Where is Shabazz on the Pantheon? | The Boneyard

Where is Shabazz on the Pantheon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seriously. Between his performance tonight and his standing tall for this program, it's an interesting question.

Reaction Score
It was pretty impressive. I still give Kemba the slight edge in it all, but Shabazz will always be remembered as one of the greats.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Need to think about it. Kemba's 11 game run was a thing of beauty, but Bazz is a two championship Husky (along with Giffey and Olander.)

Reaction Score
Definitely need to think about it, but considering #1.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
UCHuskies08 said:
agreed. Bookending titles with staying and saving the program? There may never be someone more important to the uconn basketball. Though I consider everyone who ever played important.

Reaction Score
Honestly think he just needs to co-occupy whatever spot kemba holds in everyone's personal rankings. The parallels and their performances in their respective title years are just amazing.

I don't think enough people realize the trouble we would have been if shabazz and boat didn't stay, he might have saved this program (I'm going to leave it up to the imagination how we might have done). That alone makes me consider putting him near the all time top.

I love kemba and he was amazing I just don't know at this point. But I DO know that bazz was instrumental to this program and that earns alot of points from me, if hes top 3 AT LEAST if not top 2 in my books.

Reaction Score
Tommyboy post: 923637 said:
agreed. Bookending titles with staying and saving the program? There may never be someone more important to the uconn basketball. Though I consider everyone who ever played important.

I'd argue kemba getting calhoun his 3rd NC and really, truly cementing calhoun among that top 4-5 coaches of all time is just as important. I'd rather have Calhoun be in the class of knight, smith, etc than any argument that pitino, boeheim, etc were as good.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
PcketknfNiels said:
I'd argue kemba getting calhoun his 3rd NC and really, truly cementing calhoun among that top 4-5 coaches of all time is just as important. I'd rather have Calhoun be in the class of knight, smith, etc than any argument that pitino, boeheim, etc were as good.

It's an awesome discussion to have isn't it?

Reaction Score
The thing about the bookends is the first doesn't happen without Kemba.

That said.

1) Shabazz
1) Kemba
1) Rip
1) Emeka

Why do we need to rank them in some arbitrary order? They're all Huskies. They're all family. They're all champions. They're all legends.

Reaction Score
I don't think enough people realize the trouble we would have been if shabazz and boat didn't stay, he might have saved this program (I'm going to leave it up to the imagination how we might have done). That alone makes me consider putting him near the all time top.

I love kemba and he was amazing I just don't know at this point. But I DO know that bazz was instrumental to this program and that earns alot of points from me, if hes top 3 AT LEAST if not top 2 in my books.

Great thing is that we have enough options to debate a mt rushmore, that proves how great we are.

That being said, while we don't win tonight without the road we've taken (and trust me I LOVEEEE ollie) I don't think we'd have disappeared. We don't have as much historical cache but we still would've had 3 titles and the whole shaka smart wanting to come here thing. But honestly thinking about that, we won number 4 and both bazz and ollie have established themselves as something truly special.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I can't think straight yet. But Rushmore for sure.

Reaction Score
It's an awesome discussion to have isn't it?

It's incredible. I'm 25 and the first year I really started following sports with any kind of knowledge as to what's going on (uconn, redsox, pats) was 1999. It's to the point where I almost feel bad I couldn't be there for the times before that, like I'm getting all the rewards without paying my dues.

Reaction Score
I love the class & respectfulness of this thread! But think of it this way................who in their right mind would have thought we would be debating this (discussing it). I thought Kemba could never ever be topped.............but Shabazz is a very worthy candidate. Surreal..............totally

Reaction Score
Great thing is that we have enough options to debate a mt rushmore, that proves how great we are.

That being said, while we don't win tonight without the road we've taken (and trust me I LOVEEEE ollie) I don't think we'd have disappeared. We don't have as much historical cache but we still would've had 3 titles and the whole shaka smart wanting to come here thing. But honestly thinking about that, we won number 4 and both bazz and ollie have established themselves as something truly special.

Exactly, I'm not saying we would have fallen off or anything like that (Ollie would have still been Ollie) but we would not have been as stable as a power as we are right now, with this win we secured recruits to reload for more national championships to come. Really don't think that can be over looked as a part of bazz's legacy

Reaction Score
Let's face it................there is pixie dust in the CT State Ag Dept ice cream store milk shakes!

Reaction Score
I think that Kemba and perhaps Rip and Emeka were better at their peak, but Shabazz has had the best career of any UConn player.

Reaction Score
It definitely can't be, but the signature players on every title team have their own claim toward building us as a truly elite, historically great program.

Even as soon as the sweet 16 I've been excited to see what we do with future recruiting between the kind of person ollie is and this accomplishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom