Who will be our basketball rivals in the new new big east? | The Boneyard

Who will be our basketball rivals in the new new big east?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Only saving grace of the new new big east is our main football "rivalry" game against Rutgers remains. Not much of a rivalry, but at least it's there.

For hoops, I guess we will have to hope PC finally breaks out. Maybe UConn-Gtown will replace Cuse-UConn, especiallly since GTown-Cuse is gone. Nova's on a downward path right now at a bad time, same with St. Johns with their nonqualifiers/lavin's health. After that it gets bleaker, UConn- Temple, can't really see happening as a riveting series , nor UConn-UCF/ECU/SHU/USF/DePaul/memphis.

Looking at other teams' rivalry: Nova-Georgetown looks to be the biggest rivalry game left. If/when louisville and WVU leave, UCF/USF should be fun, hopefully Marquette Depaul will add some spark.

Reaction Score
whoever is winning at the time will be our biggest rivals.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter.

Quick, name Memphis' rival. Gonzaga's? Butler's?...

Reaction Score
By the time Pitt and Cuse are able to leave the conference, the conference will not exist. Eventually going to have four 16 conference. So, Cuse will continue to be our rival for the next 2 seasons, then either going to still be Cuse in the ACC or someone in another conference (Big Ten/ Big Twelve). When the dust finally settles, UConn will be fine.

Reaction Score
By the time Pitt and Cuse are able to leave the conference, the conference will not exist. Eventually going to have four 16 conference. So, Cuse will continue to be our rival for the next 2 seasons, then either going to still be Cuse in the ACC or someone in another conference (Big Ten/ Big Twelve). When the dust finally settles, UConn will be fine.

If the Big 12 survives I see it being very unlikely that there will be only 4 major conferences. The Big 12 going to 14 or 16 now throws the ultimate monkey wrench in those plans. I could see the PAC 12 being stuck at 12 and the Big 10 being perfectly happy at 12.

Reaction Score
UCONN - Cuse, UCONN-Nova, UCONN-GT

Some of those have been epic and to think some of those rivalries may be lost or diminished is very disappointing. And what the Universities and media have really said is screw the fan, we need to grab all the TV football dollars we can. Could end up being very short sighted. We'll see.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i hope we never really have to find out. my worst case scenario is that UCONN gets stuck in a way watered down BE. the fact that anyone down there is still trying to sell the FB schools on the idea of a hybrid 10-18 scenario (or whatever it is going to be) is crazy IMHO. but if the FB schools buy it, then they most know something we don't. as a fan, i want us out of the BE ASAP.

Reaction Score
I can't even contemplate having to deal with "The New Big East" on any level whatsoever. The "replacement schools" that are being bandied about are totally unacceptable. Marinatto,for whatever reason,got blindsided. And,obviously loyalty,ethics and fundamental decency never entered th equation in Syracuse and Pittsburgh. Regardless of whether Louisville(and Rick "Talk first,think later" Pitino),Cincy and WVU bolt, I sincerely hope that the only real focus in Storrs is to get us the hell out of here asap. As in ASAP!!!! Obviously having us land in a situation that guarantees the long term security and success is part of the deal. Clearly,I don' want to rush into anything. But the idea of staying put just doesn't fly given the scenarios currently being speculated about.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Only saving grace of the new new big east is our main football "rivalry" game against Rutgers remains. Not much of a rivalry, but at least it's there.

For hoops, I guess we will have to hope PC finally breaks out. Maybe UConn-Gtown will replace Cuse-UConn, especiallly since GTown-Cuse is gone. Nova's on a downward path right now at a bad time, same with St. Johns with their nonqualifiers/lavin's health. After that it gets bleaker, UConn- Temple, can't really see happening as a riveting series , nor UConn-UCF/ECU/SHU/USF/DePaul/memphis.

Looking at other teams' rivalry: Nova-Georgetown looks to be the biggest rivalry game left. If/when louisville and WVU leave, UCF/USF should be fun, hopefully Marquette Depaul will add some spark.

Very productive post. Make a bunch of assumptions about a terrible future that does not yet exist, and then ask what people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom