Which of the "newbies" will be the biggest surprise? | The Boneyard

Which of the "newbies" will be the biggest surprise?

Which "freshman" will be the biggest pleasant surprise this coming season?

• Ice Brady

• Jana El Alfy

• Ashlynn Shade

• KK Arnold

• Qadence Samuels

Results are only viewable after voting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not talking about who will get the most PT, or contribute the most, but based on expectations, who do you think will be the biggest pleasant surprise this season? I'm including Ice even tho she's not technically part of this freshman class - but given that she was injured all of last year, she's a true newbie too!

It's almost impossible to come to UCONN and not be hyped. I know expectations are high for this team, and for all the new players as well. We've heard pretty much universal rave reviews, and official practices haven't even started yet.

For me, I voted for Qadence. For a kid ranked outside the top 40 for the most part, I've been surprised that she's such a good shooter. I have a feeling that her ability to make shots, and her willingness to tke them, will earn her more than mop up minutes, which is what I thought she might be getting when she signed... GO UCONN!

Reaction Score
Surprise compared to how good we expected them to be could be any of them. In terms of impact I am going with Jana, but Ice is more like 1B. I don't expect any of the smaller freshmen to have a major role, but they can be impact-full in the minutes they get. The two bigs on the other hand have a golden opportunity this year because they play a position of need. If they are even close to expectations they will both get significant minutes.

I hope we not only get a starter at the 5 from the two freshmen, but also the principle backup as well. Most fans on the Boneyard of course are pretty familiar with Jana, but many more casual Uconn fans are probably not, so as a foreign player I think she will be the biggest surprise.

Reaction Score
I'm not talking about who will get the most PT, or contribute the most, but based on expectations, who do you think will be the biggest pleasant surprise this season? I'm including Ice even tho she's not technically part of this freshman class - but given that she was injured all of last year, she's a true newbie too!

It's almost impossible to come to UCONN and not be hyped. I know expectations are high for this team, and for all the new players as well. We've heard pretty much universal rave reviews, and official practices haven't even started yet.

For me, I voted for Qadence. For a kid ranked outside the top 40 for the most part, I've been surprised that she's such a good shooter. I have a feeling that her ability to make shots, and her willingness to tke them, will earn her more than mop up minutes, which is what I thought she might be getting when she signed... GO UCONN!
I totally agree Qadence seems like the kid who was the throw-in in the trade that turns out to be the best of the lot. From the beginning, I've said she reminds me of Aubrey being long and athletic and now the word coming out is that she's a shooter with a jump shot. I Geno has done it again recruiting his type of player who will contribute although not ranked that high ala a

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Ashlynn. Just a gut feeling she is going to be a major pain for opponents. The latest from UConn Blog is she is a lot like one of our favs, Shea Ralph. She gets to her spots and hits her shots. She can board and her engine is always going 110%.

Reaction Score
Based on the question, I went with Shade. She's been under the radar. I feel like KK has gotten more attention and a lot of people haven't yet distinguished Shade from Zeibel in their minds yet. I think Ice will be most impactful. I'm thinking she ends up being something like if Morgan Tuck and Pheesa were somehow merged....

Reaction Score
They will all surprise us in one way or another, but I think the surprise Jana brings will be the most pleasant. We've been so worried on the BY about having a strong presence on the front line. If Jana turns out to be that presence, so many of our anxieties will be relieved.

Reaction Score
After receiving the four freshmen's letters, Geno gave a brief comment on each player and he stated that Qadence may be the most gifted of the four. But I would imagine that it will be determined by the player that offers skills in an area of need. If a big is needed, it could be Ice or Jana. If a guard or wing it could be one of the other three. Last couple of years the freshman have noticeably passed up open shots to defer to their older teammates. So there is a big advantage if one of the freshmen is looking for her shot and having the confidence to take it. Never saw Rebecca, Shea, Diana, Sue, Maya, Breanna, Paige, Azzi or any of our other prior All Americans show a lack of confidence in taking an open shot.

Reaction Score
I picked Shade. First off, the name. That speaks volumes right there. Secondly, her midrange game, her handles, & her high basketball IQ, are going to be what stands out the most and will be a huge surprise for many people.

Reaction Score
I picked Jana, mainly because of her father. Since she was little she has been groomed to be a dynamic BB player and playing over seas in foreign country is a very good training ground and her height helps a lot. I read where she may have grown another inch, 6' 5" .Overseas the game is more physical and body bumping. I know the retort that overseas the game is slower and Jana will have to adapt' but with her previous guidance from her father she will, easily. My second choice will be Ashlynn, because she has been working her short life for one goal, and that is to play for UCONN HUSKIES, and she will deliver. Ashlynn is the most dedicated player that she is because she only wanted to play for UCONN and considered no other school. But as I stated before, I believe they will ALL excel. GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
Geno's comments about Jana was my reason for voting for her. If not her then Ice as I think there is more opportunity for front court contributions. Geno's comments about Ice last year gave me high hopes for her, but her injury from last year may delay her contributions

Reaction Score
I am a newbie myself to this board so this is a fitting thread to comment in :)

I voted for Jana because I think the bigs might get more opportunities than the guards to make an immediate impact. Not that I think the young guards won’t have any chance to make an impact, but I think the return of Paige and Azzi together will be the main story in the backcourt.

And since the prompt said “based on expectations” I picked Jana because I feel like expectations for Ice are maybe higher, there’s rightfully a lot of hype around her.

Reaction Score
Qadence. Her athleticism and knock down shooting will help her standout fast

Reaction Score
Biggest surprise will be the kid(s) flying the most under the radar. IMO that's either Shade or Q. I tossed a coin and took Shade.

sun

Reaction Score
KK has too many ants in her pants to remain on the bench for very long.
I believe that she has an extra gear, will display special chemistry & unique talents sooner rather than later.
With Geno's help she'll burn up enough hardwood to win the Big East WBB Rookie of the Year Award.
924784.gif

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I would vote for ICE if the question was "who would contribute the most". I think Jana will be very effective, but
again, not the biggest surprise. I chose Ashlynn because I believe her skill set, conditioning, and enthusiasm is, or at
least was until recently, underappreciated. They are all GREAT.

Reaction Score
I chose Shade.

I think that Jana and Ice will have the biggest impact of all of the poll candidates, but their performances won’t be as much of a surprise as Shade’s. Ice spent last season observing the team from the bench. Jana has been working out with the team since January, and Geno recently described her as “exceptionally talented.” So I’m expecting both Jana and Ice to have great seasons.

I believe that Ashlynn Shade has been under the radar. Chris Dailey compared her to Shea Ralph. If Ashlynn is 70% as good as a healthy Shea, she’ll be a very pleasant surprise.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom