Who do you want as the next UConn head coach? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Who do you want as the next UConn head coach?

Who do you want as the next UConn head coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I know it won't happen, I am fully aware that a move such as this never works and I realize that it would be unlikely to get the parties to agree to the arrangement but I would be on board with Miles coming in as head coach with Lashlee as offensive coordinator/head coach in waiting with a five year window for him to step in when Miles departs/retires.

I don't think this could happen...but this is the only way Miles makes sense. Makes no sense for Lashlee...but that would be a great staff.

Reaction Score
And the channel 8 sports guys said Jerry Kill was under consideration.
Take it with a grain of salt
There was already an article where kill said he didn't want to be HC. He was floated for OC. Maybe that still happens.

Reaction Score
The only thing positive about Purdue is that they are currently in the Big 10. There is nothing to suggest they are invested in their athletic programs.

Purdue is opening a brand new 65 million dollar football facility in 2017. Not discussing it. They are building it right now. They invest plenty.

Reaction Score
Purdue is opening a brand new 65 million dollar football facility in 2017. Not discussing it. They are building it right now. They invest plenty.

Pfft... facts.

They also bumped the Assistant Coach salary pool by a million.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Here's my list.
Would be happy with:
  • Miles
  • Moorhead
  • Fleck
  • Neal Brown
Just OK
  • Sciano
  • Golden
  • Jim Schwartz
  • Lashlee (no HC experience)
  • Orlando (no HC experience)
Just say NO
  • Edsall
  • Weist
  • Breiner
  • Both Michigan offensive coordinator/QB guys
  • Other guys with no HC experience.

No Schiano. I'd take Edsall back before that.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

50M in new TV money will do that. Sooner or later even RU has to stop sucking at that level of income.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Something else to consider.

DB has been lining up a new HC for a month now.

He had to have a name and pay range to get boosters to pay for BD to go away. People with that kind of $$$ want to know a way forward.

Whomever the coach hired is someone DB could work with behind the scenes without raising eyebrows.

In other words DB already knew the guy, probably has worked with him and they've already discussed a plan of action for fixing UConn.

Reaction Score
Here's my list.
Would be happy with:
  • Miles
  • Moorhead
  • Fleck
  • Neal Brown
Just OK
  • Sciano
  • Golden
  • Jim Schwartz
Just say NO
  • Edsall
  • Weist
  • Breiner

With everything that I've read from Benedict where he describes his ideal candidate, I think the pool is former or current head coach at The FBS Level. With how bad Diaco was coming in with no HC experience, I think he will be gun shy to look in that direction again so soon. I think he wants someone who knows how to run a team, recruit, and who won't embarrass the program with stupid * like The CONFLict Trophy, red pants, or any number of insane ramblings like Non Key Starters or Fish Oil Cakes. The College Football World is watching he doesn't want to fall on his face. JMO but the pool of coaches is likely guys like Miles, Golden, Schiano, Pelini etc. All guys who have had success and might be itching for a shot to show they could do it again.

Reaction Score
50M in new TV money will do that. Sooner or later even RU has to stop sucking at that level of income.

Except one has always sucked at everything, while the other has had success in multiple sports for 100+ years.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been said but does anybody else think it is curious that Edsall has recently followed 3 UConn accounts (UConnBlog, Football, Huskies) on twitter, and also recently following Benedict

Reaction Score
I'm keeping this realistic, so no Moorhead (multiple sources saying he's out), Tressel (he said he's done coaching), Orlando (he just took the job with Texas), or Les Miles (wants to win a championship not rebuild a program).

EDIT: Two names that wouldn't fit on the poll that I've seen folks mention are Skip Holtz (currently churning out 9-5 seasons at La Tech) and Andrew Breiner (Moorhead's successor at Fordham).

I would prefer Moorhead but if he is not coming, Al Golden. I would also consider the JMU Coach and his staff. That way you
bring a real cohesive group who has won together. Mile Houston and his OC coordinator, Donnie Kirkpatrick and Defensive
Coordinator, Bob Trott and their respective position coaches. James Madison University Athletics - 2016 Football Coaching Staff

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been said but does anybody else think it is curious that Edsall has recently followed 3 UConn accounts (UConnBlog, Football, Huskies) on twitter, and also recently following Benedict
I'm surprised that a guy who coached at a school for 11 years wouldn't have been following UCONN all along. Opportunist.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that a guy who coached at a school for 11 years wouldn't have been following UCONN all along. Opportunist.
Oh he follows Uconn quite closely. Can do so without an electronic footprint

Reaction Score
Here's my list.
Would be happy with:
  • Miles
  • Moorhead
  • Fleck
  • Neal Brown
Just OK
  • Sciano
  • Golden
  • Jim Schwartz
Just say NO
  • Edsall
  • Weist
  • Breiner
If Jim Schwartz was willing to come from the NFL (where he once was a HC) and be HC in Storrs we'd probably want to jump on that opportunity yesterday...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If Jim Schwartz was willing to come from the NFL (where he once was a HC) and be HC in Storrs we'd probably want to jump on that opportunity yesterday...

Likely have to wait until the Eagles finish their season. But I don't know why I'm the only one mentioning the guy. Everybody talks about Golden.

"According to ESPN NFL Insider Chris Mortensen, “some who know Schwartz don't believe he will take just any job if it presents itself. He could be entertained by the right college opportunity.”"

Reaction Score
I used to like Garrick McGee when Edsall left then Coach P got axed... We'd be a spring board for him I think... to an SEC gig....

He would probably need 4 or 5 big seasons to parlay this job to an SEC gig. If he gives us 4 or 5 good season, it would be worth it.

Reaction Score
Garrick McGee failed pretty miserably at UAB before abruptly leaving to go back to Louisville as Petrino's OC. He left last year to head to Illinois joining Lovie Smith's staff as OC. My top choice along with Tom Bradley to replace Edsall..I think this ship has sailed.

Reaction Score
I've settled my mind on Schiano as 2A and Lashlee as 2B (Moorehead being 1, but I don't know if he is still a possibilty)

Reaction Score
Likely have to wait until the Eagles finish their season. But I don't know why I'm the only one mentioning the guy. Everybody talks about Golden.

"According to ESPN NFL Insider Chris Mortensen, “some who know Schwartz don't believe he will take just any job if it presents itself. He could be entertained by the right college opportunity.”"

Honestly I'm not sure why you are mentioning Schwartz at all. He hasn't coached in The NCAA since the early 90's, and then it was at a low level assistant position. He built his career as an NFL Coach. I simply see no connection for why he would want to coach at Uconn at this point in his career.

NFL Coaches and NCAA Coaches are often really different cats. The NFL is coaching and only coaching of professionals 24/7. College is less hours coaching, but with addition of non stop recruiting, managing of 100+ teenagers/young adults, monitoring academics, and the job of glad handing boosters, alums, politicians, fans etc. They are almost entirely different professions.

For the career NFL Guy this is often a shock to the system and why a guy like Bill Obrien was a short timer, and others like Lovie Smith and Jim Mora could soon follow.

Last edited:

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Here's my list...

1. Les Miles (I know its a pipe dream, but you have to ask his agent if he'd at least talk/interview- and honestly at 62 this would be a no pressure gig for him for a few of years)

2. Greg Schiano (Hated him at Rutgers, would love him here... Get's the Northeast and recruiting here and how to clean up messes- i.e. Rutgers)

3. Al Golden (If he even wants to get back into the college coaching game, Golden is a solid choice that would fit with what DB is looking for. Didn't work out at Miami, but then again who does?? And com'on who wouldn't want to see a blue/red/white striped tie on our sidelines every game?)

4. Bobby Wilder (This guy has pretty quietly built a program at Old Dominon from scratch, and turned them into a 10-3 perennial power in the C-USA. UConn would be a place that would be a logical "next step" for someone like Wilder, and he checks the already has head coaching experience box for us.)

5. Rhett Lashlee (The only guy who I'd possibly be OK with without HC experience, outside of Todd Orlando or Joe Moorhead. The 33 year old has lead Auburn's offense the last 4 years- think about that kind of upside... He has ties to DB from his time down there too)

6. Rob Ambrose (If we're going the FCS route, then going back to the well with a guy who knows this program (from its roots) and has had mild success in the FCS at Towson, isn't a terrible idea.)

7. Joe Moorhead (If he even wants to come here- I'd take him in a second, but given the reports he's not interested I just threw his name on here.)

8. Todd Orlando (Same goes for Todd Orlando, now at Texas with Tom Herrman, plus he's a DC and offense has been our issue as of late...)

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I've settled my mind on Schiano as 2A and Lashlee as 2B (Moorehead being 1, but I don't know if he is still a possibilty)

Keep shaking the tumbler.

Reaction Score
Miles was fired for being too conservative at LSU. He has no recruiting ties to the area. Why would anyone want him here?

Luckily, it will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog