Who cares if Huskies stay in Big East? | The Boneyard

Who cares if Huskies stay in Big East?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, Memphis with John Calipari played in a God-awful conference which they dominated and were on national TV all the time. Uconn is a brand--3 time champions. I could care less if we had no conference and played independently. If Uconn has the best players and play the best brand of basketball-nothing else would matter.

Now I hope the AD does the right thing and give Kevin Ollie a 5 year contract. While we do have two very nice players under lock and key, there is no doubt that K O is ham-stringed beyond that.

Reaction Score
This conference will be the Big East in name only. I cant even imagine how laughable the "Big East Tournament" is going to be at MSG with those teams.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It's pretty goddam bad. Probably all the other conferences have lined up against us. That's all right. These things gotta happen every five years or so, ten years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood. Been ten years since the last one. You know, you gotta stop them at the beginning. Like they should have stopped Hitler at Munich, they should never let him get away with that, they was just asking for trouble.

If I remember correctly, Memphis with John Calipari played in a God-awful conference which they dominated and were on national TV all the time. Uconn is a brand--3 time champions. I could care less if we had no conference and played independently. If Uconn has the best players and play the best brand of basketball-nothing else would matter.

Now I hope the AD does the right thing and give Kevin Ollie a 5 year contract. While we do have two very nice players under lock and key, there is no doubt that K O is ham-stringed beyond that.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga, Memphis, Butler (I'm sure I'm missing some) are the exceptions of college basketball. Those teams have spurts of success when they get some rare talent, but if anybody thinks we can consistently be at the level we have been for the past 20 years in the "new" Big East is borderline looney. Everything will be to a lesser degree: money, coaching, players, arenas, competition. It's simply an overall downgrade in every aspect.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga, Memphis, Butler (I'm sure I'm missing some) are the exceptions of college basketball. Those teams have spurts of success when they get some rare talent, but if anybody thinks we can consistently be at the level we have been for the past 20 years in the "new" Big East is borderline looney. Everything will be to a lesser degree: money, coaching, players, arenas, competition. It's simply an overall downgrade in every aspect.

I would include Temple & Xavier in that list as well. But the future is going to be about which bball programs adjust to realignment and there will be new winners & losers...But it's far from decided who will be in which category. Going to a "better" conference doesn't guarantee success (BC) and remaining in the BE won't define a schools potential to compete. I don't think Ed Cooley is going to be any less relentless on the trail because RU is gone, so why so much wine & cheese over here. VCU didn't wait for somebody to come crown there a$$es and rescue them?

While we're moaning about being left behind there are those hungry programs out there like Houston, SMU, Memphis, UCF, Providence, SJU, that are foaming at the mouth waiting to get their shot to dominate this league. No league going forward will have as many teams with apartment-sized "chips" on their collective shoulders trying to prove all the doubters wrong as the BE. That's the same perspective that turned the original BE into the BEast of cbb.

Reaction Score
I would include Temple & Xavier in that list as well. But the future is going to be about which bball programs adjust to realignment and there will be new winners & losers...But it's far from decided who will be in which category. Going to a "better" conference doesn't guarantee success (BC) and remaining in the BE won't define a schools potential to compete. I don't think Ed Cooley is going to be any less relentless on the trail because RU is gone, so why so much wine & cheese over here. VCU didn't wait for somebody to come crown there a$$es and rescue them?

While we're moaning about being left behind there are those hungry programs out there like Houston, SMU, Memphis, UCF, Providence, SJU, that are foaming at the mouth waiting to get their shot to dominate this league. No league going forward will have as many teams with apartment-sized "chips" on their collective shoulders trying to prove all the doubters wrong as the BE. That's the same perspective that turned the original BE into the BEast of cbb.
Getting into the ACC doesn't garentee anything, but it greatly adds to the several categories already mentioned. That's not really debatable. Ask yourselves one question: would you rather play the new teams heading into the big East in the near future, or Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Duke, North Carolina, Loiusville etc.? I bet I know where the big time recruits will want to go. We have spent years turning the Big East into what it is, and we have too big of a name to wait around 20 more years for these new members that may or may not turn into basketball schools. Maybe they will, maybe they won't but I know the big time teams I just named ALREADY ARE and they always will be.

Reaction Score
Getting into the ACC doesn't garentee anything, but it greatly adds to the several categories already mentioned. That's not really debatable. Ask yourselves one question: would you rather play the new teams heading into the big East in the near future, or Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Duke, North Carolina, Loiusville etc.? I bet I know where the big time recruits will want to go. We have spent years turning the Big East into what it is, and we have too big of a name to wait around 20 more years for these new members that may or may not turn into basketball schools. Maybe they will, maybe they won't but I know the big time teams I just named ALREADY ARE and they always will be.

How much have those benefits that the ACC provides meant for Wake, Miami, VT, GT, BC, Clemson, Virginia & to a lesser extent FSU & Maryland bball. A part of me really wants to post comments similar to yours, because there is truth in it. But what's not included in your post is that...A Choice Doesn't Exist right now. So either we feel down or we double down...I for doubling down, manning up & betting on our chances against any other program out there in any conference!

Reaction Score
How much have those benefits that the ACC provides meant for Wake, Miami, VT, GT, BC, Clemson, Virginia & to a lesser extent FSU & Maryland bball. A part of me really wants to post comments similar to yours, because there is truth in it. But what's not included in your post is that...A Choice Doesn't Exist right now. So either we feel down or we double down...I for doubling down, manning up & betting on our chances against any other program out there in any conference!

Love your optimism! Unfortunately, I don't share it. :(

Reaction Score

As a fan, I don't want to see us go from being in a BCS powerhouse conference to being in a mid-major. There are many negatives, especially with the retirement of a Hall of Fame coach. There's too much transition. Calhoun built this program, but in the early years, he used to tell recruits, "look who you can play against". KO or whoever our future coach is won't have that card to play.

Reaction Score
Love your optimism! Unfortunately, I don't share it. :(
Love your honesty :) I just thinks its way too early in this new chapter of cbb to say who the new winners and losers will be. If conference affiliation was all that mattered Uconn could never have jumped past so many "blue bloods" over the bast 25 years...I'm looking at you UCLA.

Reaction Score
Love your honesty :) I just thinks its way too early in this new chapter of cbb to say who the new winners and losers will be. If conference affiliation was all that mattered Uconn could never have jumped past so many "blue bloods" over the bast 25 years...I'm looking at you UCLA.

Good points and you're right. Who knows what will happen? As a fan, I'm just a little antsy.

Reaction Score
Good points and you're right. Who knows what will happen? As a fan, I'm just a little antsy.
Me too:D But remember this...every conference now has teams one of the folowing categories now:
  1. Happy about realignment & expects to benefit big time (Louisville, RU, TCU, all the incoming BE teams, the entire B12, conferences like the MAC)
  2. Feeling like they lost out so far in realignment (FSU, Clemson, BYU, Current all-sport BE teams not leaving & some bball only BE schools)
  3. Things have gotten a little worse (The entire SEC except the newcomers, B1G & ACC schools that care about football)
  4. Things are a little better (ND)
  5. Not much change (PAC12)
To turn that complex list into a winners/losers list is going to take time lol!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
TULANE
SOUTHERN METHODIST

ITS THE BIG EAST TOURNAMENT AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN AND ITS ALL JUST A LITTLE BIT OF HIIIIISTORY REPEEEEATING

Reaction Score
These are good points, but we aren't those teams. Those are lower tier teams for the most part and we are UCONN, and three time champ among many other accolades. We are just fans and I'm going to cheer whether we are in the ACC or the Mountain West but I would hate to see a school with as much clout and history get left behind in this conference realignment.

Reaction Score
These are good points, but we aren't those teams. Those are lower tier teams for the most part and we are UCONN, and three time champ among many other accolades. We are just fans and I'm going to cheer whether we are in the ACC or the Mountain West but I would hate to see a school with as much clout and history get left behind in this conference realignment.

Actually no one is being "left behind" it's really just teams switching conferences. This is not a new phenomena, but what makes it really suck this time is that this time the significance of tv $$ is trampling everything else that makes college sports fun for us fans. Think diehard RU fans are looking forward to road trips to the midwest for all sports all year every year.

Reaction Score
As a program I think we'll be in a position similar to UNLV and SDSU. With the right coach - Final Fours are not out of the question.

You really have to root for KO because he is the one guy that will not look at UConn as a stepping stone.

Reaction Score
I think they're probably excited about joining a legitimate conference.

The Big East is a ramshackle graveyard. You're polishing a turd. I respect the optimism, but I'd prefer an exit plan.

Good one, easy at the moment too. No, I think I just may be one of the fans getting up from the floor quicker than some others after being kicked in the b@lls a couple of times.

Reaction Score
The thing I'm seeing is that these conferences are going to give a big to the NCAA and break away from them and have their own thing going much like they did with the BCS and now the new playoff system they have going which only benefits them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom