Who will be the fourth option for UConn in 2015-16? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who will be the fourth option for UConn in 2015-16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know the thread is about replacing KML's offensive output but you have to consider replacing rebounding also. KML provided some decent rebounding especially in her first two years. A front court of Stewart, Butler and Tuck with Williams off the bench is pretty formidable in that regard.

edit to add.....all four can also run the floor and won't bog down the offense.

There will be times he can go with Stewie/Tuck/Gabby/KLS/MoJeff or replace Collier with Gabby. Or replace Collier/Gabby with Butler then we have the same big type of lineup that we had when we moved KML to the sg. Geno did one time classify KLS as a sg. He specifically said once that she is a guard. But who knows if he meant it. However, the possibility is there.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised at the variety of answers. I think it's KLS and I don't think it's close. She might not start, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if KLS is our second or third leading scorer.

I'd be stunned / shocked if she is our 2nd leading scorer (bite my tongue) unless an injury or two arises.

I understand the premise and am assuming you meant 4th scoring option. I'd like to turn that premise on it's head. The UCONN player that will get the opportunity to be both a starter and most minutes will be the best defender. That best defender will have an opportunity to put points on the board simply because they will be on the floor longer and UCONN is rarely in need of points. So I would say the order is Butler, Nurse, The Pheenom, KLS.

Stokes was a better defender than Nurse but he gave more minutes to Nurse. The best defenders don't necessarily play more minutes. And even for example if Butler plays more minutes, which I would expect, I expect UCONN to actively look for KLS and encourage her to shoot from the point range. She's a hybrid of Stewie and KML.

She is taller and quicker than KML and she could probably attack the basket slightly better. Thus when players run out at her - you need more size. KLS will have an easier time getting off her shot. Even if it isn't a run out, when she squares up to the basket after catching a pass, she's not 5'10 but 6'2 or maybe 6'3. You can see STeiw can fire up a 3 anytime she wants. She would have probably taken more if she was hitting more. KLS will be able to face up and hit a ton of 3's that way. KLS is an efficient scorer from 3. Not every game will oen of the top defenders in wcbb be guarding her. She'll fire up at will.

If Collier is 6'2 or 6'3 I might change my mind. In a triple threat position and you're 6'2 or 6'3 with a handle, and can shoot, and are quick, you might be "unstoppable" in some manner of speak.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
HoopsFan21, I agree that Natalie will start and Morgan moves to KML's spot. That doesn't mean there won't be playing time for Gabby, KLS, Napheesa and De'Janae, along with Saniya and Courtney. Gabby will be first off the bench, and depending on the other team's starting lineup, she may start if we need to go small and quicker. Napheesa and KLS will get the most minutes of the freshman. As far as I know, De'Janae only plays the 3 or 4. With Breanna, Morgan, Natalie, Gabby and Napheesa, minutes will be difficult to come by.

I fear you are right about De'Janae, but I will be SO rooting for her.

Reaction Score
There will be times he can go with Stewie/Tuck/Gabby/KLS/MoJeff or replace Collier with Gabby. Or replace Collier/Gabby with Butler then we have the same big type of lineup that we had when we moved KML to the sg. Geno did one time classify KLS as a sg. He specifically said once that she is a guard. But who knows if he meant it. However, the possibility is there.

Oh sure I agree during the course of a game I think we will see many combinations. I'm just of the opinion that Butler is going to start and with increased production from Nurse the two will combine for the 4th option.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I look for Lou to come in off the bench, but as with Kaleena, to have the green light from day 1. They will run plays for her. She'll hit the deep ball, post up smaller players, and get to the FT line. I don't see her scoring more than Stewie or Morgan. More than Moriah? Possible. More than Kia? Possible to probable.

I also look for Napheesa to get lots of PT. Geno will love her hustle. So will we. She can get 10-12 points very quietly, just running the break and hitting putbacks.

Reaction Score
Oh sure I agree during the course of a game I think we will see many combinations. I'm just of the opinion that Butler is going to start and with increased production from Nurse the two will combine for the 4th option.

Here the thing in my view: I think it's easier for KLS to get off more shots than Nurse because she has more length and a quicker release. And a better shot. She doesn't need the space that Nurse needs. Of course Nurse can drive but from what I see so can KLS though Nurse probably does it better. But KLS can post too. . So to the extent that KLS has the size/length and better shot, every minute she is on the floor she'll have a much greater opportunity to shoot than Nurse.

As for Butler, -- our defense is going to shut down a ton of teams. Thus we're going to fastbreak a ton. We're going to want to play with pace. Lots of it. Many times as MoJeff drives on a fastbreak and she drags in the defenders to protect against her drive, she is going to look back for a 3 point shooter quite often. And when KLS is on the floor - MoJeff's 1st option to look for that three is going to be KLS (in those circumstances unless someone is on fire in that situation) not Stewie or Tuck or Nurse. IMO it will be KLS. So she is hitting 3's while Butler is hitting two in which most of her offense will come from slower half-court sets. I just think with Butler's minutes a decent about of it is going to be setting picks too. I don't see her getting a ton of touches inside to offset KLS's 3's in combination with many small teams will close in inside and "live with" UCONN's 3's. The bad teams or very small teams will be forced to pack in the paint and dare us ot hit outside shots rather than give up layups. And it's a lot harder to close on 6'2 or 6'3 KLS than it is for someone like Nurse.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
By my calendar, First Night is six months away. Lots of pickup games between now and then. Gives Geno ample time to figure this out.

I'll wait.

Impatiently.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
KLS also has an incredibly quick release on her three and she gets quite a lot of elevation on her jump as well. This is different from Kaleena who was not slow, but didn't jump very high, was not KLS quick, and was 3 inches shorter. With her speed and elevation she needs a lot less space to get her shot off.

Reaction Score
No way, Butler starts.
I don't think there's anyway that Chong starts. I'm thinking that by the midway point of the year, her minutes start diminishing, not increasing. Geno will have seen enough of KLS and Collier to trust them to get more and more playing time.

Reaction Score
Let's face it; Stewie took a beating this year. While she never complained, or backed off, that doesn't change that fact. Natalie Butler starts, and takes some of the pressure off of Stewie to be the rebounder and defender that she had to be this year. That being said, the OP, I think, is overlooking the play of Kia Nurse this year. Butler becomes the 5th scoring option, after Kia.

Reaction Score
No way, Butler starts.
Butler is not a "potential" good player--she was a double-double machine as a frosh. She then received a full year of UConn practices and insights about winning and growing as a team member. She has good bloodlines and she is hungry. Let me throw this out for debate--Butler is the #1 new face in the nation (new starter). With her two years of LIVE ACTION Butler is way ahead of ANY freshman coming in on any team (and I love KLS & NP.) Diamond DeShields is the only one that is in the same ballpark. Compare the top big girl recruit (K.Brown) with Butlers skill, size, and experience. Like Tuck, Butler is coming in as an Upper Classman.
Geno has his "Heinz Variety" of bench players to cover any situation that arises. Chong for speed, Gabby for athlete/inside, KLS as shooter, NP as slasher. Since defense dictates playing time (mostly) I see Gabby and NP as getting more time initially.

Reaction Score
I believe that Geno will work on making KLS a well rounded player for her future benefit. Those areas being defense, rebounding and post play. She may be the one ticketed to give Stewie her relief during the season and fill that role the following year. Her 3 point shooting is exceptional but I'm not sure how much need there will be for it during her first season.

Reaction Score
Coco- I totally disagree----as important as defense is with Geno- we have two really good on ball defenders, Stewie in the back and Tuck is a solid ut not prolific defender. Stokes came off the bench this season to help solidify defense, give down time to starters, and give us a different match up option. We need and will be replacing our KML opening with offense. Butler may be the starter. Which means Nurse will have to step up her offensive prowess- and she certainly shows the ability.
Gabby, KLS & Collier & Chong could easily be filling that scoring punch. I think our new prototypical center may be part of a large platooning of very capable players that will give us a lot of fresh legs and scoring punch from all directions and proximities on the court. I think we will see a very deep rotation regularly next year- right into and through the tmt---- He'll be making sure he knows who's ready to take over the reigns the following year when we lose a lot of star power. Just my opinion----its gonna be exciting. We will be more up tempo than ever next year.
And I think, he will really have the ability to press 40 minutes if he chooses to.
Geno doesn't seem to like the press all that well.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Last year, people assumed that Stokes would simply step in and replace Dolson. I was a bit skeptical, pointing out the vast differences between the two in shot range, scoring ability, passing, etc. It is not just as simple as taking another player and sliding that player into the graduating senior's spot.

Replacing KML is particularly difficult because of *what* she brought to the table. She made 121 three-point baskets in 2014-2015 (out of 248 attempts, for a percentage of .488). UConn's opponents, collectively, made 196 (out of 713 attempts, for a percentage of .268).

Now, some of you will mention how much Moriah Jefferson improved her outside shot. And she absolutely did. And Nurse, over the course of the season, became a much better (and more reliable) outside shooter. But part of the reason other UConn players were able to be so effective is because of the attention KML drew. Doubling on Stewart or Tuck left KML open, where was as close to automatic as any shooter I have seen. Keeping a shadow on KML meant that Jefferson could blow by her defender without having the help-side defense slide over.

Remember, KML was the biggest threat in the country beyond the arc. So UConn's challenge is how to replace her perimeter shooting (likely will not be with one player, but with the team collectively), as well as shifting the focus of the offensive schemes without the same level of a threat from beyond the arc.

I think UConn's offense could be just as good as it was this year. And if the freshmen come in and contribute, it may even be better because there will be a deeper bench and more minutes for the newbies to get adjusted to the big stage.

But I think it will look different than it did this year. I would expect fewer three-point attempts, but more driving and slashing (and likely more free throws).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Last year, people assumed that Stokes would simply step in and replace Dolson. I was a bit skeptical, pointing out the vast differences between the two in shot range, scoring ability, passing, etc. It is not just as simple as taking another player and sliding that player into the graduating senior's spot.

Replacing KML is particularly difficult because of *what* she brought to the table. She made 121 three-point baskets in 2014-2015 (out of 248 attempts, for a percentage of .488). UConn's opponents, collectively, made 196 (out of 713 attempts, for a percentage of .268).

Now, some of you will mention how much Moriah Jefferson improved her outside shot. And she absolutely did. And Nurse, over the course of the season, became a much better (and more reliable) outside shooter. But part of the reason other UConn players were able to be so effective is because of the attention KML drew. Doubling on Stewart or Tuck left KML open, where was as close to automatic as any shooter I have seen. Keeping a shadow on KML meant that Jefferson could blow by her defender without having the help-side defense slide over.

Remember, KML was the biggest threat in the country beyond the arc. So UConn's challenge is how to replace her perimeter shooting (likely will not be with one player, but with the team collectively), as well as shifting the focus of the offensive schemes without the same level of a threat from beyond the arc.

I think UConn's offense could be just as good as it was this year. And if the freshmen come in and contribute, it may even be better because there will be a deeper bench and more minutes for the newbies to get adjusted to the big stage.

But I think it will look different than it did this year. I would expect fewer three-point attempts, but more driving and slashing (and likely more free throws).
I agree about the impact of KML. The offense flowed so much better when she was on the floor. That might argue for max playing time for Lou, because she could be a plug-in for Kaleena. But I think Geno will modify the offense to fit the team, just as he did after Stef left.

Reaction Score
I agree about the impact of KML. The offense flowed so much better when she was on the floor. That might argue for max playing time for Lou, because she could be a plug-in for Kaleena. But I think Geno will modify the offense to fit the team, just as he did after Stef left.
KLS will be hard to keep out of the starting lineup.
Butler will be hard to keep out of the starting lineup.
Collier will be hard to keep out of the starting lineup.
Gabby may jump over all of them.

What to do.....?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
KLS will be hard to keep out of the starting lineup.
Butler will be hard to keep out of the starting lineup.
Collier will be hard to keep out of the starting lineup.
Gabby may jump over all of them.

What to do.....?
First world problems. :)

Reaction Score
I strongly agree that this is a strong possibility. Though I salivate at the prospect of a frontcourt of Stewie, Butler, and Tuck, I can see Geno liking the speed lineup. And Kia is not exactly small--she could handle most small forwards UCONN would face.
I absolutely do not agree. Saniya's role throughout the balance of her career will be coming off the bench. She's improved, particularly on the defensive side and has shown more confidence and is an asset but she is not a starter on this roster. With KLS and Collier, along with Butler, I can't fathom her in any other role. In a unique game, against a specific roster, she may get a start but the most likely scenario for her to start again will be her senior night celebration.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised at the variety of answers. I think it's KLS and I don't think it's close. She might not start, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if KLS is our second or third leading scorer.
I think KLS's only weakness is defensively and I have every reason to believe she will conquer it in short order. We've all talked about KML over time and though she became an adequate defender, her lack of quickness was an obstacle even in the end, though her positioning skills covered up those flaws as did the front line of Stewie and Kiah. I know KLS is quicker and will inevitably become a pretty fair defender. What she does on the offensive end, both as a scorer and also a facilitator will more than compensate for the occasional defensive lapse and I agree that she will be an extraordinary Huskie. She and Collier are going to be great fun to watch.

Reaction Score

I actually think with KLS's being quicker than KML, she might have an advantage over the KML we saw as a freshman, at least! She moves better and is taller and can create space better than did that version of KML we saw coming out of Mater Dei four years back. I can't see why we won't be a pretty good threat from 3 point range again, this year. I think we're in store for another amazing year though we will have a different look, for sure! It's possible we may be even more dangerous on the offensive end. Who will be able to keep up with upcoming team????

Reaction Score

I actually think with KLS's being quicker than KML, she might have an advantage over the KML we saw as a freshman, at least! She moves better and is taller and can create space better than did that version of KML we saw coming out of Mater Dei four years back. I can't see why we won't be a pretty good threat from 3 point range again, this year. I think we're in store for another amazing year though we will have a different look, for sure! It's possible we may be even more dangerous on the offensive end. Who will be able to keep up with upcoming this upcoming team?????

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Geno doesn't seem to like the press all that well.
Interesting observation- and he shared one of the reasons why which just blew me away. He said he gets nervous that it could drain his scorers so much, that their shooting and offense could suffer more than the gains from the defensive pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom