OT: - Who has the biggest rivalry? | The Boneyard

OT: Who has the biggest rivalry?

Reaction Score
Was going to make this a poll but there are too many options to consider so a discussion it is:

The genesis for this comes from the discussion on rivalries in CFB.

In my eyes, it's hard to beat the OSU-Michigan rivalry as far as CFB is concerned. But people in the south, North Texas, so cal and Oregon would argue.

As for other sports my vote is for Yankees Red Sox as the ultimate rivalry. In any sport.

Whats the yard think?

Reaction Score
I had this discussion with two friends, and the debate raged on for a year. One friend said Duke-UNC. Based on their close proximity, just a few miles from each other, their long lasting success, and the incredibly heated battles, I understood that argument. (Duke 50 UNC 50 in Coach K era). My friend from Texas felt it Texas-Oklahoma, because of the importance of football in that part of the country it was much more serious. I suggested the OSU-Michigan or Army-Navy (often overworked because they are no longer national powers) rivalries as being two of the top, however, I went with Red Sox Yankees.

However, the debate was finally settled by my acquaintance who initially said UNC-Duke. He came back from Boston after watching the band, The Police, in concert at Fenway Park. He walked up to me and stated, ”Ok, you win.” He claimed that as he was leaving a rock concert, when neither of the Yankees or the Red Sox were playing and the crowd was chanting in wall-shaking fashion, “Yankees suck, Yankees Suck!” He ended with a kind of a exasperating look on his face, “ They weren’t even playing a baseball game.“

Extra Credit:
Frazier-Ali?
Jeff Ward-R. Johnson or Hannah-Howerton?
Richard Petty-David Pearson?
Martina-Everit or Federer-Nadal?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Post-Arby's August vs. his toilet. A rivalry for the ages.

Internationally, gotta throw in: 1. River Plate / Boca Juniors. 2. Celtic / Rangers. 3. Barcelona / Real Madrid.

Unfortunately in college hoop it's the obvious one.
Glasgow Celtic ( Catholic) Ranger( Protestant) is completely insane and probably the most violent rivalry ever.
They were divided by religion including all their players and fans ,so much violence accompanied there games
that their were forbidden by law to play each other.
Yet they met at clandestine locations on a holiday( I believe Christmas) to play.
Ironically the rivalry intensity faded when Celtic started signing Protestants players in the 20th century and became dominate for a while which caused Rangers to remove the restrictions. They are still rivals in Scotland but few games result in death anymore.
I inherited coaching a soccer team called Rangers and the previous coach ( named Scotty) made sure I understood the tradition.

Reaction Score
I live in Nashville and you hear:

LSU-Florida

Auburn-Alabama

Kentucky-indiana

Yankees Red Sox shames them all. Probably not universally accepted because anyone outside the northeast considers NYC a "to be avoided at all cost" city. So they never see it

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Post-Arby's August vs. his toilet. A rivalry for the ages.

Internationally, gotta throw in: 1. River Plate / Boca Juniors. 2. Celtic / Rangers. 3. Barcelona / Real Madrid.

Unfortunately in college hoop it's the obvious one.
Rivalry implies competitiveness. That’s a one sided affair like calling the New Jersey generals the globetrotters rival.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Given the other schools in our league, I’m pretty sure it’s us vs Jesus

Reaction Score
I hear the Chicago vs. NY argument here in TN. But that's basically casserole vs pizza. When i bring up that New Haven is the best people laugh at me. They have no clue

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Crips and Bloods

More deaths in this rivalry than all the rivalries listed above combined to the 4th power.

Reaction Score
I hear the Chicago vs. NY argument here in TN. But that's basically casserole vs pizza. When i bring up that New Haven is the best people laugh at me. They have no clue
Yeah. The New Haven pizza scene isn’t something known by the average American. That’s ok. Nobody wants more competition for pizza at the big New Haven shops. They are busy enough.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Native Coloradans vs. Texan tourists

Reaction Score
I had this discussion with two friends, and the debate raged on for a year. One friend said Duke-UNC. Based on their close proximity, just a few miles from each other, their long lasting success, and the incredibly heated battles, I understood that argument. (Duke 50 UNC 50 in Coach K era). My friend from Texas felt it Texas-Oklahoma, because of the importance of football in that part of the country it was much more serious. I suggested the OSU-Michigan or Army-Navy (often overworked because they are no longer national powers) rivalries as being two of the top, however, I went with Red Sox Yankees.

However, the debate was finally settled by my acquaintance who initially said UNC-Duke. He came back from Boston after watching the band, The Police, in concert at Fenway Park. He walked up to me and stated, ”Ok, you win.” He claimed that as he was leaving a rock concert, when neither of the Yankees or the Red Sox were playing and the crowd was chanting in wall-shaking fashion, “Yankees suck, Yankees Suck!” He ended with a kind of a exasperating look on his face, “ They weren’t even playing a baseball game.“

Extra Credit:
Frazier-Ali?
Jeff Ward-R. Johnson or Hannah-Howerton?
Richard Petty-David Pearson?
Martina-Everit or Federer-Nadal?
My first ever visit to Fenway was @ 2004. Not for a Red Sox game, but a Jimmy Buffett concert. Same chant.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom