Which of the top 3 #1 seeds do we have the best chance of upsetting and making the Final Four | The Boneyard

Which of the top 3 #1 seeds do we have the best chance of upsetting and making the Final Four

Which #1 team do we have the best shot of upsetting in their region?

• South Carolina @ Greenville

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • Oregon @ Portland

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Baylor @ Dallas

Votes: 33 37.9%

• Total voters

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Assuming we do not get the miracle of landing in the Fort Wayne Region as an overall 4 or 5 and the top 3 remain and get the #1 seeds in their respective home courts, which team do we have the best shot of upsetting?

Reaction Score
This is a great thread. Now, box scores and stats can be misleading but if I were to tell you that we outscored SC in the paint would you be surprised? It wasn't so for either Oregon or Baylor where we were at a distinct deficit. My analysis is that our defense is much better on ball than it was one week ago or several weeks ago and that we have a better chance of stopping their offense from the outside now. In addition, Liv and Anna have improved although to say that Anna can be unreliable is indisputable. The same is true for Meg but all she has to be is consistent not great. SC is also a less experienced and younger team, unlike Baylor and especially Oregon. The Regionals are all set up to be home games for the top 3 teams anyway so I don't think it makes a difference in that regard. Oregon has "the" player and Baylor has Cox and are defending. I vote for SC.

Reaction Score
Baylor given that we lost in final five minutes. If Anna is hot and Liv, Crystal and Meg do their things we have a chance. If CW comes out of her funk and joins them we...well, have a chance against anyone. If Anna dishes and scores at her best game levels, we’re gold.

Reaction Score
My first choice would probably be South Carolina purely because depending on youth in crucial games can be a coin toss. Baylor would be my next choice because they've been played tough by teams like Texas Tech and TSU. Not bad teams, but not great teams either. Plus the game came down to the last 5 minutes before UConn got blown out by them. Oregon is probably the one I wouldn't want UConn to play because they just out-UConned UConn in their matchup. It just seemed like UConn had no answer for the pick-and-roll and couldn't keep Sabally and Hebard from doing what they wanted.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Going out on a limb here but my dream scenario (barring any bracket busting upsets) is UCONN avenging those 3 losses and beating Oregon, Baylor, and SC to win the NCAA championship. Doesnt have to be in no particular order :D

Reaction Score
My pick would be Baylor. They haven’t really been tested much this season, and they don’t have great depth like the other 2 schools.

Reaction Score
South Carolina if you can get Boston in foul trouble. Baylor if you can make Te’a Cooper and NaLyssa neutral. Oregon at the beginning of the season was finding their groove...at this point in the season....no way

Reaction Score
SC, they're young and have Beal/Boston playing crucial positions. Baylor and Oregon have better perimeter shooters too. Oregon is the last team I'd want to face.

Baylor has better perimeter shooting than who?......

Reaction Score
This is nice team that has tried their best. We do not power forwards, speed of guards, skilled shot makers and lastly no flow to offense. Enjoy the Best Coach in Basketball, Geno.

Reaction Score
Baylor is the least deep of those 3, that’s why they struggle to put away lesser opponents often.

Reaction Score
I love our girls but this team does not have the talent to beat any of the 3. They play hard and give it their best but in the end we are not top 3 in the country. May be next year.

Reaction Score
Connecticut is going to have to play way better than they have to have a shot against any of the three. I would prefer to be in South Carolina's bracket, though, because I think they have a (very slightly) better chance of being upset before the Elite 8, compared to Baylor (statistically the best team in the country) or Oregon (the most talented team in the country).

Reaction Score
Of the choices offered in the poll, I select Baylor, primarily on historic grounds. If Mulkey has exhibited a weakness among her many championship-caliber teams, it’s been the difficulty getting across the Regional finish line to the Final Four (where she has had remarkable success, winning the Natty 3 out of the 4 trips Baylor has made). In the last 10 years Baylor has reached the Regional Final 8 times, winning just 3 (at one point losing 4 Elite 8’s in a row). Interestingly, Baylor has never won a Dallas regional (two trips – both as 1 seeds). If we add Oklahoma City to that mix (3 trips – twice as the 1 seed) they’ve never won a “local” regional in 5 attempts.*

If UConn doesn't get the Fort Wayne bid, I’m hoping for the Dallas Regional and Baylor.

*[Edit: Mulkey's Bears were also in the Norman, OK Regional as the 4-seed in 2004, the year before Baylor's 1st Nat'l title. They lost the regional-semi to Tennessee.]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love our girls but this team does not have the talent to beat any of the 3. They play hard and give it their best but in the end we are not top 3 in the country. May be next year.
I beg to differ. Admittedly, we are clearly the underdog in all three games but that does not mean we cannot win! We just need a few things to go our way and for our best players to actually show up! If we play well and get a few rolls, I promise you, we could beat any one of them.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Baylor has better perimeter shooting than who?......

South Carolina. Landrum and Cooper are shooting 42-44% from the outside so you cant cheat off of them. SC has good shooters but all are under 40% with the exception of MHH, but she has only hit 17 all year. I'd rather cheat off of their 3pt shooters than let Cooper/Landrum get clean looks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom