Who were your childhood bball heroes? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Who were your childhood bball heroes?

Reaction Score
Who did you idolize growing up? NBA or college? Bench player or superstar? Did you have posters, or starting lineup figures?

This is particularly fun when you realize that as a kid, you probably couldn't discern real greatness. Our favorites often weren't the stars. Randomly seeing a great play by a role player was sometimes enough to turn you into a fan. Probably the reason why I had a huge Derrick Mckey poster above my bed.
The 1970 Knicks

Reaction Score
Agree with metsfan2323, Bernard King was by far my favorite player. He was a scoring machine! Too bad he blew out his knee, was never the same. Remember he had back to back 50 point games with taped up fingers on both hands.

And a starring role in Fast Break with Gabe Kaplan!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Magic Johnson. Still my all time favorite player. Even though I've been a Boston sports guy, I was actually a Laker fan in that era. Blasphemy I know, but I loved those showtime teams.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Magic Johnson. Still my all time favorite player. Even though I've been a Boston sports guy, I was actually a Laker fan in that era. Blasphemy I know, but I loved those showtime teams.
That sounds about right.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
Chris Smith and the 90 team for me. It started it all. 4 years later in the fall I attended UConn and been a season ticket holder since.

Reaction Score
Kirk King was so huge in that 96 Big East title game against Georgetown. No way we win without him.
Darn shame we missed out on seeing Kirk finish off his senior season. He could sky and he made 22 straight field goals and not all dunks either. I remember that game against Villanova.

Reaction Score
Who did you idolize growing up? NBA or college? Bench player or superstar? Did you have posters, or starting lineup figures?

This is particularly fun when you realize that as a kid, you probably couldn't discern real greatness. Our favorites often weren't the stars. Randomly seeing a great play by a role player was sometimes enough to turn you into a fan. Probably the reason why I had a huge Derrick Mckey poster above my bed.
Calvin Murphy, Wes B., Earl Monroe, John Havlicek

cwh20

Six is good!
Reaction Score
I picked my major sports teams in 1971. In the NBA it was Lew Alcindor and the Bucks. For UConn it was Whelton and Hanson after watching them warm up for a game in the HCC. Truthfully, I never fully got into the NBA though.

Reaction Score

Before Larry Bird came along it was John Havlicek. Sorry John

Reaction Score

Bailey Howell, got his autograph when I was 12 years old. Nice guy, talked with my dad, uncle, and myself for several minutes.

Reaction Score
I can’t pick a UConn player because that’s like picking your favorite grandchild.

The first guy I Truly was a fan of was Oscar Robertson . He was just so talented.
I liked Dr J and was a fan of the Nets who also had Super John Williamson , Brian Taylor and Larry Kenyon . A very fun team to watch .
Thats when I first grasped the three point shots future effect on BB .

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
College: Tony Hansen
NBA Pros: Jerry West & Gail Goodrich Lakers won 33 straight in the 71-71 season

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Not really when I was a kid, but teen/early adult roundball heroes were Russell, Robertson, Baylor, West and Wilkens.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sixers of the early 80's were my NBA team.

Dr. J- Obviously
Bobby Jones- Secretary of Defense
Andrew Toney- Boston Strangler

Eventually I started liking the power forwards who would bang, score a bit and rebound- Buck Williams, Dale Davis, Otis Thorpe, Charles Oakley type players.

Hated the Celtics but knew Bird and McHale were special.

Dominique, I think it was Brooks, but whatever he wore, that was my first real pair of basketball sneakers.

Loved Phi Slamma Jamma in college so followed Drexler and Olajuwon in the NBA. Also loved the UNLV teams with LJ and Sticks Augmon.

For UConn my memories really start with Corny, Al Frederick, Ray Brockton and Norman Bailey.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Ray was my basketball idol as a kid but I also loved Iverson and Kerry Kittles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom