Where things stand | The Boneyard

Where things stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I talked to my Big 10 contact last week.
  • The trigger for the next round of activity will be Maryland's buyout settlement with the ACC. If the numbers work, expect Georgia Tech and perhaps UNC to move after that. Although, some in NC would prefer the SEC.
  • Of course the above could open the door to UConn to the ACC, however Herbst apparently pissed of ND President when she apparently lectured him at her first Big East Meeting when she should have kept her mouth shut and listened. This is not meant to be a gender comment - just a new person on a job comment.
  • Warde is not a factor one way or another.
  • My feel is BC still doesn't like us nor does Miami, nor does ND, and then you have a bunch of Football rules schools and thanks to Coach P - we don't do well with them. Therefore Cincy might go before us but if NC also left we might get an invitation by default.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Because ND has never pissed off anyone.

I'm not sure what is worse, the horrible business acumen of the leaders of these conferences or the junior high school social construct they apparently follow.

It's as if the networks are dealing with the sports equivalent of the Beverly Hillbillies who just happened to find a billion dollar asset buried on their land.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I find that Warde not being a factor believable.

That's the most believable part.

The Maryland settlement being the trigger is the key that people need to be reminded of.

Herbst pissing off ND probably isn't a factor either.

Reaction Score
Encouraging to know we are a fringe qualifier for BCS that no one likes. When you're in these spots, positive politicking with those that matter is probably the way to go. At this point, it's hard not to think that we are likely 2nd in line for the ACC.

As for Notre Dame, when you're a school that any league would kill to have, you can piss people off a little along the way.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Notre Dame's prez can pee on the buffet at the conference luncheon and no one can say a thing about it.

The rest of us have to be more reserved.

Reaction Score
  • The trigger for the next round of activity will be Maryland's buyout settlement with the ACC. If the numbers work, expect Georgia Tech and perhaps UNC to move after that. Although, some in NC would prefer the SEC.
  • Of course the above could open the door to UConn to the ACC, however Herbst apparently pissed of ND President when she apparently lectured him at her first Big East Meeting when she should have kept her mouth shut and listened. This is not meant to be a gender comment - just a new person on a job comment.
  • My feel is BC still doesn't like us nor does Miami, nor does ND, and then you have a bunch of Football rules schools and thanks to Coach P - we don't do well with them. Therefore Cincy might go before us but if NC also left we might get an invitation by default.

How do we manage to piss so many people off? Man do we nee a PR campaign.

Reaction Score
I'll believe it when I see it. If it does happen, then the acc will be picked apart by the sec and 12. We don't have to worry about cincy, or anyone else for that matter. The acc will have more holes than swiss cheese, even temple might be added if the doomsday scenario comes to fruition.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
How do we manage to piss so many people off? Man do we nee a PR campaign.

I think to impress these AD's and Conference guys requires something analogous to the first 10 minutes of Charlie Wilson's War.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

C

Chief00

We have a higher self image of ourselves than others have of us. We also are perceived of being arrogant and we don't persuade folks with our arguments. It would be of interest to learn if Herbst has learned some lessons in her tenure or if she still just doesn't get it. ...The new peer lecturing all the existing presidents rightly or wrongly doesn't win friends in the Presidents Club. Nor would it in most businesses.

Now these other guys are not without blame turning down the TV deal at the urging of the Pitt President probably so the exit fee wouldn't increase, since he may have known he was ACC bound at the time?

pj

Reaction Score
Now these other guys are not without blame turning down the TV deal at the urging of the Pitt President probably so the exit fee wouldn't increase, since he may have known he was ACC bound at the time?

The schools who voted down the deal have gone from $10 mn/yr in the rejected deal to $17-20 mn/yr in their new ACC and B12 deals. Whatever their logic, it worked out well for them.

Reaction Score
I'm always skeptical when people talk about what their "contacts" say.

Tell us why you believe this person and how high up the food chain is this person? An R.A. at Northwestern who gave you a call after smoking some quality ? Has this contact proven correct in the past?

I need to know some little stuff before taking contact info seriously.

Reaction Score
We have a higher self image of ourselves than others have of us. We also are perceived of being arrogant and we don't persuade folks with our arguments. It would be of interest to learn if Herbst has learned some lessons in her tenure or if she still just doesn't get it. ...The new peer lecturing all the existing presidents rightly or wrongly doesn't win friends in the Presidents Club. Nor would it in most businesses.

Did you ever read Tranghese's rendition? He presents UConn as peacemaker and facilitator.

pj

Reaction Score
I'm always skeptical when people talk about what their "contacts" say.

Tell us why you believe this person and how high up the food chain is this person? An R.A. at Northwestern who gave you a call after smoking some quality ? Has this contact proven correct in the past?

I need to know some little stuff before taking contact info seriously.

Isn't it obvious? It's a B1G person who knows the inside scoop on what the ACC and ND are thinking, but has nothing to say about the B1G. It must be someone in their espionage office.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
So to summarize, your B1G contact has inside info on a Big East meeting where our president pissed off the ND president?

Reaction Score
[*]Of course the above could open the door to UConn to the ACC, however Herbst apparently pissed of ND President when she apparently lectured him at her first Big East Meeting when she should have kept her mouth shut and listened. This is not meant to be a gender comment - just a new person on a job comment.
He's supposed to be forgiving. What happened?

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Listen if the above happens and the ACC loses three teams then though I have said Cincy is first, then Uconn would have to follow. I just don't see us being left out after the movements... problem is ACC would be torn apart if those three leave since the other three (FLSt., Clemson and Va Tech are gone also)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Bummer.

Reaction Score
Listen if the above happens and the ACC loses three teams then though I have said Cincy is first, then Uconn would have to follow. I just don't see us being left out after the movements... problem is ACC would be torn apart if those three leave since the other three (FLSt., Clemson and Va Tech are gone also)
I wouldn't worry about this. The ACC is a "Power 5" conference per the rules of the new BCS. That wouldn't go away. You get in there, and you live to fight another day at a later date.

Reaction Score
That's the most believable part.

The Maryland settlement being the trigger is the key that people need to be reminded of.

Herbst pissing off ND probably isn't a factor either.
I've been told by the CR Authority that the settlement is irrelevant to conference realignment. a red-herring if you will.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not sure why anyone would think the Maryland lawsuit is a mitigating factor.

Even if a school has to pay the full $50M, the difference between what the B1G and ACC will be making in revenue from now until the foreseeable is substantial enough that even $50M wouldn't stop a team from leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom