Who on here is a UConn Alum? And who is not? I am. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who on here is a UConn Alum? And who is not? I am.

Reaction Score
No connection to UConn until this year. My cousin's daughter is a freshmen who plays bass trombone in the marching band and is on sort of an on call basis with the pep band. Saw an occasional UConn game on tv back when Shea was playing, but became a real fan when my sister in Georgia told me about a girl her daughter played against in high school who was coming to UConn. Once I started watching Maya and company I was hooked. I raised three daughters and have been coaching high school girls (soccer) for many years so I'm pretty interested in all women's sports. I thought the recent NCAA volleyball semi finals/finals were great even though I know nothing about the game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think it is pretty cool that so many are not alumni. I graduated in '82 from Connecticut and also have degrees from Rutgers and NYU.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not an Alum. Long time women's basketball fan from my high school days. One of my class mates actually played for Immaculata in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Became a UConn fan during the heyday of the UConn Tennessee rivalry.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Class of 76. After the Army, one year at Hartford, two at Storrs. Lived off campus in the apartments off 195. Drove home every weekend to be with my girl/fiance/wife.
Started out as strictly a men's basketball fan (Tony Hanson was the man). Watched a few of the Lobo/Rizzotti games and got hooked on Geno's team, still love Calhoun.
Still haven't forgiven Edsall, but if he rights the ship I will re-evaluate.

Reaction Score
I'm a double graduate at Quinnipiac University, earning my BS in 1973 and MBA in 1994.

Reaction Score
Non-alum. Started following and cheering around 1990 after seeing them play for first time. Basketball as it was played in 40’s - but with great crispness and purpose - and so different from the then typical men’s game. Guess I’m revealing my age - and wishing some things were as they were in “the good old days”

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
There’s a name from the past, and an answer to a trivia question, “Who led the NCAA in 3-pt shooting the year the 3-pt shot was first introduced?” The pg on that team was Tom Penders from my hometown in Stratford.

The Poughkeepsie Popper as Wes was known. He graduated from FDR High School in Hyde Park - not Poughkeepsie. FDR also had another successful player in Rich Rinaldi. Played college ball at St. Peter's. Played with the old Bullets and the old ABA NY Nets. Poughkeepsie also produced Arlington High School alum Scott McCandlish who played center for UVA in the early 70's. Scott was 6' 11'.

I grew up in Poughkeepsie and saw Wes play. I also played against Rinaldi and with McCandlish.

Reaction Score
I was aware of the success of the UConn's women's basketball for many years as I enjoyed watching women's basketball. Then when an Iowa girl headed there I wanted to see how she would do. That young lady Kiah Stokes did very well I am thinking.

I graduated from the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, Iowa in 1971. I received my teaching degree in elementary education and taught for 42 years.

I love Geno and his philosophy of life. I often quote him to my daughter and son and their children. I appreciate the many well versed Connecticut fans on this board for their vast knowledge of women's basketball.

Wishing all the UConn fans and team a blessed Merry Christmas. I enjoy receiving the teams' gift of hustle and determination.

Reaction Score
I'm an alumnus of the University of Illinois. I've lived in Connecticut since 1974.

Reaction Score
I am not. My daughter is a Syracuse grad. Go Orange (Men). The only time I’m not in Cuses corner is when Uconn women are playing. I’m a former HS Girls coach and I love Uconn womens basketball!

Reaction Score
Rochester New York born and raised graduated locally from Nazareth. Always felt a pull to Uconn instead of Syracuse. Found out last year my long lost family came from Connecticut and went to Uconn. Guess it's in my blood!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I am not an alum. I first became a fan of sorts in 1995 when Lobo and Co. beat the hated Lady Vols. I hated them before I was aware of UConn's team.

Didn't really follow UConn much after that, though. Couldn't really. Didn't know about this board. I was limited to what was on ESPN. Then a few years ago, I guess because of the SNY thing, I suddenly was able to watch a lot of games, and my interest really blossomed.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I graduated Northeastern in 1969, 3 years before a guy named Jim Calhoun was named their head coach. As I had many friends attending UConn, there were many a weekend that I took the Mass Pike down to Storrs for either football or basketball games. In 1980 my friends and I started buying seasons tix to men's basketball when UConn joined the Big East. When the 'points program' was put in place to determine your seat location it was less expensive to buy season tix to Women's Basketball, Football & Soccer than to make the donation for the same amount of points. At 1st I gave away a lot of the games but then started bringing my kids to the games. The rest is, as they say, history with a lot of funny stories in between.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
NYC born and bred. Graduated from Hunter College here in NYC and attended NYU for my master's. I've always been a sports fanatic from the time I watched my father watching the Dodgers and of course later his beloved Mets. NY having so many sports teams at the time allowed for an incredible amount of sports viewing on free TV. Every Dodger game, every Yankee game, every (baseball and football) Giants game, every Ranger game, every major boxing match, every Knick game, and of course, playing baseball and football in HS while playing every city street sport imaginable. It was immersive. I loved and followed UConn since and during the '95 season. Sue Bird from Christ The King just cinched it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was born and raised in Geno's old neighborhood in Northwest Phil Suburbs. I was transferred here 37 yrs ago and never moved back, liked the sailing too much, then I found UConn Women's Basketball

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
BA in Communications class of 85. Broadcast many women's(and men's games, both soccer teams, football and baseball) on WHUS. Women's games at the Field House prior to Geno(with Jean Balthaser) were a family and friends affairs. And we stunk. So I guess I have been following the women's team since 1981!

Reaction Score
I became a fan in 1995,Veryolddog, I taught and coached in Albuquerque from 1964 to 1987.La Mesa Elem,Hayes Jr.High ,Sandia High, and Head Football Coach at Valley High in 1977(first Black Head Coach in Albuquerque).Perhaps we are familiar to each other.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I graduated from UConn so long ago (1967) that not only were there few women’s teams, but men and women at best lived in the same quadrangle, let alone the same dorm. I lived in the Towers all 4 years which was the first quad with one building women. All other quads were all of one gender. Ultimately while I was there, West Campus and The Towers flipped a few dorms to make a few more integrated quads and McMahon opened with two towers one of each gender. I was on the committee that started the ball toward mixed dorms and eliminated women’s curfews (yes, Virginie there were curfews). Would have been interesting to know if they would have scheduled a women’s hoops game on a weeknight that ended after curfew (1o:30).

Men’s hoops was king. Until the Calhoun era, my 4 years were one of the best stretches in school history. Toby Kimball was a few years ahead of me and my classmates included Wes Bialosukina, Tom Penders and Bill Holowaty. Toby and Wes played pro ball.

Reaction Score
I graduated with a BA in math in 1964 and an MBA in 1969. Was in the Navy in between. I have been a fan of Uconn basketball every since I attended my first game at the old field house. I thought that I would never seen a championship (I am also a Red Sox fan) until Geno finally pulled it off in 1995. Since then I have enjoyed many championships. I find that there are few teams that I can completely trust. Teams that are consistently good and always seem to find a way to win. The Uconn women are the best at that. I also trust the New England Patriots and the Ansonia High football teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom