Who is looking out for the Big East football schools? | The Boneyard

Who is looking out for the Big East football schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At this point a merger between the Big XII and the Big East might be an attractive proposition for all parties. It gives the Big East football schools stability and the smaller schools in the Big XII insurance in case Texas and OU bail in the [near] future. It also creates a formidable basketball conference (KU, UConn, UL, Texas, Cincy, WVU, etc).

With a pod system you can create a structure where Texas and OU can meet in the championship game or qualify directly for the BCS [if they hold serve].

Now here's the issue - who is presenting this option to Neinas and the Big XII schools? Obviously Marinatto can't as he needs to look-out for the entire conference and this would not be in the perceived best interest of the basketball schools. If you're UL, UC, WVU - you're trying to get the the 9th or 10th spot and a full merger is a back-up scenario. RU and UConn would look absolutely desperate if they led the charge. Therefore the Big East football schools absolutely must immediately appoint a commissioner/agent to represent the entire block's best intrests.

Reaction Score
There are only 2 football ADs in the BE that could pull off a merger, Jurich at UL and Luck at WVU. I think they have already been looking at the option.

Reaction Score
No its not!

The BE fball schools will be picked and cleaned like scavenger birds do to road kill. All remaining BE fball schools are in an unfortunite position of weakness.

Reaction Score
It seems every BE school is looking out for itself and could careless about other conference mates. UCONN is not sitting at a good position right now. Either we need the B12/BE merger or we will be sitting on the sideline sucking our thumbs looking at independence for FB.

Reaction Score
It seems every BE school is looking out for itself and could careless about other conference mates. UCONN is not sitting at a good position right now. Either we need the B12/BE merger or we will be sitting on the sideline sucking our thumbs looking at independence for FB.

Agreed - but who is going to propose the merger and details of how it could work? That is what I am worried about.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No its not!

The BE fball schools will be picked and cleaned like scavenger birds do to road kill. All remaining BE fball schools are in an unfortunite position of weakness.

All caused by Syracuse's treachery. Your school screwed everyone.

Reaction Score
All caused by Syracuse's treachery. Your school screwed everyone.

SU did what was best for SU so it didn't have to be in this situation. SU has been gone to the ACC since the first raid when Vtech got in instead of us. If the bball people in Providence couldn't figure it out that's not SU's problem. They couldn't even figure out that Nova d1 fball was a joke and that they needed to find a way to get the conference to accept that fbal TV deal. Bball schools voting on fball TVdeals as well as ND who doesn't ven play BE fball. You guys want out just as much and had the ACC asked you Herbst would have gone without question.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
SU did what was best for SU so it didn't have to be in this situation. SU has been gone to the ACC since the first raid when Vtech got in instead of us. If the bball people in Providence couldn't figure it out that's not SU's problem. They couldn't even figure out that Nova d1 fball was a joke and that they needed to find a way to get the conference to accept that fbal TV deal. Bball schools voting on fball TVdeals as well as ND who doesn't ven play BE fball. You guys want out just as much and had the ACC asked you Herbst would have gone without question.

Syracuse was supportive of Villanova's upgrade and the hybrid league. Syracuse also was in favor of rejecting the TV deal. Syracuse was on track to make a lot of money in the best basketball league in the country, and stabbed every one of its partners in the back. Syracuse can f itself, as can you for coming here and preaching to us to rationalize your school's behavior.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Syracuse was supportive of Villanova's upgrade and the hybrid league. Syracuse also was in favor of rejecting the TV deal. Syracuse was on track to make a lot of money in the best basketball league in the country, and stabbed every one of its partners in the back. Syracuse can f itself, as can you for coming here and preaching to us to rationalize your school's behavior.

I agree with this. Syracuse and Pitt did not act above board. I don't begrudge them that they left. I have hard feelings because they left the way BC left, skulking away with no notice after bargaining with the BE in alleged good faith. This after they suffered the same betrayal that we did after the first raid. I can't wish enough bad things upon Syracuse and Pitt. I hope they enjoy anonymity with BC.

Reaction Score

I don't need to rationalize it all I need to do is read a board like this. Thats all it takes to know that SU did what it absolutely had to do so it wasn't in the position that the remaining BE fball schools are in. If it was SU and Pitt it would have been someone else, don't be naive and think otherwise.
Yes SU voted no because they were done and wanted out, whch is why I pointed to the leadership in Providence not understanding that they absolutelly needed to get that TV deal.
A lot of money in the best bball league is short term thinking.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree with this. Syracuse and Pitt did not act above board. I don't begrudge them that they left. I have hard feelings because they left the way BC left, skulking away with no notice after bargaining with the BE in alleged good faith. This after they suffered the same betrayal that we did after the first raid. I can't wish enough bad things upon Syracuse and Pitt. I hope they enjoy anonymity with BC.

Any school in any conference could use "if it wasn't me it would be someone else" as a rationalization for why they left. It is pure "blame the victim" rationalization. If FSU and VTech left the ACC, it would take a major hit, and both might be able to make a little more money in the SEC. But they didn't do that, did they?

Reaction Score
i don't see how anyone can begrudge Cuse when everyone concedes they'd want us on the next bus to the ACC. at this point we're pretty much where Cuse was after the last raid. we feel like we missed the boat and want to be first in line for the next one.

personally i'm not thrilled with the idea of joining the ACC, but if i found out we were tomorrow i'd at least be glad i didn't have to worry about this crap anymore and we'd have better bowl options- even though all the "better" would pass on us just like they do BC and we'd end up in Idaho every year.

Reaction Score
I don't need to rationalize it all I need to do is read a board like this. Thats all it takes to know that SU did what it absolutely had to do so it wasn't in the position that the remaining BE fball schools are in. If it was SU and Pitt it would have been someone else, don't be naive and think otherwise.
Yes SU voted no because they were done and wanted out, whch is why I pointed to the leadership in Providence not understanding that they absolutelly needed to get that TV deal.
A lot of money in the best bball league is short term thinking.

LMFAO. You have the unbridled chutzpah to criticize Providence for not stopping your school from voting against a TV contract where either (i) they knew they were going to the ACC and should have astained, or (ii) they didn't know they were going to the ACC and opposed it for what they viewed as legitimate business interests. You are either an idiot or an a##. Go away.

Reaction Score
Syracuse (for the most part ... except for a few truly genuinely honorable sorts) have been ready to go to the ACC since 2004. It's reflected by this Jamoke.

The reality is they play in a Mausoleum. Their market (truly CNY ... and NOT NYC) is nothing. Nothing. Even in upstate, you can't get an insitutional lender to go there. They wanted to build a Mall bigger than Mall of America ... and thought that was progress in the Modern times. They have nothing. The fanbase looked down their nose at the others ... and they underachieved since 2004.

Now? They will learn the lesson that BC is learning. They have some money; but they had a Place in the Big East. They were something. The Orange in the ACC will be an also-ran.

I'm nervous about our fate; but, I KNOW that we have a super AD. We win National Championships in many sports. And we have a Market. We will land someplace good.

Reaction Score
Syracuse (for the most part ... except for a few truly genuinely honorable sorts) have been ready to go to the ACC since 2004. It's reflected by this Jamoke.

The reality is they play in a Mausoleum. Their market (truly CNY ... and NOT NYC) is nothing. Nothing. Even in upstate, you can't get an insitutional lender to go there. They wanted to build a Mall bigger than Mall of America ... and thought that was progress in the Modern times. They have nothing. The fanbase looked down their nose at the others ... and they underachieved since 2004.

Now? They will learn the lesson that BC is learning. They have some money; but they had a Place in the Big East. They were something. The Orange in the ACC will be an also-ran.

I'm nervous about our fate; but, I KNOW that we have a super AD. We win National Championships in many sports. And we have a Market. We will land someplace good.

I'm hoping to see one of the schools I follow in college sports (UConn) join a conference out of its geographic region knowing that I will probably have to relive (as with PSU and the Big10) the downgrading of its programs because of subtle pressure from its league office.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
i don't see how anyone can begrudge Cuse when everyone concedes they'd want us on the next bus to the ACC. at this point we're pretty much where Cuse was after the last raid. we feel like we missed the boat and want to be first in line for the next one.

personally i'm not thrilled with the idea of joining the ACC, but if i found out we were tomorrow i'd at least be glad i didn't have to worry about this crap anymore and we'd have better bowl options- even though all the "better" would pass on us just like they do BC and we'd end up in Idaho every year.

Many people jumped into the icy waters of the north Atlantic AFTER the Titanic hit the iceberg. Prior to that, it didn't seem like such a good idea.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I don't blame them for leaving. But Providence wasn't the reason. Syracuse had a lot of preference for the ACC all along and many of the reasons were unrelated to the hybrid conference. Pointing the finger at Providence is a way of trying to put the blame on someone else. Personally the blame game is a waste of time. Those blaming Syracuse are acting out of weakness. Those supporting Syracuse's move blaming Providence are acting out of weakness.

Reaction Score
I don't blame them for leaving. But Providence wasn't the reason. Syracuse had a lot of preference for the ACC all along and many of the reasons were unrelated to the hybrid conference. Pointing the finger at Providence is a way of trying to put the blame on someone else. Personally the blame game is a waste of time. Those blaming Syracuse are acting out of weakness. Those supporting Syracuse's move blaming Providence are acting out of weakness.

While that's true recognize that it's entirely possible to not blame Syracuse for leaving, but to think the posts they are making blaming everyone else for their leaving are totally assinine. that's my position at least.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
While that's true recognize that it's entirely possible to not blame Syracuse for leaving, but to think the posts they are making blaming everyone else for their leaving are totally assinine. that's my position at least.
I believe that is what I stated.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I do blame them for leaving. The Big East was on the cusp of a huge TV deal and Syracuse was supportive of just about every major action the Big East took. Then they 180 and screw everyone, and throw our athletic program into the toilet in the process. If you aren't angry at them for that, then I don't understand how you can be a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
I do blame them for leaving. The Big East was on the cusp of a huge TV deal and Syracuse was supportive of just about every major action the Big East took. Then they 180 and screw everyone, and throw our athletic program into the toilet in the process. If you aren't angry at them for that, then I don't understand how you can be a UConn fan.

Had all the BE FB schools held the line, all of us would have been in line for a huge payday. Instead, we are screwed because CUSE and PITT decided to slip away in the middle of the night without any notice or hint of threat of leaving. Pitt's president pointing to statement made back in May 2010 is a total joke. At end of the day, they only did what's best for themselves and could careless about rest of the conference mates.

Now, we are forced to make decisions we did not have to make 1 month ago. One month ago, I could careless about the ACC. Now, I have to hope UCONN is part of it just to survive. It is crazy we are in this position but CUSE and PITT bailing at first chance they got is what started it.

It certainly wasn't hard for ACC to divide and conquer BE schools. All they had to do was stating that "if you don't take the offer, someone else will..etc" and that was it. Screw CUSE and Pitt. I don't blame them for looking out for themselves only but they certainly screwed rest of the 7 schools that are left behind.

Reaction Score
Many people jumped into the icy waters of the north Atlantic AFTER the Titanic hit the iceberg. Prior to that, it didn't seem like such a good idea.
Your problem is you don't want to admit there's an iceberg staring us down, choosing instead to pretend that all Herbst and her mates have to do to avoid it is commit to staying on the ship.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm angry that the situation developed. There are many factors that have taken place and are still taking place that makes pointing fingers at one or two isolated things unhelpful. I've admitted, in the poll I've created about the future for the B12, that there is a part of me that would love to see this whole thing backfire on the ACC. But that just shows I'm human. I'm expressing sour grapes. In the end there are no good guys and bad guys. There is just a free for all in which every university is advocating for themselves. Sometimes they agree with each other. Sometimes they don't.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Your problem is you don't want to admit there's an iceberg staring us down, choosing instead to pretend that all Herbst and her mates have to do to avoid it is commit to staying on the ship.

In this particular case, that is all they had to do. If Pitt and Syracuse didn't bail out, there would not have been a problem. The one defense they have is that WVU seemed to be making noises about trying to get into the SEC. The football schools did bring this upon themselves though. This was avoidable, and no one's fault but our own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom