Who says that Napheesa is playing like an AA? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who says that Napheesa is playing like an AA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A few people on VolNation have mentioned the possibility of Shea Ralph taking the Tennessee HC job. It actually makes quite a bit of sense -- a big improvement for the LV's even if Shea does not prove to be a young and female version of Geno, and probably a big career and financial leap for Shea. And that would also (you would think) lead to a repair of the rift between UConn and Tennessee, and maybe even a game on future years' schedules.
That would be wonderful for Shea and somewhat sad for UConn. I also wonder if that hire wouldn't drive diehard UT fans out of their freaking minds with the realization that they had to hire one of Geno's assistants in order to resurrect their moribund program.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That would be wonderful for Shea and somewhat sad for UConn. I also wonder if that hire wouldn't drive diehard UT fans out of their freaking minds with the realization that they had to hire one of Geno's assistants in order to resurrect their moribund program.
Sounds like a good thing to me. Many here as well as over there are going to disagree with me, but I think it's high time we stopped burying the hatchet into each others backs and start thinking about what's best for WCBB and the young women who have dedicated their lives to this great sport.

Reaction Score
A few people on VolNation have mentioned the possibility of Shea Ralph taking the Tennessee HC job. It actually makes quite a bit of sense -- a big improvement for the LV's even if Shea does not prove to be a young and female version of Geno, and probably a big career and financial leap for Shea. And that would also (you would think) lead to a repair of the rift between UConn and Tennessee, and maybe even a game on future years' schedules.
I can't imagine that happening It might be a good job, but some issues just run too deep. I just can't see her doing it. Or them doing it, frankly. If it did happen I would have no problem with her jersey being removed from the wall in Gampel, though.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
One of the cornerstones of Buddhism is "impermanence". You get too attached to preserving what is, you risk being a doofus.
Rutgers and Tennessee made us possible at one time, but we move on. We have Baylor; we have ND: we have S. Carolina,
and it's exciting to wonder who's around the corner.
Besides, we like Kara. We even like that we like Kara. We like her, cause she's fair minded, no homer. How could we sustain that, if she rejoins the evil empire?:p

Reaction Score
One of the cornerstones of Buddhism is "impermanence". You get too attached to preserving what is, you risk being a doofus.
Rutgers and Tennessee made us possible at one time, but we move on. We have Baylor; we have ND: we have S. Carolina,
and it's exciting to wonder who's around the corner.
Besides, we like Kara. We even like that we like Kara. We like her, cause she's fair minded, no homer. How could we sustain that, if she rejoins the evil empire?:p
If Kara showed any signs at all of wanting a coaching career, I could see her eventually landing at TN and being the one to renew the rivalry, based on mutual respect of the coaches. We might not be able to actually 'like' her anymore, but we could still respect her.

Reaction Score
Hammon would be the kind of home run hire that most male AD's are too faint-hearted to make. We wouldn't want a women's program to take any of the thunder away from male sports programs, now would we?
Luckily we haven't had to worry about that one, have we??? (at least not recently--)

Reaction Score
The only HC job Imo for Shea would be North Carolina where she is from and her mom played or Duke.

Her mom has lived in Fla---while with the UC team Shea and Sveta visited with her mom during xmas break--and in a pickup game against guys--Shea was injured
So I don't think the region of the country makes much difference--it will be about the team and potential and the buy in of the AD and Administration to her changes.

If Shea were to take over the Tenn team, she would take what is there and lead them to the FF4 and beyond--head to head with Geno. The EVIL Empire will become
the top team on the Uconn schedule.

Reaction Score
No, I don't want Shea to take over the Tenn. team, let them stew in their own misery. I think the problem is the new AD that was hire right about the time Pat retired. He does not have the same commitment to the women's BB program as the former AD and it shows . A few of their other teams are under performing (football) also.

I see no reason to have them on our schedule as we have other rivals now (ND,etc).

Reaction Score
I've been hoping that Shea may be either Geno's or CD's successor, so the idea of her leaving doesn't appeal to me a bit.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I've been hoping that Shea may be either Geno's or CD's successor, so the idea of her leaving doesn't appeal to me a bit.
Hopefully, it's way too early to talk about Geno's successor, but when that day eventually arrives CD & Shea would certainly be at the top of the list. So too would Jen Rizzotti, particularly if she continues to be successful at GW.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Hopefully, it's way too early to talk about Geno's successor, but when that day eventually arrives CD & Shea would certainly be at the top of the list. So too would Jen Rizzotti, particularly if she continues to be successful at GW.

It is likely that Geno and CD will step down together. Smart money is on Shea to succeed Geno. She is totally connected with players (present, future and past), alumni (especially donors), and the vast network of HS and AAU coaches. Should she become HC, she must select her associate HC (Marisa? Jen?) and assistant(s) (Sue? Carla?).

New faces? Mittie? Hamon? Let the speculation run rampant.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It is likely that Geno and CD will step down together. Smart money is on Shea to succeed Geno. She is totally connected with players (present, future and past), alumni (especially donors), and the vast network of HS and AAU coaches. Should she become HC, she must select her associate HC (Marisa? Jen?) and assistant(s) (Sue? Carla?).

New faces? Mittie? Hamon? Let the speculation run rampant.
As I've said before, I think Sue Bird is the best choice, given her Olympic / international / WNBA experience that Shea does not have. I know she says she doesn't want to coach, but I think she could be induced to take the bait.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As I've said before, I think Sue Bird is the best choice, given her Olympic / international / WNBA experience that Shea does not have. I know she says she doesn't want to coach, but I think she could be induced to take the bait.
And I might add that Shea should be a Head Coach somewhere else before she takes the UConn job. That's another reason while the LV job, if offered, might be attractive to her.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
And I might add that Shea should be a Head Coach somewhere else before she takes the UConn job. That's another reason while the LV job, if offered, might be attractive to her.

UConn was Geno's first job as head coach.

In a different field, the Pittsburgh Steelers have had only three head coaches in 49 years: Noll, Cowher and Tomlin. For each, the Steelers was their first as a HC. (All three won Super Bowls.)

Shea must surely enjoy the ambiance in Storrs to be preferable to endless renditions of "Rocky Top."

Reaction Score
But Bird doesn't need coaching experience? Big difference between playing and coaching. Why would Ralph need to be a head coach? Auriemma never was before UConn. He's done OK.

Reaction Score
I have delusions of grandeur. I'm thinking I will apply. I took my former high school team to the third round of the playoffs and won a league title after a 17 year drought. Oh and I believe in 3/4 of the things Geno does

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Uconn had one winning season in the history of the program before Geno showed up and they played in a leaky building in front ope a handful of students getting extra credit for coming to games and a few family members for the first few years. Uconn has changed significantly from the time when it was the doormat of the big east and was lucky to find anyone who wanted to come and coach for the price of a decent car in salary. And WCBB has changed a little too.

Comparing Geno getting the Uconn job to anyone taking the Uconn job 30 ++ years later and 11+ national championships later is not really an apples to apples comparison. While the job replacing Geno will likely come with less than half the salary he is currently being paid, it will likely still be in the range of $750K - that kind of salary gets advertised and draws some serious resumes. The chance of it being given to anyone with zero coaching experience is pretty close to zero no matter what their relationship to the program has been. The chance of it going to an assistant coach with years of experience is better, but if it came down to such a person or someone with a strong HCing resume ... who knows. How many corporate CEOs get promoted from within for fortune 500 companies vs. head-hunted from lesser companies where they have experience as a CEO? Because the Uconn program in WCBB is like a F500 company and significantly more responsibility than just recruiting and coaching WCBB.

Reaction Score
How many corporate CEOs get promoted from within for fortune 500 companies vs. head-hunted from lesser companies where they have experience as a CEO? Because the Uconn program in WCBB is like a F500 company and significantly more responsibility than just recruiting and coaching WCBB.
Totally agree. Hoping Jen takes GW to the next level and proves herself worthy. She has the presence and charisma for a high-visibility position, along with her AA, POY, NC chops and multiple head coaching positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom