Which 2015 Rule Change will have the biggest impact (+ or -) and why? | The Boneyard

Which 2015 Rule Change will have the biggest impact (+ or -) and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
NCAA has implemented 5 R ules changes for this season.
1) Four 10-minute quarters
2) Two free throws on the fifth team foul in each quarter ( No more One & One)
3) Advance ball to front court in the last 59.9 seconds & overtime
4) 10-second back court exceptions no reset for deflections, held balls. or technical fouls
5) Use of forearm by post defender

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...basketball-adopts-new-rules-including-four-10

IMO # 5 will have the biggest negative impact because post play across the women's basketball is already fairly poor. If the defense is allowed to use a forearm to defend I think you might see more coaches abandon post play all together. Think how unusual it is to have a player with a complete back to the basket game like Tuck or Turner. These players are a dying breed anyway and this rule change might be the death nail for back to basket player who will be replaced face up & stretch 4 /5.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'll say the four minute quarters and resulting changes to time outs and foul count (reset for each quarter) will have the most effect because it is true regardless of competition and score.
Changes 2-4 will only effect a few games where scores are close, teams apply serious pressure, or you have a foul fest with mediocre foul shooters.
The forearm for a defender will certainly change the defense in the post, but I don't see it as a serious advantage. good post defenders still depend on a lot of help against good post offensive players. Technique will change a little and fewer will be called, but it was already very physical in there.

Reaction Score
It seemed the rule change for post defense mostly reflects what was already allowed by the officials. Will be interesting to see if there really is a difference in post defense.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
NCAA has implemented 5 R ules changes for this season.
1) Four 10-minute quarters
2) Two free throws on the fifth team foul in each quarter ( No more One & One)
3) Advance ball to front court in the last 59.9 seconds & overtime
4) 10-second back court exceptions no reset for deflections, held balls. or technical fouls
5) Use of forearm by post defender

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...basketball-adopts-new-rules-including-four-10

IMO # 5 will have the biggest negative impact because post play across the women's basketball is already fairly poor. If the defense is allowed to use a forearm to defend I think you might see more coaches abandon post play all together. Think how unusual it is to have a player with a complete back to the basket game like Tuck or Turner. These players are a dying breed anyway and this rule change might be the death nail for back to basket player who will be replaced face up & stretch 4 /5.

I'd say number 2. One and ones have a unique situation where a missed free throw could get an opponent back in the game. It was essentially a turnover if missed, and built pressure on the winning team to produce on the first shot. Without it, I think it'll be potentially more difficult to see comebacks in basketball. A good parallel to this is when volleyball ditched side out for rally scoring. It won't affect the game nearly as much as that changed volleyball, but it will make it more difficult for the losing team to come back.

Reaction Score
The new rules as a group will place a premium on stamina and conditioning. They will reward teams that play solid D without fouling. These are all traditional strengths of UConn WBB. Geno has built a team with tons of length, lots of speed and high IQ. Once all the newbies prove they can play good D you can see him subbing in groups playing the game in intense 4-5 minute segments.

I believe the 10 sec. rule will be great for us and we will cause misery for confereence foes in particular.

Reaction Score
The ability to advance the ball in the last minute of the game will create a lot more excitement in games that are decided in the last seconds.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
In the end, these bring the rules closer to the W.

If you think about it, the introduction of the 10 second back-court in the last year or two didn't have the huge effect predicted. So those tweaks to the rule probably won't either, although it will change some strategy, I suspect.

Likewise, strategy at the end of the game will be altered, possibly raise excitement a bit, but I doubt will hugely affect outcomes.

The elimination of the 1 and 1 is to my mind the most significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom