Where Football Players Call Home | The Boneyard

Where Football Players Call Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fun article w/ interactive maps. http://blog.modeanalytics.com/where-football-players-call-home/

>>To help explore these questions, the interactive map below shows where all of today’s 25,000 Division-I college football players call home, according to ESPN. The map shows how players' hometowns differ by conference, team, and position.<<

Link directly to maps: http://mode.github.io/blog/2014-01-16-football-hometowns/index.html#<<

>>The map below shows where today's college football players come from. Counties that are shaded in darker colors are home to more players than counties in ligher shades. No players reported a grey county as their home. The buttons on the right filter players by conference, college, or position. To adjust for population size, you can change the map so that county shades are based on the number of players as a percent of each county's college-aged male population.

Not a scientific study and I'm sure folks will poke @ data because they can but still a neat "productivity killer"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So Connecticut with a population of 170,630 college age males produces 37.

Total population of the state is about 3.5 million.

Reaction Score
So Connecticut with a population of 170,630 college age males produces 37.

Total population of the state is about 3.5 million.

I got 214 produced out of 170,630

Litchfield - 11
Hartford - 72
Windham - 1
Tolland - 1
New London - 15
Middlesex - 17
New Haven 32
Fairfield - 65

Reaction Score
I'm assuming Litchfield County is so high because of all the prep schools.
Because very few of the high schools up there field a football team.

Reaction Score
GametimeCT/NHR had more time on their hands and did a more detailed breaakdown by conference/position - nice job!: http://www.gametimect.com/connecticuts-college-football-player-hotbeds-hartford-fairfield-counties/

Connecticut players in DIVISION I (FBS)
  • ACC: 10 (Fairfield County 5, Hartford 4)
  • AAC: 23 (Hartford 7, Fairfield 5, New Haven 4)
  • Big Ten: 3 (Litchfield, Hartford, Middlesex)
  • Big 12: None
  • C-USA: 2 (Fairfield, New Haven)
  • Mid-American: 5 (Middlesex 3, Fairfield, Litchfield)
  • Mountain West: None
  • Pac 12: 2 (Fairfield 2)
  • SEC: 3 (Hartford 2, Fairfield 1)
  • Sun Belt: 1 (Hartford)
  • FBS Independents: 8 (Fairfield 3, Litchfield 2)

Reaction Score
Amazing that almost 4 times as many kids are playing college ball from the Pittsburgh area than from Philly even though Philly has a third more possible candidates.

Reaction Score
I'm an SCC (Southern Connecticut Conference) guy. This made me a little sad.

Reaction Score
Amazing that almost 4 times as many kids are playing college ball from the Pittsburgh area than from Philly even though Philly has a third more possible candidates.
Start adding up the kids who play in the surrounding counties (including S NJ) of Phillly and you will get a different picture. It is a pretty fertile recruiting ground. The suburban programs are better than in the city, for a number of reasons.

Reaction Score
Interesting excerpt from the write up

"But if geographic diversity doesn’t correlate team success, what should teams do? My recommendation: Recruit exclusively from St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Broward County, Florida."

We've had a few kids from here on the roster, including a current OL. Would be a good relationship to foster and grow. I realize Difton did not work out as well as we expected (poor Dez, What's Good?), but the school does put out a lot of talent.

Reaction Score
Interesting excerpt from the write up

"But if geographic diversity doesn’t correlate team success, what should teams do? My recommendation: Recruit exclusively from St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Broward County, Florida."

We've had a few kids from here on the roster, including a current OL. Would be a good relationship to foster and grow. I realize Difton did not work out as well as we expected (poor Dez, What's Good?), but the school does put out a lot of talent.
That was the high school I attended when I lived there. Great School spirit and truly a football factory with some fantastic academics. ...And I would vote yes to your recommendation.

Reaction Score
I got 214 produced out of 170,630

Litchfield - 11
Hartford - 72
Windham - 1
Tolland - 1
New London - 15
Middles e x - 17
New Haven 32
Fairfield - 65

That number -214- is way too high. I tracked Connecticut high school recruiting for a decade. We average between 10-15 LOIs to D1 schools a year. Even tossing in some walk-ons that make it, and ignoring the kids that sign LOIs but can't cut it academically, that still only gets you into the at the most 90. And that's insanely high, it supposes 18 kids a year with no drop outs, all staying for 5 years.

Reaction Score
That number -214- is way too high. I tracked Connecticut high school recruiting for a decade. We average between 10-15 LOIs to D1 schools a year. Even tossing in some walk-ons that make it, and ignoring the kids that sign LOIs but can't cut it academically, that still only gets you into the at the most 90. And that's insanely high, it supposes 18 kids a year with no drop outs, all staying for 5 years.

They must be counting FCS LOIs.

Reaction Score
Start adding up the kids who play in the surrounding counties (including S NJ) of Phillly and you will get a different picture. It is a pretty fertile recruiting ground. The suburban programs are better than in the city, for a number of reasons.
Sure. Start adding up the surrounding counties around Pittsburgh too... but that's not what I was pointing out. Pittsburgh(Allegheny) County is producing 4 times as many college football players as Philly County is yet Philly has a third more potential candidates. That's the point I was trying to make. What does it mean to UConn football? Little probably(although we do have one from Allegheny and 1 from neighbor Beaver County).... it was just an observation.

Reaction Score

You need to read the linked article. It's both D1 and D1AA and it's further broken in there.

Reaction Score
You need to read the linked article. It's both D1 and D1AA and it's further broken in there.

I was going to respond the same thing, but figured why bother. If he didnt' go back and read it by now, after coming to the conclusion that something didn't jive and actually making the effort to write about how he thought it was different, chances are he'll never learn to think to that level.

I think most people probably realized that division 1, means all of division 1, without having to read it. If you do read it, there's a breakdown in there exactly where all the data comes from. It's a pretty darn good piece of information and graphic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom