Who were the most famous players you played with and against? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who were the most famous players you played with and against?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
-played sandlot football with Jim Kiick in our hometown, Lincoln Park,NJ. He was smaller and younger than the rest of us, and hurt all of us when he hit. he came back for the alumni basketball game at our high school one year, and dunked during warmups. he was also a very good baseball player.
- caught Jack Lamabe, the Red Sox reliever, winter of '63 at Springfield College , where he was working on credits towards a degree. gave him a few tips, and he had his best year with the Sox.
- pitched against Jack Concannon in college, who was playing some baseball at Boston College when he wasn't throwing passes.
- pitched against Richie Zisk, the Pirates slugger, during summer ball in NJ. He had just finished his junior year in high school, was playing against guys much older, and led the league in batting. Hit a line drive off me that the 3rd baseman caught; it was hit so hard that he landed on his back after the catch.
- played a couple of rounds of golf with Ivan Lendl in Ct. he had not been out of tennis that long, and already had a strong game. lost $20 to him; he signed the scorecard " thanks for the money, it will help me send my daughters to college".

Excuse the rambling; happens when you get really old.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Not basketball, but I played against Carla Berube in coed beach volleyball with a league title on the line. No ring for Carla, though she was pretty good.

Reaction Score
About 20 years ago I played in a pick up game with Greg Drilling, at the time he was the back up center for the Indiana Pacers.

At 7' 1", he towered over my 5'10" height under the basket, something I'll never forget.

Reaction Score
I played billiards with Irving Crane, world champion. No contest of course; I went to school with his daughter.

Reaction Score
Ran cross country in high school in meets that future Olympian (1976) Matt Centrowitz also ran in. Notice I did not say I competed against him.

Also while in high school somehow ended up in the same gym with future NY Knick Dean Meminger who had just graduated from Marquette and shot some baskets with him.

Reaction Score
All my names are from the "old days" but I remember them like they were yesterday. I played several games back in my high school day against Carlton "Pudge" Fisk. In college I faced Pete Broberg, who pitched for Dartmouth College - later drafted by the Senators, I believe. After college I played "professional" baseball in Nicaragua where I faced a very young Dennis Martinez, who later starred for many years with the Orioles.

Reaction Score
When I was in high school my family had a priest-friend who taught at St John's University. One Sunday morning after Mass, the priest and I played in a pick-up game at Alumni Hall with Kevin Loughery, then a transfer at SJU and later a player and coach in the NBA. He was very kind to this kid and kept trying to set me up for jumpshots - most of which I missed.
Right after I graduated high school, Jim Ryun came to Long Island to train with John Camien and prepare for the AAU champs in New Brunswick, NJ. His coach, Bob Timmons, was friends with Coach Fraley of Sewanaka HS. I tried to join their workout (repeat quarters) but I was smoked in the first 220 of the first one. There was greatness (and we were the same age)!

Reaction Score
Best I can do is Rachel Fico, who pitched her very first high school softball game, IIRC - and first no-hitter - against my team. Went on to the (state? national?) high school record for number of no-hitters thrown, a nice career at LSU, and a number 1 pick in the draft for the National Fastpitch League (again, IIRC. My brain is already in for the night).

Reaction Score
Showing my age, I pitched against Richie Zisk in youth baseball. Two ABs; struck him out once, then allowed a ground rule double (very short left field line with no fence). Talking about scouting and development, he wasn't the top player on his team; a guy named Larry Pyle was, who never played professionally. Jim Kiick was also on my high school baseball team, although we were on different squads. I transferred schools before getting to play with him. As BoontonBomber stated, Kiick was also a very fine basketball player; had a great corner jumper, his signature shot. (before three-pointers, naturally).

Reaction Score
Saw a thread today where a guy mentioned having Maravich for a teammate. Made me wonder about you other Yarders in that regard. As titled, would be very interested in both teammates and opponents at any level of basketball who later turned out to be really famous . Hey, any other sport as well, while we're at it. Thanks
Played a game of horse with Mike Gminski in the gym at Masuk HS back in 75-76 when he was a student. I think I won. At least that's how I remember it. He was a great kid.

Reaction Score
-played sandlot football with Jim Kiick in our hometown, Lincoln Park,NJ. He was smaller and younger than the rest of us, and hurt all of us when he hit. he came back for the alumni basketball game at our high school one year, and dunked during warmups. he was also a very good baseball player.
- caught Jack Lamabe, the Red Sox reliever, winter of '63 at Springfield College , where he was working on credits towards a degree. gave him a few tips, and he had his best year with the Sox.
- pitched against Jack Concannon in college, who was playing some baseball at Boston College when he wasn't throwing passes.
- pitched against Richie Zisk, the Pirates slugger, during summer ball in NJ. He had just finished his junior year in high school, was playing against guys much older, and led the league in batting. Hit a line drive off me that the 3rd baseman caught; it was hit so hard that he landed on his back after the catch.
- played a couple of rounds of golf with Ivan Lendl in Ct. he had not been out of tennis that long, and already had a strong game. lost $20 to him; he signed the scorecard " thanks for the money, it will help me send my daughters to college".

Excuse the rambling; happens when you get really old.

Jim Kiick, Larry Czonka, Mercury Morris: go Dolphins!

Reaction Score
Played a short game of 3 on 3 with Goose Tatum, Sweetwater Clifton, and Marques Haynes during the shooting of a film in 1953 called "Go Man Go" on a grammar school outdoor court in Bergenfield, NJ. If there was a basketball around those guys had to be on the court, even if it was with 13 year old kids.

Also shot baskets with Tommy Kearns, point guard of the U. North Carolina 1957 national champs. He was also 1st team ACC and 2nd team All American. P.S. He was better than I was.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My fault. We affectionately called our teammate Pistol Pete because he played like him and was that devoted. I wish I played with Maravich. When I was at college(I did not play Collegiate basketball) I got to play in pick up games with Randy Smith. He was the best natural athlete I ever saw. Great soccer player as well. I was sad to read of his passing a while back. Nice guy.
Randy Smith was was one of the fastest guys in the NBA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I played several pickup games where I had to D-up Andrew Toney. If not for his bad feet he would have been a HOFer and I would have much better stories.
This is so weird--I didn't read this thread at all, but earlier today, I was thinking about Dr. J. My thoughts moved to the 1983 Sixer championship team. I had EXACTLY the same thought as you--if not for bad feet, Andrew Toney would have been a HOFer.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When I was a high school senior, Calvin Murphy, who was a friend of a friend, came to our playground in Milford. He was my age and a high school All-American. His shooting range was 30'--before the advent of the 3-point shot--and he could dunk two handed over his head backward at 5'9". He was about 7 levels above us. He is in the Springfield HOF.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
MilfordHusky said:
This is so weird--I didn't read this thread at all, but earlier today, I was thinking about Dr. J. My thoughts moved to the 1983 Sixer championship team. I had EXACTLY the same thought as you--if not for bad feet, Andrew Toney would have been a HOFer.

Andrew Toney was the s@&t !!

Reaction Score
This being a WBB board I imagine there would be more interest in WBB stories than my "how many future Pro-Bowlers put me on my butt" non-exploits in FB. But during HS I also dated the PG on our 23-0 state champion WBB team who had the distinction of matching up against both Mary Scharff in their semi-final championship game, and then beating Ann Donovan's Paramus HS team for the championship. Scharff went on to be one of the "Big 3" Immaculata greats that made the Mighty Macs WBB's first dynasty; Donovan was the first Parade WBBHS Player of the Year and went on to... well...great, great player and coaching success. Scharff also went on to coach Immaculata for 20+ years too.

Not often, I imagine, that a girl needs to stare down a pair of future Hall of Fame players in back to back games in order to win a state championship.

Reaction Score
I know it doesn't count but it is sports related.......sort of. I once shook hands and chatted with Shaquille O'Neal at a pool party at the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas. Yeah, just a shameless name dropper. :D

Reaction Score
When I was a high school senior, Calvin Murphy, who was a friend of a friend, came to our playground in Milford. He was my age and a high school All-American. His shooting range was 30'--before the advent of the 3-point shot--and he could dunk two handed over his head backward at 5'9". He was about 7 levels above us. He is in the Springfield HOF.

Calvin was an awesome baton twirler as well!

Reaction Score
Considering I'm only 21 years of age, I have some updated names. I played ball in Dallas, Tx so I've seen a good share of ballers men/women. The three players that stand out to me in the high school level during my time was Marcus Smart, Julius Randle, and Phil Forte. All have excellent iqs. Recently, this summer I played against Donald Sloan (Brooklyn Nets) at a La fitness downtown. Very intense game!! Growing up I lived in Desoto. Living there is where I met 2 COLD ballers that were my exact age ALWAYS hoopin at the Desoto Rec. Those two girls just so happen to be Jordan Jones out of A&M and Moriah Jefferson. It amazes me every time I see her now playing for UCONN. She will be the best UCONN point guard of of all time after this season. And yes I'm a bias opinion ;)

Reaction Score
I coulda been a contender. In 1980 I sparred a round with Larry Holmes at his Easton, Pa. training camp, only weeks prior to his title fight stoppage of Muhammad Ali.
I woulda murdered the world heavyweight champ, but my father (his attorney), begged me to go easy on him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nothing major, as I usually split my time between chasing the opposite sex, racecars, playing guitar around the Ct. , NYC and Boston bar scenes, along with some local hockey/softball leagues, but like most everyone else, spent plenty of time playing pick-up games, including some pick-up hoops with former Trumbull High/Villanova guard, Harold Jensen and Harding High/NBA guard Wes Matthews, along with an assortment of baseball/softball/wiffleball games with numerous minor league baseball players, including the one that grew up as my youngest brother.

Also played sandlot football and pick-up b-ball with old high school buddy and former WWF World Tag Team standout Paul Roma (Centopani).

My opposite sex record is far more star studded, but since this is a family forum, decorum takes precedent.:p

I must admit though, the list of athletes some of the Boneyarders have played with, is impressive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22