Whitmer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Whitmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whitmer, Nebrich, Cochran, then McEntee from my seat. It seemed Nebrich had guys in his face most of the time. All did some good things, and all made some mistakes, but Whitmer definitely won the day.

With Phillips, Smith, Williams, and the Clemson transfer as options at WR, there is potential for a nice year.....provided the OL comes together. Love the underneath patterns to Williams!

Reaction Score
Is there any reason this needs to be dragged out through the summer and fall. Name him the starter and get him the practice reps.
I don't care how good CW was or is, I keep having nightmares that PP will basically say to everyone and starts Johnny Mac this fall even if he's on crutches.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i guess we need to seperate this a bit.

Who is the best qb in order list wise?
What is your depth chart for qb?

These 2 will be mixed becuase of style and redshirts. Thats what i'm struggling with a bit becuase this position is such a mess right now. 1 more year of recruiting a qb and some rs and we will have a normal qb depth chart.

whitmer-nebrich-casey-mccum-jmac

1-start whitmer
2-backup with nebrich if whitmer isn't good or gets hurt. this has to be for several games or halfs for this to happen with nebrich. other wise nebrich gets a rs.
3- otherwise small time back up stuff like 1st game snaps and blowout w/l types goes to Mcum. A little wildcat also. He can't be a #2 though if its half the season, hes the #2 for small stuff/wildcat.
4- jmac is the 3rd qb.
5-casey-rs

for 12-13:
whitmer(jr)
nebrich(rs so)
casey (rs fr)
mcum(jr)
qb recruit (fr who will be rs)

^thats the balance and depth we need to get to at qb. therefore i feel my plan is ideal for the future and not just winning next year.

Reaction Score
Assuming Nebrich is open to it, I'd rather get in his redshirt year this year than use him as a backup QB. I did not think he was better than McEntee yesterday, as much as I wanted that to be the case. To me, its Whitmer, with McEntee as the backup and McCummings getting considerable time if Whitmer is hurt, too.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Assuming Nebrich is open to it, I'd rather get in his redshirt year this year than use him as a backup QB. I did not think he was better than McEntee yesterday, as much as I wanted that to be the case. To me, its Whitmer, with McEntee as the backup and McCummings getting considerable time if Whitmer is hurt, too.

i want to rs nebrich also. but if whitmer doesn't worj or gets hurt and we have half a season to go, i would rather put nebrich in then lose the season with jmac. i have officially seen enough of him. sorry to say.

pj

Reaction Score
2012 - Whitmer starts, McEntee backup, McCummings wildcat, Nebrich and Cochran redshirt, if Whitmer injured Nebrich comes off redshirt and starts
2013 - Whitmer starts, Nebrich backup and wildcat, Cochran 3rd QB, McCummings redshirt with developmental focus either as complete QB or WR. No more QBs who can only play wildcat.

Reaction Score
Whitmer, Nebrich, Cochran, then McEntee from my seat. It seemed Nebrich had guys in his face most of the time. All did some good things, and all made some mistakes, but Whitmer definitely won the day.

With Phillips, Smith, Williams, and the Clemson transfer as options at WR, there is potential for a nice year.....provided the OL comes together. Love the underneath patterns to Williams!

It looked, to me, like OL's started swapping jersey colors after Nebrich's 2nd series. The kid never had a chance.

Reaction Score
It looked, to me, like OL's started swapping jersey colors after Nebrich's 2nd series. The kid never had a chance.
I agree, but I would like to watch the replay to confirm.

Reaction Score
I saw it as:

Whitmer
Mac
Nebrich
Cochran

A redshirt year would do wonders for Cochran, pretty sure that will happen unless he has a huge summer camp. I was expecting more from Nebrich, but he looked like Mac with more mobility and less pocket presence (can't believe I just typed that, but considering that all the QBs had makeshift o-lines in front of them, he looked the least comfortable back there).

Here's an interesting thought - I had to leave after the 3Q because of my son's baseball practice and caught most of the 4Q on the 1080 - they were speculating (pure speculation of course, but maybe with some hint of legs) that that may have been the last time Nebrich dons a UConn uni.

Think about it...Whitmer played head and shoulders above the other 3 yesterday and has 3 seasons of eligibility remaining. Cochran might be the QB of the future after a redshirt year and another year of backing up Whitmer. Where does that leave Nebrich? Especially since Whitmer and Cochran were the QBs recruited by this staff.

I have no idea and wasn't even thinking about it before I heard the radio guys yesterday but I won't be shocked if Nebrich or a couple of other guys transfer in the next month or so, once they digest how they did yesterday and where they're going to finish the season on the depth chart. To 18-19-20 year old kids, too often its all about the PT.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Steve Greene played LG for both teams for the entire first quarter (running to the sidelines to put on/take off the blue jersey he wore over the white one). Early on I mentioned to the father of one of the players (half joking) that he'll be worn out by the second series of the second quarter. When my son asked "what if he is able to play the entire game?" I replied "he then will need to provide his conditioning regimen to every college and NFL team for their offensive linemen to follow!".

I heard some very good things about Jimmy Bennett's recovery (and Jimmy looked at least 25 lbs heavier than he did last fall) and Kevin Friend looks five years older (and much more polished) than he did last fall so (a long as we remain healthy) we may end up pleasantly surprised with our offensive line play in the fall. Hemingway and Nwokeji (both RS frosh) are both at least 30 lbs too light at the moment but if they can add a bit of bulk over the next few months we will have enough bodies (and for the most part sufficient size) throughout the offensive line for an entire season. If we won't need to move anyone from guard (Masters, who was injured yesterday) to tackle during the season and Mateas gets fully comfortable at center, things may fall into place nicely.

Reaction Score
I saw it as:

Whitmer
Mac
Nebrich
Cochran

A redshirt year would do wonders for Cochran, pretty sure that will happen unless he has a huge summer camp. I was expecting more from Nebrich, but he looked like Mac with more mobility and less pocket presence (can't believe I just typed that, but considering that all the QBs had makeshift o-lines in front of them, he looked the least comfortable back there).

When watching Nebrich, I started to wonder if the reason he didn't see much time last year was because of the fact that he does not stay in the pocket long enough. It seemed like every play he was rolling out (not by design). Obviously the line play wasn't good, to put it mildly, but the thought crossed my mind.

And qb's transfer all the time for playing time. Just look at our qbs. We have had a couple transfer to start somewhere else (Brown and Cundiff), and we have had 3 guys transfer in, in the hopes of getting playing time (Lorenzan, Zach Frazer, and now Whitmer). Some kids just want to play, and when they feel there is no chance at a particular school, they leave. I can't blame them.

Reaction Score
I say that he is not going anywhere. I think that we expect way too much of the qb's. Normally a QB is not starting until his Junior or Senior year. It takes time to develop. We expect these guy to be ready??

His first throw was pretty good - I think an out pattern. After that he did not have much time.

Reaction Score
Unless they know something that we don't, the 1080 speculation is damaging and makes me wonder if they were thinking clearly before they brought it up. I wouldn't blame Mike for feeling a little cheated by the circumstances yesterday because he really got the short end of things. QB is a position where things can change quickly and I hope he hangs in and fights for a spot even if it's right behind Whitmer. Too early to give up when you know JM and CW are gone in the next 2 years. I hope Mike stays and gets his shot eventually. We will need him at some point.

Reaction Score
I say that he is not going anywhere. I think that we expect way too much of the qb's. Normally a QB is not starting until his Junior or Senior year. It takes time to develop. We expect these guy to be ready??

Totally Old School thinking. The Jones kid at Oklahoma has been around for 10 years or so it seems. That's just one example.

The idea of a QB waiting til his junior or senior year is right out of the 50's & 60's. That's Yale and Harvard, not BCS. Now, schools go out and recruit a kid, wind him up and get him out on the field. If a kid needs "time to mature" then you red shirt him, not sit his butt on the benc to wait his turn.

Reaction Score
Totally Old School thinking. The Jones kid at Oklahoma has been around for 10 years or so it seems. That's just one example.

The idea of a QB waiting til his junior or senior year is right out of the 50's & 60's. That's Yale and Harvard, not BCS. Now, schools go out and recruit a kid, wind him up and get him out on the field. If a kid needs "time to mature" then you red shirt him, not sit his butt on the bench to wait his turn.

Yes but those kids are the top QBs coming out of high school in the entire nation. That's a far cry from what we get. Most of the time, when a coach doesn't play that 5 star kid he takes a rash of criticism just for letting him languish on the bench. See Chris Simms/Major Applewhite.

Reaction Score
I saw it as:

Whitmer
Mac
Nebrich
Cochran
quote]
Why isn't #15 on your list? Here's the story of a young man who practiced, worked hard, and was given the nod to suit up and play QB at the top level of college football. It may have only happened during the Spring Game, but I'm sure it's something most of us wish we could have accomplished in our youth. Think of the stories we could tell our buddies while drinking beer in our man caves...BZ to Mr. Leu!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom