Where is our commissioner? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where is our commissioner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
St. John’s suffered because they pooped the bed in OOC (bad losses to BC and Michigan, no real quality wins). And then in the BE, their best wins outside of the Creighton win were against non-tournament or bubble teams. They should have been in, but I get it, especially since the committee didn’t think that highly of the BE outside of the top 3 and that’s where almost all of their wins came from.
St John’s got screwed period. They had better metrics in NET and KenPom than several teams that got at large bids.

Some ESPN guy last night said Virginia got in because of their wins over BC….

Last I checked St John’s was 25 in KenPom. Virginia was 69.
Not even close.

Reaction Score
100% agree. Our return to the conference that helped establish our legacy has this romanticizing factor. But we need to take a 10,000 foot view here. Big East is not about growth. It’s about trying to relive and recreate the past. The past is dead. It will never be the same 90’s battles. AND the Big East commish and officials are scared of the NCAA. The Big East has no leverage.

If we want to grow, get the best media deals (to help with NIL), and be part of the leagues that will have leverage w the NCAA, it’s time to move on.
Agree. I think the issue is that UConn is struggling to choose between The BIG or SEC. Both have made compelling offers. Obviously with those two conferences, you ignore The Big 12 calls.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The job of the commissioner in this day and age is to primarily to negotiate contracts for the conference. By far, the most important ones are the m ultimate-year TV deals. We’ll see how she does. But how loud she whines about committee decisions will have little to do with it.
So, you don't believe that playing in the NCAA tournament increases brand value? Only getting three teams in the NCAA tournament in year we negotiating our contract is not a good look at all.

Of course Ackerman should be out publicly talking about why this is a bad decision. She should absolutely cherry pick metrics and talk about how St. J's, Seton and (sigh) Providence were better choices. Commissioners routinely stand up for their members and market for their conferences. Why is that "whining" if Ackerman does it?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She’s the one who put the retiring Butler AD on the NCAA Selection Committtee, as a feather in his hat on the way out the door. He was basically MIA when all this stuff has been going down. She is a horrible commissioner and I have been saying that for a few years.
For what it's worth, take a look at the big east tournament championship award ceremonies. Did you notice that Danny was not next to her when she made her speech, did not take the trophy from her, or even look at her or acknowledge her? I thought it was odd at the time, but don't know if you can make more of it than that.

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. Val is a crappy commissioner because she doesn’t do a good enough job for her members, and proof of that is that when we entered the conference we got screwed (meaning that by definition her members got a good deal). LMAO.

Explain to me what, other than make you feel better, an angry press release attacking the committee is going to accomplish?

The job of the commissioner in this day and age is to primarily to negotiate contracts for the conference. By far, the most important ones are the m ultimate-year TV deals. We’ll see how she does. But how loud she whines about committee decisions will have little to do with it.
Val has been a disaster as a Commissioner. She put the retiring Butler AD on the committee as the Big East Representative not appreciating the importance of that position but giving him a little recognition going out the door. So he’s MIA while all this very easy to rebuke nonsense is going on and now she is on damage control.

Reaction Score
She’s useless.

Greg Sankey and Brett York basically spent last week threatening the makeup of the tournament and they got 14 at large bids. Phillips went nuts last year and this year he gets Virginia in the back door.

Meanwhile, Val’s off watching Netflix and failing on every single thing she has tried to do over the past year. Renegotiate the contract last March? Fail. Last summer? Fail. Fall? Fail. Winter? Fail. She keeps talking about it, but where is it?

She was jabbering about expansion way too publicly and then her only target said NFW and she’s left with her thumbs up her ass again.

Let her hand out trophies, but hire a killer to sit behind the big desk.
Exactly!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The BE obviously got screwed but I’m not buying a power conference or cbs affiliate scheme because the MW is a midmajor with a fox deal aren’t they? And they got 6 bids
Are they? How many teams are in the Pac next year? Two. They have a scheduling deal with the MWC and have two years to get to 8 teams. Then this will probably happen.

The contract, executed on Dec. 1, says that from the moment of its effective date, the schools will “negotiate in good faith the consummation, as promptly as reasonably practicable, of a definitive transaction pursuant to which all MWC Member Institutions join Pac-12 as Pac-12 member institutions with no MWC Exit Fee payable by any MWC Member Institution to MWC. The invitations, if made, would be effective as of the 2025-2026 NCAA season or the 2026-2027 NCAA season.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Is this who the conference members want to trust with a new tv contract looming?
First, regarding a new tv contract, it is past time for the BE to dump Fox (or really the Fox Sports Network which devotes more coverage to NASCAR and UFC than to collegiate basketball) and switch to ESPN or other.

Second, there are several reasons for the lack of teams in the field of 68 but it also indicates a first step to improvement would be a new, more forceful and impactful BE Commissioner.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Not to mention, the Big East was the only one on that Thursday in March of 2020 to actually tip-off a basketball game when COVID became a thing. Every other major conference + AAC cancelled their conference tournaments leading up to the games Thursday morning and the Big East still played a half of basketball before saying “whoops we’re out too!” and cancelled the Creighton/St John’s game at halftime

Reaction Score
St John’s got screwed period. They had better metrics in NET and KenPom than several teams that got at large bids.

Some ESPN guy last night said Virginia got in because of their wins over BC….

Last I checked St John’s was 25 in KenPom. Virginia was 69.
Not even close.
You guys are in love with metrics. St John’s was not a good team. Sorry. They won 6* in a row but they lost 8 of their previous 10. Plus lost to BC and Michigan. 2 of the six were against Georgetown. One was DePaul. Not exactly heaviest of lifts. The eye test matters. And I’m sure CBS desperately wanted Pitino in the tourney. Great human interest story. But at some point you need to beat somebody. Come on! At best the Johnnies were a bubble team. I didn’t even have them there. With 5 stolen bids they had zero chance.
* The NCAA has determined that DePaul does not contain basketball material.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. Val is a crappy commissioner because she doesn’t do a good enough job for her members, and proof of that is that when we entered the conference we got screwed (meaning that by definition her members got a good deal). LMAO.

Explain to me what, other than make you feel better, an angry press release attacking the committee is going to accomplish?

Her #1 job is to drive revenue for conference members. The BOHICA job that just happened will cost us NCAA credits, to the tune of a minimum of $2MM per snub. She should be camped on the headquarters lawn right now.

Reaction Score
Exactly!
There are several reasons that the lack of selection for more teams in the field of 68 means but as a first step Ackerman should announce her retirement to bring in a new, more widely and nationally known, more active and much more impactful commissioner to strongly represent the Big East and get it back on track. To do nothing and acquiesce to the obvious lack of respect being shown by the NCAA will be a huge mistake.

Reaction Score
Not to mention, the Big East was the only one on that Thursday in March of 2020 to actually tip-off a basketball game when COVID became a thing. Every other major conference + AAC cancelled their conference tournaments leading up to the games Thursday morning and the Big East still played a half of basketball before saying “whoops we’re out too!” and cancelled the Creighton/St John’s game at halftime
Please, let’s not turn this into a Covid discussion. WTF!?

Reaction Score
All the teams that have any chance to win the NCAA tourney are in the field. They generally get that right each year.

Reaction Score
So, you don't believe that playing in the NCAA tournament increases brand value? Only getting three teams in the NCAA tournament in year we negotiating our contract is not a good look at all.

Of course Ackerman should be out publicly talking about why this is a bad decision. She should absolutely cherry pick metrics and talk about how St. J's, Seton and (sigh) Providence were better choices. Commissioners routinely stand up for their members and market for their conferences. Why is that "whining" if Ackerman does it?
To be clear, I’m not saying she can’t or shouldn’t do it. I’m saying it’s of no use to anything other than making people outside the process feel better.

And come on — you know as well as I do I didn’t say it wouldn’t be better for the conference if one or two of our bubble teams had gotten it. It would have been and I would have been happier had it happened.

Reaction Score
You guys are in love with metrics. St John’s was not a good team. Sorry. They won 6* in a row but they lost 8 of their previous 10. Plus lost to BC and Michigan. 2 of the six were against Georgetown. One was DePaul. Not exactly heaviest of lifts. The eye test matters. And I’m sure CBS desperately wanted Pitino in the tourney. Great human interest story. But at some point you need to beat somebody. Come on! At best the Johnnies were a bubble team. I didn’t even have them there. With 5 stolen bids they had zero chance.
* The NCAA has determined that DePaul does not contain basketball material.
What no one seems to mention so far is the size of the fan bases of the majority of the BE teams compared to many of the large schools (not the auto bids) that got the nod for one of the 68. Comparing a Seton Hall or St John's to a Michigan State or some others is like the old apples to oranges.
100% agree. Our return to the conference that helped establish our legacy has this romanticizing factor. But we need to take a 10,000 foot view here. Big East is not about growth. It’s about trying to relive and recreate the past. The past is dead. It will never be the same 90’s battles. AND the Big East commish and officials are scared of the NCAA. The Big East has no leverage.

If we want to grow, get the best media deals (to help with NIL), and be part of the leagues that will have leverage w the NCAA, it’s time to move on.
Agree. After this year, what All-American high school candidate would prefer to play on a BE team versus playing in the ACC, SEC, Big 12 or other larger more nationally recognized conference. The Big East keeps saying its the toughest league with obvious physicality (fouling?) but so what if at the end of the year it doesn't mean anything (except maybe the chance to get injured in the foul-prevalent games). It is past time to move on to new conference leadership.

Reaction Score
She’s useless.

Greg Sankey and Brett York basically spent last week threatening the makeup of the tournament and they got 14 at large bids. Phillips went nuts last year and this year he gets Virginia in the back door.

Meanwhile, Val’s off watching Netflix and failing on every single thing she has tried to do over the past year. Renegotiate the contract last March? Fail. Last summer? Fail. Fall? Fail. Winter? Fail. She keeps talking about it, but where is it?

She was jabbering about expansion way too publicly and then her only target said NFW and she’s left with her thumbs up her ass again.

Let her hand out trophies, but hire a killer to sit behind the big desk.

Sankey and York have something to threaten someone with. Val doesn't. Without leverage, it is just pissing in the wind.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Apparently (according to Marchand or Ourand- can’t remember which), the TV contract negotiations are going well. I do think Ackerman needs to make a statement though.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I said back in December that the conferences (outside of UConn & Marquette) lack of OOC wins was concerning and this could end up a 4 bid league. Yesterday was even worse than I thought it could be.

With that said, I think Providence did enough in conference to earn a bid (they beat Marquette and 2X Creighton) and St. John’s had good metrics even though they really only had 1 signature win… especially compared to Virginia or the MWC teams whose best win on the season (outside of their league) was over Creighton (which PC did 2X and St. John’s did as well).

Seton Hall has 2 of the best wins in the country with wins over UConn and Marquette.

But we pooped the bed, as a league, in the non conference slate this year. Outside of the BIG / 12 challenges the middle / bottom tier teams in the league don’t really schedule any good games and participate in tier 2 or 3 MTEs.

IMO, this needs to be addressed by the commissioner (privately is okay) to ensure we don’t get screwed like this going forward. Plus teach these teams how to game the metrics like the Big 12 and SEC (Auburn had 1 win against a top 85 KenPom team away from home before this past weekend but was consistently a Top 10 team in the metrics).

Val is a useless commissioner though whose only good move since we’ve rejoined the league was extending the MSG contract, so I doubt she does anything about it.

I’m hoping a strong OOC showing next year has this league back to getting 5 or 6 bids. If not, it could be a signal from the NCAA of how they view the Big East as a “power” conference…

Reaction Score
Maybe...the Committee deliberately made it difficult for UConn to repeat...

The East is a brutal bracket...Huskies have to beat the Big Ten champ, SEC champ, Big 12 champ...

Auburn fans are also claiming being screwed by being in the bracket... with UConn, Iowa State, etc.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall and St. John's should have been in, I know the bubble shrank but to not have them be at least in the first four is dumb. Yet Michigan St gets their annual pass that they get every year.

Reaction Score

The job of the commissioner in this day and age is to primarily to negotiate contracts for the conference. By far, the most important ones are the multi-year TV deals. We’ll see how she does. But how loud she whines about committee decisions will have little to do with it.
I think speaking publicly about the conference getting screwed will help in a way that maybe they won’t have the balls to be so blatant at the very least. You seem to be a lawyer, you know, you leave no stone unturned, can’t hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom