Where will UConn be ranked tomorrow? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where will UConn be ranked tomorrow?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Not sure they can pass anybody but VT and Texas perhaps, unless Stanford really gets dumped and you know how they love Stanford, so I'd say #11 but the intermediate range objective is just to position for a #2 seed with a win over ND
I think Baylor falls out of the top 10 and behind UConn. I can see LSU even falling behind UConn too. I think Stanford stays around where it is since going 1-1 on a road swing to Utah and CO is pretty decent. TX won't be too penalized for losing on road to Kansas St but could also see them taking a tumble.

The issue last week was everyone in front of UConn in rankings (minus VA Tech who just upset NC st) had either 0 or 1 losses while UConn had three (and no wins over the teams ranked ahead of them). But now that other teams are getting more losses, expect Uconn to steadily climb back up.

Reaction Score
UCONN at #10. The four Pac12 teams stay in the Top 10, along with Iowa, NC State, Texas, So. Carolina, and Kansas State.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While I love our Forum's passion (including @EricLA) for our team, many seem to be ignoring point totals that actual matter. Voters do not start from scratch each week, they look at last weeks ranking and move up or down.

Let's use Stanford for an example who was #8 last week with 637 points (150 more than UConn from the 35 voters). Stanford went 1-1 this week winning at #19 Utah but losing at #5 Colorado. The Voters are not going to penalize Stanford enough to fall below UConn. Add in that #7 LSU went 1-1, Baylor went 0-2 and UCLA lost to #9 USC. My guess is Stanford may actual move up a slot to #7 ahead of LSU and Baylor and right ahead of Kansas State. We will stay behind Kansas State. UConn will break the top 10 but just barely.

Even Baylor who lost to 2 unranked teams will not drop all the way to 15 as the voters have had 16 games this year to evaluate them. My guess is they fall to #11. When we lost to NC State, who was unranked at that time, was severely penalizing because there was no "body of work" to balance the context of the loss. In other words, teams can jump up and down by more slots early in the season but only smaller amounts later.

My guess is this:
#1 SC
#2 Iowa
#3 Colorado
#4 UCLA
#5 NC State
#6 USC
#7 Stanford
#8 Kansas State
#9 UConn
#10 LSU
#11 Baylor
#12 Texas
#13 Virginia Tech
#14 Louisville
#15 Gonzaga
#16 Indiana
#17 Florida State
#18 Ohio State
#19 Notre Dame
#20 Utah
#21 Creighton
#22 Marquette
#23 UNLV
#24 Oregon State
#25 North Carolina

Reaction Score
While I love our Forum's passion (including @EricLA) for our team, many seem to be ignoring point totals that actual matter. Voters do not start from scratch each week, they look at last weeks ranking and move up or down.

Let's use Stanford for an example who was #8 last week with 637 points (150 more than UConn from the 35 voters). Stanford went 1-1 this week winning at #19 Utah but losing at #5 Colorado. The Voters are not going to penalize Stanford enough to fall below UConn. Add in that #7 LSU went 1-1, Baylor went 0-2 and UCLA lost to #9 USC. My guess is Stanford may actual move up a slot to #7 ahead of LSU and Baylor and right ahead of Kansas State. We will stay behind Kansas State. UConn will break the top 10 but just barely.

Even Baylor who lost to 2 unranked teams will not drop all the way to 15 as the voters have had 16 games this year to evaluate them. My guess is they fall to #11. When we lost to NC State, who was unranked at that time, was severely penalizing because there was no "body of work" to balance the context of the loss. In other words, teams can jump up and down by more slots early in the season but only smaller amounts later.

My guess is this:
#1 SC
#2 Iowa
#3 Colorado
#4 UCLA
#5 NC State
#6 USC
#7 Stanford
#8 Kansas State
#9 UConn
#10 LSU
#11 Baylor
#12 Texas
#13 Virginia Tech
#14 Louisville
#15 Gonzaga
#16 Indiana
#17 Florida State
#18 Ohio State
#19 Notre Dame
#20 Utah
#21 Creighton
#22 Marquette
#23 UNLV
#24 Oregon State
#25 North Carolina
DefenseBB- - -#4 UCLA lost to #6 USC!
Maybe switch places!

Reaction Score

My guess is this:
#1 SC
#2 Iowa
#3 Colorado
#4 UCLA
#5 NC State
#6 USC
#7 Stanford
#8 Kansas State
#9 UConn
#10 LSU
#11 Baylor
#12 Texas
#13 Virginia Tech
#14 Louisville
#15 Gonzaga
#16 Indiana
#17 Florida State
#18 Ohio State
#19 Notre Dame
#20 Utah
#21 Creighton
#22 Marquette
#23 UNLV
#24 Oregon State
#25 North Carolina
Seeing this I think UConn lands at 11. I don’t see voters putting them a head of Stanford, LSU, Baylor or Kansas st. Not sure they’ll put us behind a Texas team we lost to either so maybe we stay at 12, actually.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm guessing that UConn will be between 8th and 11th, most likely about #10.

Reaction Score

My guess is this:
#1 SC
#2 Iowa
#3 Colorado
#4 UCLA
#5 NC State
#6 USC
#7 Stanford
#8 Kansas State
#9 UConn
#10 LSU
#11 Baylor
#12 Texas
#13 Virginia Tech
#14 Louisville
#15 Gonzaga
#16 Indiana
#17 Florida State
#18 Ohio State
#19 Notre Dame
#20 Utah
#21 Creighton
#22 Marquette
#23 UNLV
#24 Oregon State
#25 North Carolina
Looks good to me except I think Iowa State will get ranked over Oregon State. I think Oregon State will be the first team outside the pool (aka #26).

This is my top 25 (not what I think the poll will be)
  1. South Carolina (15-0)
  2. Iowa (16-1)
  3. UCLA (14-1)
  4. Colorado (15-1)
  5. USC (13-1)
  6. NC State (15-1)
  7. Kansas State (17-1)
  8. Stanford (15-2)
  9. UConn (14-3)
  10. LSU (16-2)
  11. Texas (16-2)
  12. Baylor (14-2)
  13. Gonzaga (16-2)
  14. Louisville (15-2)
  15. Virginia Tech (13-3)
  16. Indiana (14-2)
  17. Florida State (14-4)
  18. Ohio State (13-3)
  19. Notre Dame (12-3)
  20. Utah (12-5)
  21. North Carolina (12-5)
  22. Marquette (15-2)
  23. Iowa St. (12-4)
  24. Creighton (13-3)
  25. Green Bay (14-3)
  26. Teams outside the Top 25- Oregon St. (26) Syracuse (27) West Virginia (28) UNLV (29) Vanderbilt (30)
They’ll have UNLV in top 25, Gonzaga a little lower and maybe UCLA below Colorado. Regardless this was one of the most fun polls to do with all the upsets & ranked head to head matchups (the men’s poll will shake up too).

Reaction Score
Not a prediction of the AP but just a reflection on the event:

LSU lost to Auburn, who is equivalent to a middle of the pack team in the Big East. Auburn is probably not as good as Marquette or Creighton but better than Providence. Maybe about on the level of Villanova or SJU. Other than Colorado, it’s hard to place most of LSU’s opponents in terms of quality. This makes it difficult for the polls to rank LSU.

Where would LSU itself stand in the Big East? Near the top, I expect. So far they’ve played a weaker schedule than what they’d face in the Big East, but have mainly won decisively against opponents. They’d probably beat Marquette and Creighton, or at least split the series with them.

Reaction Score
UConn is now third in the Massey ratings, behind SC and Iowa. NET rankings come later today, where they are likely to be second or third.

Reaction Score
I, too, have thought about all those Division One losses. But I anticipate no respect, at
least not until we get the win over N.D. and find out the "real score" with the South Carolina game.
UCONN moves up to #12. My thoughts are on potential NCAA seedings and matchups. GO HUSKIES!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think Baylor falls out of the top 10 and behind UConn. I can see LSU even falling behind UConn too. I think Stanford stays around where it is since going 1-1 on a road swing to Utah and CO is pretty decent. TX won't be too penalized for losing on road to Kansas St but could also see them taking a tumble.

The issue last week was everyone in front of UConn in rankings (minus VA Tech who just upset NC st) had either 0 or 1 losses while UConn had three (and no wins over the teams ranked ahead of them). But now that other teams are getting more losses, expect Uconn to steadily climb back up.
Theoretically, shouldn’t the polls as of last week have accounted for previous losses in the current poll standings? I would think voters would start with the rank as of last week then look at the recent wins/losses rather then punish teams for what happened two months ago - again.

If they made me a voter that’s what I would do but since there are basically no rules for voting, people make up their own criteria. That’s why it’s hard to take the polls seriously

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Theoretically, shouldn’t the polls as of last week have accounted for previous losses in the current poll standings? I would think voters would start with the rank as of last week then look at the recent wins/losses rather then punish teams for what happened two months ago - again.

If they made me a voter that’s what I would do but since there are basically no rules for voting, people make up their own criteria. That’s why it’s hard to take the polls seriously
I think that's my point: Last week UConn ended up at #13, in large part because none of the teams in front of them gave voters a reason to penalize them.

If you look at last week's mens rankings, Memphis was ranked #13. The 12 teams in front of them had a total of 27 losses (and this was before nearly everyone lost this past week). Those rankings have been fluid. In fact, you had four teams with 3 losses in the top 10.

Meanwhile, on the women's side, the 12 teams in front of UConn had a combined 10 losses last week. As good as UConn has looked recently, their 3 losses (yes to top tier competition) still stood out, and I think it's harder for voters to penalize teams who haven't lost many (or any) games.

NOW however, losses are piling up. Resumes are coming more into focus. In short, are rankings silly? Sure. But I also think they will work themselves out by the time we get to March.

Reaction Score
The reason UConn is standing still in the rankings is the quality of the other teams in the Big East. No team ranked ahead of UConn would lose to any team in the Big East except UConn and all the other leagues have a reputation of better competition. With that said I think UConn will move up to number 10 this week and have two chances to make big jumps left on their schedule. They win one of them and they will end up a 2 seed, if they win both they will be a 1 seed.

LSU still isn't a good "team", but just a collection of good players. I don't see them changing this year so they will fall. Iowa is a lot like UConn in that they have a great player, some good role players and haven't had that game where they just don't match up with their opponent. The team to beat is South Carolina, then I would say UCLA and USC, Colorado has some good wins too. After them I think it is a toss up and UConn is certainly in that group with their current play.

Reaction Score
If I were a voter, I wouldn’t base my selections on the previous poll. That would merely reinforce the collective prejudices of the group. Instead I’d start from the NET and make adjustments from there on the basis of factors I think the NET missed, like injuries or personal growth. I’d try to reflect what each team had achieved up to that moment rather than estimate what they might yet accomplish.

Reaction Score
My top 10,
1. So Carolina
2. Iowa
3. Colorado
4. NC State
5. USC
6. NC State
7. Kansas State
8. UConn
9. Stanford
10. LSU

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The reason UConn is standing still in the rankings is the quality of the other teams in the Big East. No team ranked ahead of UConn would lose to any team in the Big East except UConn and all the other leagues have a reputation of better competition. With that said I think UConn will move up to number 10 this week and have two chances to make big jumps left on their schedule. They win one of them and they will end up a 2 seed, if they win both they will be a 1 seed.

LSU still isn't a good "team", but just a collection of good players. I don't see them changing this year so they will fall. Iowa is a lot like UConn in that they have a great player, some good role players and haven't had that game where they just don't match up with their opponent. The team to beat is South Carolina, then I would say UCLA and USC, Colorado has some good wins too. After them I think it is a toss up and UConn is certainly in that group with their current play.
You make the Big East sound like a mid-major

5D697AD3-47F4-49C5-A16C-B3C4116BC047.jpeg

Reaction Score
Always an interesting discussion that I enjoy reading. Doubt Geno cares where Huskies are ranked, particularly at this time of year. Would he take a few losses and a lower ranking early in the year if it better prepared the team for the playoffs? We all know the answer.

Reaction Score

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
This will work itself out, but the NET is confusing at the moment. South Carolina at #1 is all good, but then you have UCLA at #7, Nc State at #9, USC at #12, and somehow CO all the way at #15.

Meanwhile you have Utah all the way at #6; who have played a murders row schedule but also haven't beaten anyone of consequence.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
DefenseBB- - -#4 UCLA lost to #6 USC!
Maybe switch places!
and the week before UCLA beat USC to split the season series....And UCLA hass beaten a much better resume of teams. Also add in the fact that Lauren Betts was sick so.....I am keeping UCLA ahead of the Trojans

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom