Who were the other hot options when we hired BD? | The Boneyard

Who were the other hot options when we hired BD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The three considered finalists were Diaco, Narduzzi, and Pete Lembo.

Narduzzi wanted to hold out for a P5 job. Lembo had done a nice job at Ball State but struggled in his last two years before leaving to join DJ Durkin at MD.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Narduzzi(Pitt), Herman(sad face), chad morris(SMU), Lembo(Maryland assist)

Reaction Score
UConn Coaching Search Is Heating Up

Herman was a candidate, but at the time he'd only been at OSU two years and it wasn't unreasonable to pass him over, they didn't win the NC until the year after the hire and while he had two successful years at OC for OSU, it would've been a gamble to hire him as a HC at that point.

Reaction Score
Narduzzi(Pitt), Herman(sad face), chad morris(SMU), Lembo(Maryland assist)

Herman/Morris - options, yeah I guess but neither was ever rumored to be seriously interested or actually in the mix for the UConn job. (just on an assistant coach directory list someone perused for names).

Dave Clawson @ Wake was another name mentioned deeper into the process

Edit - see the article BB posted by Des but I don't believe/remember that Herman was anywhere near interview stage in the process).

Reaction Score
Clawson hsan't exactly lit up the world at Wake, neither has Morris at SMU. Really, Nardzzi and Herman have been the only two of the ones we looked at who have been successful.

Reaction Score
I was pushing hard for Derek Mason again another defensive guy but I'm impressed with what he's doing at Vanderbilt now. Although not sure he would of gone for uconn

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Herman/Morris - options, yeah I guess but neither was ever rumored to be seriously interested or actually in the mix for the UConn job. (just on an assistant coach directory list someone perused for names).

Dave Clawson @ Wake was another name mentioned deeper into the process

Edit - see the article BB posted by Des but I don't believe/remember that Herman was anywhere near interview stage in the process).
By "hot names"I thought he meant in general. My bad.

Reaction Score
I was pushing hard for Derek Mason again another defensive guy but I'm impressed with what he's doing at Vanderbilt now. Although not sure he would of gone for uconn
Would've been possible. Vandy is one of the toughest P5 jobs out there since you have to recruit against those SEC schools and you have the academic standards.

Reaction Score
By "hot names"I thought he meant in general. My bad.

Didn't mean to come across that way... there were a boodle of names thrown out in 2013. Some were realistic and some were just familiar sexy names. I think Excaliber has the final three (w/ TJ Weist added).

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Diaco was a pretty good hire at the time. It's very easy to look back with the benefit of hindsight and say it stunk but it was a pretty good hire based on the information available at the time. Unfortunately the questionable decisions began immediately after he signed on the dotted line.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
At the time I asked a good friend who is an OSU alum if a UConn had a shot at getting Herman and he laughed out loud.

Reaction Score
Diaco was a pretty good hire at the time. It's very easy to look back with the benefit of hindsight and say it stunk but it was a pretty good hire based on the information available at the time. Unfortunately the questionable decisions began immediately after he signed on the dotted line.

OK, from his resume I will give you that. But interviews: sure his rah rah came through, but didn't a bit of his craziness? I would have hoped they would have gone deeply into his OC/DC candidates and maybe put him through some hypotheticals.

i stated early on that his choice for OC was TERRIBLE, the guy never called plays. Unforgivable.

Also picking those UVA assistants, the ones who knew they were toast with London's situation, was very poor.

I'm sure others know better how well the assistants under PP have done, the ones Dieco whiffed on. ps Weiss may not have been doable given his temporary HC status prior to Diaco coming in. But there still were a few others who have excelled.

Reaction Score
At the time of the hire I thought they had gone for a pretty face to sell tix to the female market and when he opened his mouth and all the jargon and buzz words came out I immediately thought he was a BS'er although I gave him the benefit of the doubt. My lasting impression, however, was all hat and no cattle.

Reaction Score
At the time of the hire I thought they had gone for a pretty face to sell tix to the female market and when he opened his mouth and all the jargon and buzz words came out I immediately thought he was a BS'er although I gave him the benefit of the doubt. My lasting impression, however, was all hat and no cattle.

In his press conference ,when introduced as head coach, there was a question about his dream job or something to the affect of how long have you wanted to coach at UCONN and he responded by saying always(something like that)

I was very turned off by that and it gave me concern. It wasn't a big thing but it was such a bullcrap answer that it stuck in my head.

Telling people what they want hear a the expense of the truth is very transparent.

Reaction Score
Lol

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

From the outside, agreed. Anyone who listened to garbage that in person?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
From the outside, agreed. Anyone who listened to garbage that in person?
Yeah, we just don't know right? Did he tone down the crazy enough to get hired? Paper qualifications, ability to speak relatively well, and enthusiasm can get you pretty far in life.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, we just don't know right? Did he tone down the crazy enough to get hired? Paper qualifications, ability to speak relatively well, and enthusiasm can get you pretty far in life.

Professional experience set off every alarm for me from the start. Great teams are not built on 'love' or 'brotherhood'.

Reaction Score
Aside from the fact that he was a DC and not an OC, he was ideal.

Personally, going forward in this league you better be able to score. It is Big 12 lite in terms of offenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom