Whitmers coming back Per Dez. That is good news. | The Boneyard

Whitmers coming back Per Dez. That is good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For the non-Twitter peeps:

desmondconner12:03pm via Web
#UConn quarterback Chandler Whitmer replaced as a starter after 4 games in 2013 and graduated in December says he is returning to #Storrs

desmondconner12:04pm via Web
Whitmer back to Storrs: "I talked to Coach Diaco and he wants me to come back and compete, be a part of the program. If I start, I start..."

desmondconner12:08pm via Web
Whitmer and #UConn WR Geremy Davis have been playing catch lately. "We're both in the Atlanta area.... He's needed time to recover."

chandlerwhitmer12:18pm via Twitter for iPhone
Don't be afraid to fail, it'll keep you from your full potential.

Reaction Score
New coaching staff will give everyone a chance with their new system.
This way, he also gets his diploma for free.

Reaction Score
Pretty much seals a transfer/possible position change for KT no?

Reaction Score
I think I read somewhere he'll be done with Bachelor's this May.

Reaction Score
No??? Why? They haven't even started competing in the new system yet.

This is probably the most talent we have ever had at the position in terms of numbers.

Reaction Score
I think I read somewhere he'll be done with Bachelor's this May.
... and, a great opportunity for Whitmer to get a start on a Masters degree, potential coaching career (not saying that's his plan, just a possibility), and possibility of competing for playing time in a potential last year of football, etc. Win, win!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I like Whitmer, and I think that he would be much more successful under the Foley-led line than he was under the GDL line. Even having said that, his numbers weren't all that bad, and they were certainly much better than Boyle's were (obviously Boyle is young and with room to grow into a very good QB). Cochran finished off the year strong, so I'm not trying to slight Casey in any way. I'm just saying that it has been my opinion for quite some time that the top two QB's on this team are Whitmer and Cochran, and I'm not overly convinced as to who is better.

Hang tough, Chandler!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Truth is, we are replacing most of our OL in 2014. If something happened to Cochran, Whitmer should be the #2. Redshirt Boyle so that he can learn Cummings' new offense and gain confidence in getting the ball out on time.

Reaction Score

Of course not !!! CW is here for 1 more year, and he and KT have totally different skill sets. KT has 4 years left.

No one has even practiced in the new system yet !!!!!!!!!!!! How could any thing be sealed ???????

Reaction Score
Like everyone is saying, it's good news that CW is willing to come back as insurance. Diaco I'm sure wants to win sooner rather than later, so if CW is the best QB, he'll start. It also means Boyle has the ability to redshirt, but if he's clearly the best QB, you can't redshirt him.

This has nothing to do with Kivon Taylor, who probably was never going to be any more than a package a game kind of guy this year, until he continues to develop for possible full time PT in the future years.

Reaction Score
Granted Casey threw the ball well. Would like to see how Whitmer will handle having as much time. Pocket protection was much better for Casey than Boyle and Whitmer.

Reaction Score
I suppose you guys are right about the lack of implications on Taylor. I do like Whitmer too. I played pretty well against MD (pick 6 aside) and Michigan (the late pick deep in our own territory and a couple other questionable decisions.) Definitely a victim of the line play/schemes. Before this past season started my buddy and I said that if Whitmer returns as the starter it means he beat out Cochrane which is good and if Cochrane beat out Whitmer it means he's even better. Same mindset going into next year.

Reaction Score
Whitmer's decision should have no impact on Taylor. Whitmer has one year left. If Taylor decides to transfer or they decide to change his position it will because of Boyle/Cochran.

Taylor will have a chance to compete like everyone else.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Whitmer's decision should have no impact on Taylor. Whitmer has one year left. If Taylor decides to transfer or they decide to change his position it will because of Boyle/Cochran.

Taylor will have a chance to compete like everyone else.

Right. I'm only going off what I saw at the open practice but I thought Taylor threw a pretty nice ball. If I went in there blind, not knowing who was who, I'm not sure I would picked him as the "package" QB. He has that prototypical size.

Reaction Score
Truth is, we are replacing most of our OL in 2014. If something happened to Cochran, Whitmer should be the #2. Redshirt Boyle so that he can learn Cummings' new offense and gain confidence in getting the ball out on time.

This. I love this kid is coming back.

Reaction Score
"Coach Diaco wants me to come back". That's the key take for me here. After speaking earlier with a few folks I was convinced Whitmer was all but gone and yet Diaco inspired him to stick around. The fact that Whitmer is enthusiastic about it tells me a lot about the kid but even more about Diaco's power of persuasion and that bodes well for recruiting going forward.

Reaction Score
I knew I should have called coach and told him I wanted to finally pursue my master's. Aren't they still looking for a water boy?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A healthy competitive Whitmer is good.

As several others have mentioned ideally Whitmer serves as a backup while Boyle learns a new system and gets his redshirt back.

Reaction Score
If CW wins the starting job we're 5-7 or 6-6. He seems like a great kid but his return should have no effect on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom