White House Visit Set for Tuesday | The Boneyard

White House Visit Set for Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
according to Carl and Jim Fuller.

Hope Kiah and Kaleena will be able to attend. Kiah doesn't have a playoff game until next Friday.

Reaction Score
And Kaleena doesn't have to worry about playoff games. Will the Newbies be allowed to go?

Reaction Score
And Kaleena doesn't have to worry about playoff games. Will the Newbies be allowed to go?
I don't believe newbies have ever gone because they were not part of that team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What about red shirt sophomore Butler? Probably the same for her since she wasn't allowed on the bench or to travel with the team to away games, right?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What about red shirt sophomore Butler? Probably the same for her since she wasn't allowed on the bench or to travel with the team to away games, right?

Again with Duke...... we had a transfer player redshirting last year....... but he paid his own way and was at most if not all of the away games. He went to the White House and was in the team pic.

Reaction Score
Obama has hosted 4 UConn women teams, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014. Plus this year will be 5 times.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
The horde is down to two, Is this the beginning of the end?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
John A still reports on WBB but usually only during the season. Off Season he only writes a few articles and tweets.

The horde is down to two, Is this the beginning of the end?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Most of the time the visit is in the Spring so the 'newbies' wouldn't have yet joined the team. This may be the first fall visit - brings up an interesting question certainly. They are members of the team now, so it might be funny to take a team trip without them, but ...

I would definitely expect her to be there - she practiced with the team, had a scholarship, and sat on the bench in street clothes so she was certainly part of the team.

HGN

Reaction Score
Obama has hosted 4 UConn women teams, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014. Plus this year will be 5 times.
FIVE (5) times.....Wow! I am not sure who the fortunate one is here. Is it President Obama or The Huskies? :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
  • Most of the time the visit is in the Spring so the 'newbies' wouldn't have yet joined the team. This may be the first fall visit - brings up an interesting question certainly. They are members of the team now, so it might be funny to take a team trip without them, but ...I would definitely expect her to be there - she practiced with the team, had a scholarship, and sat on the bench in street clothes so she was certainly part of the team.

Unless there is a definite NCAA rule against a player (Butler) attending a WH visit because of their prior "red-shirt" status (and I don't think there is, someone correct me if I'm wrong), I think she should be allowed to accompany the team to Washington D.C., to be recognize by the President.

She was part of the team during all practices and team functions, and was at most of the team's away games as well as the all of tournament games (all of which she (her parents) had to pay her own way to) last year. She was very supportive (vocally) and was one of the first people on the bench to rush the court to "high five" the players coming off the court during timeouts.

I can understand not allowing the incoming freshmen to attend (as someone else mentioned, as they were NOT part of the team), but except for suiting up and taking the floor during games last year, Butler was a member of the team beginning her first day on Campus.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
John A still reports on WBB but usually only during the season. Off Season he only writes a few articles and tweets.

JA covers the Sun in the summer...but he did report the WH trip in the Courant this morning.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Unless there is a definite NCAA rule against a player (Butler) attending a WH visit because of their prior "red-shirt" status (and I don't think there is, someone correct me if I'm wrong), I think she should be allowed to accompany the team to Washington D.C., to be recognize by the President.

She was part of the team during all practices and team functions, and was at most of the team's away games as well as the all of tournament games (all of which she (her parents) had to pay her own way to) last year. She was very supportive (vocally) and was one of the first people on the bench to rush the court to "high five" the players coming off the court during timeouts.

I can understand not allowing the incoming freshmen to attend (as someone else mentioned, as they were NOT part of the team), but except for suiting up and taking the floor during games last year, Butler was a member of the team beginning her first day on Campus.
I don't think there is an NCAA rule defining what trips the team can take and who can come with them - except in terms of transfer students or recruits - within the US. If there is such a rule limiting where they can travel as a team, then I guess white house visits need a special clearance, but I know teams have done 'special retreat' team building trips quite frequently. (Uconn counts sessions with Rosie and Amanda and practice as their 'team building' trips!)

There are plenty of Uconn folks that make that trip each year that are not on the podium, so I could see the freshman being brought along for the experience, just not put on stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom