Which UConn Player Do You Wish You Had Seen Live | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Which UConn Player Do You Wish You Had Seen Live

Reaction Score
Walt Dropo as well. I grew up in Plainfield CT and the Dropos were the first family of our town. His brother George was our high school vice principal and bought me a UConn tie my freshmen year.

Would have liked to have seen The Moose play at Fenway when he was the 1950 AL Rookie of the Year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd pick Jimmy Foster. He was supposed to be electric with the ball.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Kemba. Our move to CO meant I never got to see him play live.

Reaction Score
He played for UConn? Damn, well put me down for that, cuz I somehow missed him.;)

Calhoun wrote in his book that he wanted to play college ball at UConn. But he bypassed college and went straight from high school to the NBA.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Calhoun wrote in his book that he wanted to play college ball at UConn. But he bypassed college and went straight from high school to the NBA.
That would have been epic.

Reaction Score
It would have to be someone legacy like Corny Thompson because I've seen everyone else the past 40 years.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I watched a head to head matchup of Corny vs. Sly Williams(Rhode Island) at the New Haven Coliseum. Corny won the battle by a hair.

Two very skilled players. Sly went on to play for the Knicks if I recall.
Sly did play for the Knicks (and kicked around for a few more years with other teams). He was the walking definition of million dollar talent with a two dollar head.

He lived in Stamford when he was a Knick and banked where my older brother worked. One day he walked in with a paycheck from the Knicks (many thousand dollars) and wants it in cash. He places a gun on the counter as the money is being counted out. The manager and security guard (this was ~1982, different world) told him he couldn't carry a gun in a bank. His response was that he wasn't going to carry that kind of cash without having a weapon. They ended up working out an arrangement where he would call ahead and a private transaction would occur when the Knicks gave him a paycheck. He always wanted to be paid in cash.

Reaction Score
I've seen most of them beginning with Tony Hansen (he played for Holy Cross in WTBY)

Bob Staak and Toby Kimball and Wes B--------ski I suppose would be my top 3
The first game I attended included Wes B and Toby Kimball. I still have the program. Quinby would have been nice to see.

Reaction Score
Nadav, for sure.
I had season tickets. Unique player in that he could heavily impact a game despite only averaging 11 points. Always seemed to be in the right place. One of many I've enjoyed watching since the days of Norman Bailey and Michael McKay.

I would liked to have seen Toby Kimball, Art Quimby and Walt Dropo play. Dropo played Baketball, Football and Baseball at UConn.

Reaction Score
I watched a head to head matchup of Corny vs. Sly Williams(Rhode Island) at the New Haven Coliseum. Corny won the battle by a hair.

Two very skilled players. Sly went on to play for the Knicks if I recall.
Lucky you to see that game!

Reaction Score
Ray Allen. Bit too young for him. Saw him with the Cs but never in a UConn jersey.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think I missed most of the 99 team. I was in CA. Last live game I saw before that was the KU game in KC.

Reaction Score

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Calhoun said it came directly from Garnett's mouth. Your disagreement is not with me, it's with JC.
Yeah it’s hard to believe JC on this one seeing as we weren’t even listed in his top group. Lol

Reaction Score
Happy Super Bowl Sunday! I was thinking about UConn players I wish I had seen live and decided to ask other Boneyarders the same question. For me, it’s Art Quimby. At 6’5”, three straight seasons averaging over 20 rebounds per game. In 1954-55, he averaged 23.2 points and 24.4 rebounds per game. Was anybody on the BY alive to see this incredible performance?
I was around but I didn't attend any games until many years later and UConn wasn't on TV, for all intents and purposes ... I heard of him and occasionally listened to WTIC for radio broadcasts but no, I didn't see the Huskies play until much later both live and on TV

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
It would have to be someone legacy like Corny Thompson because I've seen everyone else the past 40 years.
And I am old since I played against Corny in high school. Grown man among boys but still a gentle giant.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom