Whitmer | The Boneyard

Whitmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is there any reason this needs to be dragged out through the summer and fall. Name him the starter and get him the practice reps.

Like his short and intermediate throws a lot. He made two ridiculously dumb passes as well. That was my concern of his coming out of JC, he seemed to throw picks. Hope he learns to play within system and not force things.

With that said, I agree. Name the starter and get him as many reps as possible.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I know not to put too much stock into spring games, but he just looks a lot better than McEntee and Nebrich out there. Cochrane would be my #2 on the day - but I would like to see him RS this season.

Edit: Another TD!

Reaction Score
Is there any reason this needs to be dragged out through the summer and fall. Name him the starter and get him the practice reps.

I am pleasantly surprised. From reports, I did not expect there to be a gap like this. This is exactly what I had hoped for. Someone to come and take the job by the throat. I know it's only the spring game, but there really is no reason to drag this out.

Reaction Score
I am pleasantly surprised. From reports, I did not expect there to be a gap like this. This is exactly what I had hoped for. Someone to come and take the job by the throat. I know it's only the spring game, but there really is no reason to drag this out.

It's only the spring game, but he did do a lot better than the other 3, obviously talented. I would definitely name him the starter and let him get his reps. They can stop putting so much effort on finding a starting QB and start worrying about the team as a whole with no distractions.

Reaction Score
I really liked Whitmer's feet. They should be able to move the pocket with him and have him run for the occasional first down. He's not very big so hopefully he can take the pounding, he is clearly head and shoulders above everyone else.

Reaction Score
I know not to put too much stock into spring games, but he just looks a lot better than McEntee and Nebrich out there. Cochrane would be my #2 on the day - but I would like to see him RS this season.

Edit: Another TD!
I agree.

Reaction Score
He had a couple throws off his back feet than almost got picked off. But other than that he was great. When he set his feet and stepped into the throw he really can zip it in there accurately. Definitely agree he should be the starter.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Without a doubt was the best quarterback of the day. He looked off players and made the right read except once when he threw into the end zone for an INT. Otherwise he looked the part.

Reaction Score
For sure he had the advantage out there today. I need to see it again on TV though. For what it's worth when guys had time they looked good, When they didn't not so much. Was disappointed in some dropped exchanges that really made things look sloppy. This is a body of work thing, not just one game to make a decision but Whit seemed pretty happy with himself when it ended. I'm optomistic that QB is not our main concern.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I don't take too much stock in the pick. I felt like he threw the ball because he saw a defender coming, and at that point a touch would be a sack. Plus, what the hell, it's the spring game. I really don't think he makes that throw in a live game. He threw away a couple of balls when the target was covered, seems pretty savvy.

My quick assessment of the QB position was:
1. Whitmer
2. Nebrich (redshirts)
3. Mac
4. Cochran (redshirts)

That gives us a pretty good 1, a 2 that has a full season of starting experience (solid backup), and McCummings as the change of pace/3. Optimally, Nebrich only plays if Whitmer gets hurt early on and he's decisively better than Mac. Cochran redshirts. Throws a nice ball, but it's pretty obvious he is not ready and a year to mature will do wonders for him.

Reaction Score
I thought Chandler Witmer looked like the best guy out there.

Then again, Blaise Driscoll looked like the best guy out there last year. So... that's worth something.

Reaction Score
Whitmer !!!!!

Gee, he may almost get me to put my rose colored glasses back on.......however the rest of the offensive machine is offensive.

Even PP had a slip up in his post game interview when he said "I think last years team was further along than this years".....then he corrected himself.

Whitmer and Philips may be a frequent call this fall.......those two looked like they could be fairly decent.

Reaction Score
Wasn't even close. Witmer was head and shoulders above the other 3. My assessment was Whitmer is so far ahead it won't be close come August. Pasquoloni might keep the "competition" open officially, but in the real world Whitmer will get more and more of the snaps and will start opening day. Throws a nice ball, his guys in the right spots, finds open men which nobody else was able to do. I'd say Mac was #2 but far far behind. Cochran isn't ready for prime time right now...he looked like the game was just too fast for him, and while he can throw a nice ball, he ahs a tendency to just thow floaters when he needs to go long...and I was sort of surprised by that. He had true freshman written all over him. He has a ways to go. Nebrich still looks like he is out of his element, too Ran some nice plays and threw a nice ball early, but he was forever throwing into coverage. Don't see him seeing much, if any, action this season.

Reaction Score
Whitmer without question was the best QB on the field today. He will be named starter after first week of camp and the 2 Young QB's will redshirt.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
start whitmer. hes a soph with 3 years to play. worst case is he takes lumps this fall learning and the next 2 years he is good cheese. its not that he blew any 1 away today, but that he showed exactly what we were looking for. a little composure, some pocket savy and a couple nice balls. and so on...
nebrich is #2. i like his legs and his ball. felt like his oline was the worst for him and also he wants to use his legs to escape the pocket so the spring game 2 hand touch plays against his type of playing. you don't play him at all though and if you get thru the whole year you red shirt him to seperate him from whitmer year wise. if you do play him then its for a reason....
casey #3 but you rs him for sure. kid has everything but the expierence and year in the weight room. he can get both of those with a rs year. bank on that.
so jmac is 4th in my eyes but will be #3 on the depth chart. sorry to say but watching him was like the same as last year. he just isn't a good qb for this level. he can't make some throws while others are nice. thats to risky. his pocket pres was better but lets no kid ourselves it still reeks as soon as you see it coming.

throw mccum in as the #2a. you don't rs him or anything and you can do thw wildcat thing if its in the plans....for a couple snaps use him instead of nebrich if your giving whitmer a break or w/e. if its a injury to whitmer or a change due to poor play, i say nebrich #2 over mcum.

Reaction Score
To me it looked like Nebrich was the 4th best option out there today. He didnt look comfortable in the pocket at all, and just didnt look like he was ready for the game to be played at the speed that it is in the Big East. I thought that Whitmer was way far and away the best QB we have seen in a number of years, but I thought Cochram was number 2 however I think he should definetely redshirt this year. I would put 1. Whitmer 2. McEntee 3. McCummings 4. Cochran 5. Nebrich

Reaction Score
ill have to watch the game again when its replayed on tv but i didnt think nebrich was ever given enough time by his oline to make an accurate assessment of his performance today. To be honest i tend to hold back judgement from the spring games because its tough to tell when a player makes a good play or someone on the other side of the ball makes a bad play. but it seemed that no one but whitmer showed they have what it takes to lead this offense and hopefully it wont be until after he graduates that we have to be arguing again over which qb should start.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Whitmer clearly looked like the best one out there, as most have said. And he looked better than anything we saw all of last year (not saying much obviously but that's what we're working with). As of right now, I think the plan has to be redshirts for MN and CC with JM as the backup and SM as the wildcat style QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom