Who was there for The Elite 8? | The Boneyard

Who was there for The Elite 8?

Reaction Score
I was not there in 14 but I imagine it was louder.

This wasn’t as much a game, sadly (?) but we in my section (led by me) were doing all kinds of Terrence Shannon chants all game. IU people weren’t happy about it. Some poor girl in her 20s was big mad

Mister Wonderful

Even when I think I’m wrong, I’m right
Reaction Score
IMG_0253.jpeg
IMG_0252.jpeg
It was probably 75/25 for the good guys. Credit to the fans in the cute orange outfits as they were pretty loud in the first half. For some reason they weren’t a fan of “no means no” chants and I can’t figure out why.

Reaction Score
IMG_0383.jpeg

It was electric. Illinois fans were a very loud and boisterous bunch pregame and that elevated our crowd in a really fun way.

The 30-0 run was absolute bedlam. The sequence when DC blocked that shot into oblivion on one end then dunked all over the Illini on the other turned the stands into one big UConn party for the rest of the night.

The U-C-O-N-N chants were rafter-rattling loud — big props to Red for being there! — and I highly doubt anyone who walked out of the building wearing blue and white is waking up with a voice today.

Postgame vibes near the arena were great too. Bars packed with UConn fans sticking around to watch the women win and UConn! Huskies! chants echoing all over the city.

Storrs North, indeed

Attachments

• IMG_0391.jpeg
    IMG_0391.jpeg
    721 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Reaction Score
The crowd was electric. I’ve never seen a more demoralized bunch than Illinois fans 4 minutes into the second half.
Jimmy C gave an all time pump up speech prior to the game at Big Shift. “35 years ago, coming to UConn was the best thing that ever happened to me. And it was the best thing that ever happened to you”. Legend.

Reaction Score
The atmosphere was electric. First half with the back and forth with Illinois was amazing then the second was as everyone described. Greatest bar was packed pre-game.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
IMG_2685.jpeg

IMG_2682.jpeg

A few thoughts:

Lots of Boston bars don’t open until noon, that’s nonsense.

Illinois fans suck, but have pride. Not many can have the gusto to talk smack when down 30 pts. Or they’re just dumb.

It’s always good running into random people you’ve seen over the years at games, Final Fours, MSG, and then you don’t even know their names but stop and talk to them because you’ve seen them more recently than your relatives.

Can’t wait for Phoenix.

Reaction Score
IMG_7883.jpeg

There were a couple very obnoxious Illinois fans directly in front of me who purposely kept standing to block the view whenever something minor happened. It really pissed off the people directly around us. But as soon as that 30-0 run happened, they didn’t stand up the rest of the night. Ended up leaving early to many chirps from others in my section. Karma.

I have no problem with standing up to support your guys, but just don’t abuse it & try to actively make other people’s experience worse.

Other than that, Illinois fans seemed great. Lot of friendly banter!

Reaction Score
Was there in section 319, no question our section had an absolute impact on the game from the very beginning with Illinois missing the first 2 fts. I was a little a bit nervous at halftime just trying to take deep breaths but confident as hell.

Illinois fans seemed pretty arrogant coming off a bit as snobby with no personality. Had that big 10 arrogance to them. After the game oh they were bitter saying “ I bet most of these fans didnt go to UConn or even know where it is”. Not only only did our blow out shock them but they were shocked as hell how loud our fanbase was.

I saw bus loads of Illinois fans coming in and even a bar with an Illinois flag and nothing but orange shirts, Illinois fans were more in packs and UConn fans more spread out. I couldn’t hear the Illini chant. The U C O N N chant heard it all damn day, going out side you could the U C O N N chant echoing off the 2 bars in front of TD.

Reaction Score
I had an absolute blast. Really glad I got to share the experience with my son. Felt like crowd was 75/25 UConn, maybe 80/20. Before Gafden filled up it seemed like a lot of red but less as it filled. Illinois fans I encountered were portraying confidence early but were respectful. By end of that run they were just in awe and not sure when they’d get this chance again.
73353483394__E2E4FBE3-168B-462C-BFE6-7CA5B467177D.jpeg
View attachment 98610
73353706004__28F2961F-554E-4D54-84AF-E65EC043AB74.jpeg

Reaction Score
I wasn't there but I got the mojo working in Toronto. I had to be there to bring daughter and friends to an Olivia Rodrigo concert. Who was Rodrigo's idol growing up? Taylor Swift.

I had the feeling that I was going to upset the mojo and not find a sports bar in time, but there was one right across from the Arena, and they immediately agreed to put the game on the big screen for me (they had a Curling competition on before that).

IMG_7379.jpg

Reaction Score
View attachment 98605

There were a couple very obnoxious Illinois fans directly in front of me who purposely kept standing to block the view whenever something minor happened. It really pissed off the people directly around us. But as soon as that 30-0 run happened, they didn’t stand up the rest of the night. Ended up leaving early to many chirps from others in my section. Karma.

I have no problem with standing up to support your guys, but just don’t abuse it & try to actively make other people’s experience worse.

Other than that, Illinois fans seemed great. Lot of friendly banter!
There was one Illinois fan in our small section (Club 139) who stood the entire game and the rest of the people there, even the few Illinois fans, were getting annoyed with him because we all had to stand the entire game. There was an elderly couple right behind him who weren't too thrilled with him. He was alone and didn't say a word all game. Nobody wanted to confront him so with about 5 minutes left and UConn ahead by 30 I yelled at him and told him to sit the ----- down because his standing didn't help his team because they stink. He didn't even turn around but the rest of the section laughed. A few minutes later he snuck out so I didn't get to say anything more.

Reaction Score
I was there in section 9. We stood the entire game. Like someone said above it was bedlam during that run. After the run, our section started shouting at Shannon how many minutes he had left until the big house

I was there in 2014 for the Elite 8 which was probably louder, but the dynamics between the fan bases, having a player on the other team to hate, and the crazy run made this one better

IMG_3081.jpeg

Reaction Score
8FFF18AA-74FF-4124-ABF1-446CBB4D41DC.jpeg
5A612F41-8ED7-41CC-9D32-68BE8DD09DA2.jpeg

Amazing experience. Hard to compare the noise level to 2014 since it’s been 10 years. Nature of the games thought that was a super tense crowd the entire way probably until the Nolan dunk when we could go nuts celebrating. Lots of back and forth between the fan bases though obviously we drowned them out. This one the 30-0 run was so surreal just non stop celebrating. Kinda like the Marquette home game this year but x100. Saw someone on twitter claim the crowd wasn’t great in the first half which is nonsense. We were loud, the back and forth was good too. Didn’t really hear from the Illinois fans in the 2nd half besides when they finally scored and that was drowned out by sarcastic cheers from the UConn crowd.

Reaction Score
What's the best way to post pictures in here? I have a bunch but when you use the "Attach files" button on the bottom they don't get uploaded like the ones people have here.

Reaction Score
I was there in 2014 for the Elite 8 which was probably louder, but the dynamics between the fan bases, having a player on the other team to hate, and the crazy run made this one better

I can’t imagine it was crazier than MSG in 2014.

I was at the S16 this past Thurs and the crowd was very tame, which was disappointing.

Watched this one on tv and you heard the main big red chants at tv breaks otherwise didn’t come thru as much.

I think 2014 benefitted from being a close game wire to wire. We were an “underdog” and also had the euphoria of realizing the program could maintain its heights even with a new regime.

But curious to hear others thoughts that went to both.

Reaction Score
You have to remember that in 2014 the collective fanbase had so much angst about the conference situation and being banned, and after missing out on our beloved Big East Tournament to get back to the Garden was just an incredible experience. And it felt like we were big underdogs against Mich St. It felt like 90/10 in there, but it was probably 80/20, and man was it electric. Not to take anything away from last night, because it was absolutely amazing, but after last year's success, last night just couldn't top 2014. No need to say one's better than the other, but someone asked so that's my feeling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom