Who is Randy's coaching staff? Jan 12 is coming fast | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Who is Randy's coaching staff? Jan 12 is coming fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are you saying that you think that we have less talent than most FCS teams?

You know what I'm saying. He has FBS caliber talent with play making abilities at key spots. We would need to get P5 playmakers to transfer to us to give a comparison, IMO.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Hank Hughes as DC would be a surprise. Breiner for OC sounds exciting and seems like a likely choice.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know what I'm saying. He has FBS caliber talent with play making abilities at key spots. We would need to get P5 playmakers to transfer to us to give a comparison, IMO.
Nah, I actually didn't, that's why I asked. Sorry I if came off as being sarcastic.

Reaction Score
Hank Hughes as DC would be a surprise. Breiner for OC sounds exciting and seems like a likely choice.
Just did a little digging on HH.. He got canned by Nebraska after the 2015 season. Not sure if he latched on anyplace else... I definitely jumped the gun on that part... We can't go back to bend but don't break... That is such a passive defense... Opposing teams' offenses go ham on us when we run that.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Hank Hughes bio still up on the huskers site. Interesting that he didn't really stick anywhere after his time at UConn. Not that any coaches who aren't HC really stick anywhere in college football.

"Hughes spent the previous 13 seasons as an assistant coach at Connecticut, coaching the defensive line for the Huskies throughout his tenure at the school. Hughes was the defensive coordinator for four of his seasons at UConn and was assistant head coach for eight seasons from 2005 to 2012."

Hughes Profile
Coaching Experience

2015: Nebraska, Assistant Coach (Defensive Line)
2014: Cincinnati, Assistant Coach (Co-Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line)
2013: Connecticut, Assistant Coach (Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line)
2011-12: Connecticut, Assistant Coach (Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line)
2005-10: Connecticut, Assistant Coach (Assistant Head Coach for Defense/Defensive Line)
2002-04: Connecticut, Assistant Coach (Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line)
2001: Connecticut, Assistant Coach (Defensive Line)
1998-2000: Memphis, Assistant Coach (Defensive Line)
1994-97: Harvard, Assistant Coach (Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line/Special Teams)
1993: Cincinnati, Assistant Coach (Defensive Line)
1992: Montreal Machine, WLAF, Assistant Coach (Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers)
1991: Montreal Machine, WLAF, Assistant Coach (Linebackers)
1985-90: James Madison, Assistant Coach (Linebackers/Recruiting Coordinator)
1982-84: Lafayette, Assistant Coach (Defensive Line)
1981: Northeastern, Assistant Coach (Defensive Line)
1980: Springfield College, Assistant Coach (Defensive Line)
1979: Albany, Assistant Coach (Defensive Line)

Playing Experience
1975-78: Springfield College (Linebacker)

Reaction Score
I'm hoping there's a 2 for 1 deal going on at Fordham and we pick up Breiner and Jon Wholley.

Reaction Score
Would Breiner even come here at this point? I know he has UConn ties but he's HC at a good FCS school.. . ..... Moorhead made the jump to Penn State OC . .. ....... he's a good bit younger than Moorhead, but would think he thinks he could get a P5 OC job. I would love for him to be the choice, feels unlikely though.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Lot's of discussion on Breiner. Don't know what his current compensation is, and if this even makes sense. Seems to be a long shot.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Would Breiner even come here at this point? I know he has UConn ties but he's HC at a good FCS school.. . ..... Moorhead made the jump to Penn State OC . .. .. he's a good bit younger than Moorhead, but would think he thinks he could get a P5 OC job. I would love for him to be the choice, feels unlikely though.

I think he is too young for a straight step to P5 football. He needs to log 4 years in at an intermediate step. And when you are getting beans at Fordham, how can you turn down the juicy pay raise Edsall can offer?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Hughes would be a huge disappointment.
I wouldn't mind him for Defensive line coach. I can't see Randy putting him in as DC since he hadn't done that for Randy's last 7 years

Reaction Score
I'm hoping there's a 2 for 1 deal going on at Fordham and we pick up Breiner and Jon Wholley.
I wasn't too familiar with Fordham's recent seasons. Definitely seems like they score points, so having the former OC and Head Coach would seem solid, but the defensive results look bad. They gave up an average of 30 points last season with only 1 game against an FBS team (Navy where they gave up 52 points). I'm not seeing Wholley is a solid pick unless I'm missing something (besides the UConn connection).

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I wasn't too familiar with Fordham's recent seasons. Definitely seems like they score points, so having the former OC and Head Coach would seem solid, but the defensive results look bad. They gave up an average of 30 points last season with only 1 game against an FBS team (Navy where they gave up 52 points). I'm not seeing Wholley is a solid pick unless I'm missing something (besides the UConn connection).
Wholley was endorsed as a great coach by some of the UConn NFL alumni.

Reaction Score

The defensive woes could be from a number of reasons.

1) Offensive minded head coach
2) No impact players transferred in like on offense (lacking good players in general as well)
3)Position coaches could be "not so good"
4) Wholley might not be a good coach

One thing I'm sure of. Randy will know the right answer.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm going to say it means something.

Even if it just means that RE has expressed interest in the recruit, it probably means something...may not necessarily be connected to coaching changes at Fordham, but it would seem to suggest that.

Reaction Score
Hank Hughes bio still up on the huskers site. Interesting that he didn't really stick anywhere after his time at UConn. Not that any coaches who aren't HC really stick anywhere in college football.

"Hughes spent the previous 13 seasons as an assistant coach at Connecticut, coaching the defensive line for the Huskies throughout his tenure at the school. Hughes was the defensive coordinator for four of his seasons at UConn and was assistant head coach for eight seasons from 2005 to 2012."

Their respective career paths would indicate that Todd Orlando had a lot more to do with the success of our defenses under Edsall than Hank Hughes. I would be highly disappointed in Hughes, to the point that his selection DC would make me seriously doubt that RE is able to make the changes that he'll need to make to be successful here the second time around.

Reaction Score
Cincy putting together a real nice coaching staff as well as several other of the AAC schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom