• Elite 8

Votes: 21 14.4%
  • Sweet 16 or less

Votes: 113 77.4%
  • NIL? No, NIT!

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Time to put your money where your mouth is: pun definitely intended.

Arkansas is clearly becoming one of the poster children for NIL debauchery. Some of us seem scared. I ain't mad at ya, but how scared are you?

We realize that these kids aren't 4 year development guys so I don't buy the argument that the Razorbacks are rebuilding and trying to win in 3 years. They are trying to win NOW. Let's see how they do.

Reaction Score
They got themselves some players. Johnell Davis and Aidoo is a GREAT PG/C combination. Adou Thiero isn't a star but I like him as a scrappy role player, everyone could use a guy like him on their team. Big Z is a high potential backup C, who will probably make a leap next year

Three top 30 recruits as well, that's the Coach Cal effect.

But...will Davis and Aidoo be enough veteran leadership to make a run? What quality of player are they going to get for 1-2 other potential rotation spots? Will Cal sacrifice team success for getting Boogie Fland to the NBA ASAP like he did at Kentucky? Lots of questions on his coaching ability which were not answered at all last year

As of right now, I'm impressed but not worried. If he snags another impact player and another strong role player that can contribute while the freshmen get up to speed, then I'll get a little worried. But Cal has a lot to prove this year, I'm going Sweet 16 or less for now

Reaction Score
I’m confident Cals coaching can overcome his ability to recruit talent. Exhibit A, see Kentucky, University of….

But, it would be entertaining to go to the Uk board if he does win it sometime in the next 3-4 years.

Reaction Score
I think cal said he’s only recruiting 8 or 9 players from now on? I’m hoping/assuming he means total scholarship players because it’s not like was was playing his 10th through 13th guys at UK. That would be hilarious but Whatever he meant i can’t wait to see it fail.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think cal said he’s only recruiting 8 or 9 players from now on? I’m hoping/assuming he means total scholarship players because it’s not like was was playing his 10th through 13th guys at UK. That would be hilarious but Whatever he meant i can’t wait to see it fail.
I think that's a little exaggerated, but I do think this is the future. Danny has said he wont fill the last scholly, and he may not fill number 12 either.
Too many guys looking for minutes is a recipe for a bad locker room. Also you can allocate NIL money better between fewer players.
I think it's the right idea to have 10 or 11 on scholly, then back fill with walk ons.

Reaction Score
I think it is unfortunate that the results are "Sweet 16 or less" as if those results are the same. Sweet 16 would be a good run. Another first round exit less so.

The Elite 8 is a high bar (for teams that aren't UConn, of course).

I think Arkansas is going to have the advantage of not being Kentucky and not having all the pressure and national attention that goes along with being Kentucky (although there will be plenty of attention). Still, only so far that will carry them. So Sweet 16 for me.

Reaction Score
I think it is unfortunate that the results are "Sweet 16 or less" as if those results are the same. Sweet 16 would be a good run. Another first round exit less so.

The Elite 8 is a high bar (for teams that aren't UConn, of course).

I think Arkansas is going to have the advantage of not being Kentucky and not having all the pressure and national attention that goes along with being Kentucky (although there will be plenty of attention). Still, only so far that will carry them. So Sweet 16 for me.
I went back and forth on that poll choice myself. However, one of the reasons for this poll is to force us to consider how worried we are about our position in the NIL era.
Too often, I hear that the big money teams will price us out of competition, but when asked to give odds on the biggest NIL team winning it all, nobody seems to bite - even more so, we still talk realistically about #7 next year.

I really wanted the poll choices to be simpler:
Arkansas- win it all? Or not?

Reaction Score
I think they'll have a fine season, vaguely in contention but far from one of the favorites, like a lower #3 through upper #6 seed, ranked in the 10-20 range. They'll either win or lose a coin flip 2nd round game, but get no further than the Sweet 16.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
roster continuity matters & they have none, lots of talent but they have tons to catch up with playing as a team. If they get it together by the end of the season they could be dangerous.

Reaction Score
I went back and forth on that poll choice myself. However, one of the reasons for this poll is to force us to consider how worried we are about our position in the NIL era.
Too often, I hear that the big money teams will price us out of competition, but when asked to give odds on the biggest NIL team winning it all, nobody seems to bite - even more so, we still talk realistically about #7 next year.

I really wanted the poll choices to be simpler:
Arkansas- win it all? Or not?
Sorry - I wasn't trying to be critical. I am a "second week" guesser. I think that is a good result.

As far as NIL and such, keep in mind this happened late (like Pitino last year). I expect them to be a larger "problem" down the road (like Pitino next year and on).

Arkansas isn't Kentucky - but it also isn't Memphis. Let's see if he learned any lessons on roster construction.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Second weekend team. Cal is a good coach. His problem at Kentucky was relying on kids (freshmen) playing a grown man's game (seniors and 5th year seniors). He seems to have learned his lesson with these transfer portal pickups.

Reaction Score
They will be farther along than Kentucky and Kentucky fans will be livid. You can't look at Arkansas without also looking at Kentucky in the process.

I think Cal will be fine at Arkansas and even go far in the tournament. A change of scenery will do him well, but it's hard to root the guy.

Reaction Score
I hope they finish above Kentucky. That would be hilarious. Also highly probable.
I want that, too. I don't wish ill or wish well for Calipari, but I do hope Arkansas finishes above Kentucky and sweeps their regular season match up. Him going back to Rupp Arena will be like Cooley going back to the AMP in Providence.

Reaction Score
I want that, too. I don't wish ill or wish well for Calipari, but I do hope Arkansas finishes above Kentucky and sweeps their regular season match up. Him going back to Rupp Arena will be like Cooley going back to the AMP in Providence.
Will be interesting to see how Calipari will be received but remember that most Kentucky fans wanted Calipari gone which is why Kentucky let him leave without penalty (he was under contract). PC fans didn't want Cooley to leave.

Reaction Score
Cal has been turning top 3 (if not top 1) talent into mid-teens teams for years and now he has a mid-teen talent team and they should be grateful with a single NCAAT victory. There is a lot of potential for the season to go off the rails.

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see how Calipari will be received but remember that most Kentucky fans wanted Calipari gone which is why Kentucky let him leave without penalty (he was under contract). PC fans didn't want Cooley to leave.
Very true they wanted Calipari gone. But I wonder if they have the same amount of venom towards him, although a different kind of venom, as PC fans had for Cooley. Kentucky fans hate Calipari and think he wronged him for severely underperforming while getting paid so much money. PC fans think Cooley wronged him for the myriad of reasons listed ad nauseum by PC fans that have posted on this forum.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
They got themselves some players. Johnell Davis and Aidoo is a GREAT PG/C combination. Adou Thiero isn't a star but I like him as a scrappy role player, everyone could use a guy like him on their team. Big Z is a high potential backup C, who will probably make a leap next year

Three top 30 recruits as well, that's the Coach Cal effect.

But...will Davis and Aidoo be enough veteran leadership to make a run? What quality of player are they going to get for 1-2 other potential rotation spots? Will Cal sacrifice team success for getting Boogie Fland to the NBA ASAP like he did at Kentucky? Lots of questions on his coaching ability which were not answered at all last year

As of right now, I'm impressed but not worried. If he snags another impact player and another strong role player that can contribute while the freshmen get up to speed, then I'll get a little worried. But Cal has a lot to prove this year, I'm going Sweet 16 or less for now
Looking at the individual stats is fun but how they mix as a team is not fun it’s hard work so we shall see. cal is a shi$$ty coach so my money goes with meh

Reaction Score
Looking at the individual stats is fun but how they mix as a team is not fun it’s hard work so we shall see. cal is a shi$$ty coach so my money goes with meh
And that is why UConn has the best coaching staff in the country in Hurley, Young, Murray, and Moore. They don't just look at the basic stats, but they look at more intricate metrics. I know other coaching staffs do this as well, but UConn's staff more importantly they combine the deep dive into data within the context of how the players will fit together in terms of their strengths and weaknesses. From that they design plays that fit the personnel.

Reaction Score
I'm not really sure how one confidently predicts much in this era of ncaa basketball. Too much turnover. Who knows what a team is going to play like next year.

Based on the past 5 or 6 years of Cal's resume the best prediction I can make is a first weekend exit. I don't think Cal's issues are lack of recruits or even youth... He's rich and lazy. He doesn't put in the work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom