend one of the MD frosh--believing MD's freshman mistakes will more than cancel a well trained Uconn Frosh. We;ll see
But I like your Natalie/Collier assignment--that was my opinion. The only tw0 from MD that stayed in my brain were Walker---when she is hot, she is tough to guard and Jones is a really good shooter--but earns her keep under the basket with bull strength--(hopefully Natalie can match her muscle to muscle /weight to weight) Collier and Gabby I believe will get theirs as will Katie lou--but she will be hounded by MD's best defensive experts. Bump, push, shove, pull---physically wearing. Kia--this is where she shines---she'll also pick up fouls.

Reaction Score
One factor that hasn't been discussed much here is Maryland has to guard UConn too. I don't think Md has an answer for Katie Lou..(Not many teams do).
Great point. This has worried me since the beginning of the season. You have:

Chong/Dangerfield vs Slocum - not too worried about this matchup. Slocum is really good and plays very hard.
Nurse vs SWK - Nurse can handle SWK and no real height advantage either way. (SWK has extremely long arms though)
Collier vs Charles - the best thing about this matchup for Maryland is they can through different people at her (Stephanie Jones, Gillespie, Watson, Smalls)

The remaining two players for each team is a negative and positive for Maryland. Jones is great offensively but who is she going to defend on defense? The main problem is Confroy. She is at a terrible height disadvantage against KLS but Brenda loves her to death. The best matchups for KLS are Fraser, Gillespie and Stephanie Jones. You can have them guard KLS and have Brionna Jones dominate against Gabby down low. It will be interesting to see how Brenda uses her deep bench in this game. I doubt Brenda will do this but I would have Jenna Staiti at 6'6" play some against Butler. This will give Jones a blow at the end of quarters and most importantly Jones won't pick up any stupid fouls guarding Butler. Jones need to stay out of foul trouble. Maryland have way more options in this game than the basic Short answer is Kia scenario.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
forgot about Gillespie, how is she doing this season?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You know, some of us have gone on and on about who's to cover Kimbrough, who's to cover Jones etc. My question is, what do they have to cover Collier and her versatile game? What do they have to cover KLS and her mismatch advantages all over the floor? What do they have to counter UConn's maddening pace of play? When UConn rotates weak and strong side help on Jones and UConn runs SWK off the 3 pt line, what happens when the Terps offense becomes predictable? What happens when UConn's on ball defense makes entry passes and creating off the bounce difficult?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
One factor that hasn't been discussed much here is Maryland has to guard UConn too. I don't think Md has an answer for Katie Lou..(Not many teams do). Maryland has a young team , though they go deeper into their bench. I don't believe they really want to go any deeper than about 8 players here. After 8 it gets younger and even more inexperienced. The same with UConn..
MD does not match up well with UCONN because defensively they are not disciplined. They are very athletic and will occasionally overplay passing lanes and get some steals but they will struggle to guard the multiple actions off the height post sets and the multiple UCONN shooters on the perimeter. Brionna Jones has 13 blocked shots on the season & leads MD, so expect UCONN to deploy multiple Guards (Kia, Gabby, KLS) in the post.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
You mean you didn't have the Buckeyes breaking the streak? :eek:
Not even close, Kevin McGuff isn't a very good basketball coach. He accumulates a lot of talent but doesn't develop it at all. Kelsey Mitchell is the clearest example, she hasn't gotten better at any single facet of the game since her freshman year. She's a more experienced player now, but she's a junior who's never missed a game. tOSU is unfocused on offense as you saw in their game with Connecticut and they're indifferent on defense, how does a team continually leave Katie Lou Samuelson open on the wing for 3-pointers all game long. tOSU will continue to accumulate talent, as that as his specialty, but they'll never be a factor on the national stage.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With a week to prepare, I suspect Geno will throw everything but the kitchen sink at MD, with multiple matchups, zone & possibly some pressure to rattle the freshmen.

The biggest concern is Jones, which is why Gabby will be near the basket in position to provide Pheesa with help on D. Kia should get the initial assignment on SWK. However, if SWK gets on a roll, I expect Geno will RELEASE THE KRAKEN, and put Gabby on her.

HGN

Reaction Score
Not even close, Kevin McGuff isn't a very good basketball coach. He accumulates a lot of talent but doesn't develop it at all. Kelsey Mitchell is the clearest example, she hasn't gotten better at any single facet of the game since her freshman year. She's a more experienced player now, but she's a junior who's never missed a game. tOSU is unfocused on offense as you saw in their game with Connecticut and they're indifferent on defense, how does a team continually leave Katie Lou Samuelson open on the wing for 3-pointers all game long. tOSU will continue to accumulate talent, as that as his specialty, but they'll never be a factor on the national stage.
Hmm......You're probably right.

Reaction Score
After the Ohio State game, Coach Auriemma said that they handled Mitchell by presenting different defenses/defenders. That strategy has the potential of slowing her down, since what may work against one defender might not work against another. But you mention fouls, and that is a key: dont let her (or other MD players) draw fouls, i.e., sucker you into fouling. MD won against both Washington State and Louisville on the foul line, not from the floor!
Great observations, thanks.

Reaction Score
Hmm.You're probably right.
I agree about McGuff and Mitchell. Three years and looks the same in the stat dept. Geno would have her at 1st or 2nd team All American - if she was open to adjusting her play to meet his demands for improvement.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
In response to the thread question, the way they played Kelsey Mitchell in second half of OSU game may provide some clue, although the presence of Jones limits Geno`s flexibility IMHO.

There, it was a combination of Nurse, Williams and Dangerfield. They all played her very tight and got double team help, esp. from Collier, when she took it to the hole.

A problem is that Jones is better than the OSU bigs so Geno may have less flexibility in using Williams on Kimbrough, and in sending a double team at her. The double team focus is probably Jones.

So, I`m guessing mostly Nurse straight up.

Wouldn`t be surprised to see UConn in some zone as well, especially if there is foul trouble. I think UConn played some zone against Baylor, esp. when Butler was in the game, but my memory is admittedly hazy.

I haven`t seen Maryland play so don`t know if going zone against them is a good idea or not. They don`t appear to rely on the three pointer much, making 65 in 12 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom