Where does this take us???? | The Boneyard

Where does this take us????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Being in Raleigh, the only info I receive is from The Boneyard.. Is there anyword on where we will be playing conference wise and with who? Are Boise and San Diego still in (football only or will we be going west coast all sports? Any new rumors from within? Am just so sick of ACC junk down here and so want them to get eaten up---(please no sarcasm or jokes....)

Reaction Score
Very little news. We are trying to keep the conference together and it should work with an east and west division. Boise, SDSU etc. will make more money with us than in the MWC.

Reaction Score
The conference will be known as 'Purgatory'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I imagine things will fall into place before the basketball season is over. The Catholic Schools leaving the Big East just threw a terrible wrench in the plans of the ACC and B1G for expansion, I'm pretty sure of it. They wanted to choose whoever they wanted when the time came. Unfortunately, time bit them in the ass and it'll be interesting to see the fight over Cincy and UConn. AFAIK, USF is royally screwed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I imagine things will fall into place before the basketball season is over. The Catholic Schools leaving the Big East just threw a terrible wrench in the plans of the ACC and B1G for expansion, I'm pretty sure of it. They wanted to choose whoever they wanted when the time came. Unfortunately, time bit them in the ass and it'll be interesting to see the fight over Cincy and UConn. AFAIK, USF is royally screwed.
I'm long past counting unhatched chickens. Now I am reduced to staring blankly and mumbling 'WTF happened' to myself.

Reaction Score
Well, this is the situation as it exists. We are still a full member of the Big East.

Although a number of former full members still compete in the conference, they have lost their voting privileges (this happens when you give your notice to withdrawal, regardless of how long you continue to compete), which means there are three eligible voting members of the league at current: UConn, Cincinnati, and South Florida. Starting in July 2013, Temple, Memphis, Central Florida, Houston, and Southern Methodist will become full voting members. Louisville, Rutgers and Notre Dame are presumably going to compete in the Big East through at least the 2013-14 season; the 27 month exit provision would hold them through 2014-15 as well if they are held to it, but both Louisville and Rutgers were admitted to their new leagues effective 2014, under the presumption neither would be held to the full 27 months. Notre Dame does not yet have a timeline for departure, which, unless it is settled in favor of a lower amount, would hold them through 2015.

Next season (2013-14), the league will have the following alignment for football: UConn, Cincinnati, USF, Temple, UCF, Memphis, Houston, SMU (as full members), Louisville, Rutgers (as yet to depart full members), Boise State and San Diego State (as associate members playing only football). In all other sports (primarily basketball), the first ten members on this list will also compete with Notre Dame, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's and DePaul.

For the 2014-15 season, the football alignment will be UConn, Cincinnati, USF, Temple, UCF, Memphis, Houston, SMU, Tulane (as full members), Boise State, San Diego State and East Carolina (as associate football-only members). The first nine will compete with the "basketball eight" above in all other sports. Louisville and Rutgers will probably *not* be competing in the Big East during the athletic year, but the 27 months would not expire for them until the end of this season unless something is changed.

For the 2015-16 season, UConn, Cincinnati, USF, Temple, UCF, Memphis, Houston, SMU, and Tulane will compete as full members in all sports, and Boise State, San Diego State, East Carolina and Navy will compete in only football.

That is our future for...the future.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm long past counting unhatched chickens. Now I am reduced to staring blankly and mumbling 'WTF happened' to myself.
You're in the building below the tip of his bow with the rest of us UConn fans.

Reaction Score
Some of the knock-on effects on the other Olympics:

1) Big East soccer: Membership will likely be very small post-2015. UConn, USF, Cincinnati, UCF, Temple, SMU and Memphis all will play men's soccer in the league, and Houston will additionally play women's soccer.

2) Big East baseball/softball: Everyone except SMU plays baseball, and everyone that plays baseball except Tulane plays softball. No problems here.

3) Big East lacrosse: The men's league will be dead with no hope of revival, but that will have zero impact on UConn. The women's side will be interesting.

Going forward, only three "future BE" teams will play lacrosse: UConn, Cincy, and Temple. But, only three Catholic-7 teams will play women's lacrosse: Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova, and unless they raid for very unexpected teams from the A-10 (i.e. not Butler, Xavier, Dayton or St. Louis), there won't be enough to keep a C7 conference together. Also, with Michigan starting a women's team in 2014-15, and Rutgers and Maryland joining the league in the same year, there will likely be a B1G conference of Penn State, Ohio State, Northwestern and the aforementioned three. That will leave three members in the American Lacrosse Conference: Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, and Florida. Old Dominion will also likely be a free agent since there's no CUSA in women's lax, but they could maintain an affiliate membership with the Colonial. I could see the ALC scooping up any number of BE leftovers to maintain its numbers.

4) Big East field hockey: Not looking so good. The league will have three members: UConn, Temple, and Old Dominion. The C7 will also, unless they raid poorly, only have Villanova, Providence and Georgetown leftover; I can, however, see those six sticking it out together in some fashion, as fewer good options exist for affiliate membership. America East will be looking for someone, with Boston U going to the Patriot, but I can see them going after Siena out of the NEC (where they affiliate for field hockey).

The good news for #3-4 on our side is that B1G and ACC options exist for both.

UMass probably will not be an appealing candidate other than for their geography, but they can help out bolstering the numbers for the smaller Olympics.

Interestingly enough, SDSU does play women's lacrosse. If the Big East were to do something like offer all the football affiliates full membership (minus Navy), in addition to adding UMass and Old Dominion as full members, Big East women's lax and field hockey could survive.

Reaction Score
Being in Raleigh, the only info I receive is from The Boneyard.. Is there anyword on where we will be playing conference wise and with who? Are Boise and San Diego still in (football only or will we be going west coast all sports? Any new rumors from within? Am just so sick of ACC junk down here and so want them to get eaten up---(please no sarcasm or jokes....)
There are plenty of words but nothing you can trust as being accurate. The most likely result is that we play in some odd conference with the remaining and new BE football schools.You can drive yourself crazy with all the rumors, suggestions and possible scenrios.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I would be surprised if in some of the lower profile sports some federation with the departing catholic members isn't created as they won't have enough teams to field a conference either in many of these.

I personally don't see things being far different with the split than if they were to remain (beyond some matchups being labelled non-conference games now) as it is very possible that the football and all sports additions will not change. Each conference will need scheduling partners in many sports (more non conference now than before) and each has long standing relationships with schools from the other side.

I've stated this a few times but will continue to repeat it: Short term this won't make whole lot of difference than if the catholics remained part of the conference. Long term we will be screwed if we don't land in a major conference just as we would be screwed by not landing in a major conference even if the catholics did remain.

Reaction Score

Man, I hope you're right, but I just don't see it. If UCONN was viewed as that valuable of property we would be in the ACC or BiG by now. I don't see the departure of the Catholics as much of a catalyst to an invite. In fact, the other conferences might be doing the analysis that suggests letting UCONN die on the vine eliminates an in market competitor for Rutgers or BC or Syracuse. If anything, I think the departure of the Catholics accelerates the timeframe to make a move before the basketball programs are severely impacted.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the c7 gave the acc and b10 all the time they need. they aren't leaving until 2015 or until the b10/acc/b12/sec make moves and cincy/uconn go somewhere as result. i expect things to be done before 2015 but the c7 didn't mess up the timeline.

ppl are acting like the c7 just canceled games starting next week or something. they threw uconn a bone and said 2015 so that were actually gone by then and then they can just break earlier. remember susan made a couple calls to see whats up? she did us well. we will be fine, u ppl need to realize all the little things.

b10 contract redo in 2017 but can neg in 2015 early some have said
nd fball decision 2015
secn 2013
b12 opens up again at 14 schools after 1 year of league play

thats a lot of things going down in the next 2 years.
-timeline of schools movement(nd others, lville, ruty)...cuse and pitt and wvu moved early others will also
-c7 gave the big east until 2015. i bet they end up with the big east name and a tney in phili. they will let the acc or b10 take over msg depending on how things shake out and espn for doing that will give them a couple more games tier 1 for $$$.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Seriously Dan, many on this board are reacting (to the C7 news) the way you would if you ran out of alcohol. The reality is as far as we are concerned this doesn't change things all that much.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Seriously Dan, many on this board are reacting (to the C7 news) the way you would if you ran out of alcohol. The reality is as far as we are concerned this doesn't change things all that much.

i need alcohol to survie the day. its just a dam fact. uconn does not need the c7 to survive a chicken sandwich for lunch let alone a bball game. we can schedule who we want any year.

we have had agreements with texas, wash, tenn and mich among others lately. we go to the suckest tneys in the fall ever year and get invited to 1 night shindigs all the time. the c7 are worth about 2 in the bush to our future. maybe a gtown game is the only exception.

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if in some of the lower profile sports some federation with the departing catholic members isn't created as they won't have enough teams to field a conference either in many of these.

I personally don't see things being far different with the split than if they were to remain (beyond some matchups being labelled non-conference games now) as it is very possible that the football and all sports additions will not change. Each conference will need scheduling partners in many sports (more non conference now than before) and each has long standing relationships with schools from the other side.

I've stated this a few times but will continue to repeat it: Short term this won't make whole lot of difference than if the catholics remained part of the conference. Long term we will be screwed if we don't land in a major conference just as we would be screwed by not landing in a major conference even if the catholics did remain.
Yes, I was thinking something similar...maybe a Hockey East type of setup for some sports. There isn't any reason why we couldn't continue a realtionship with the catholic schools in some sports. They will also be looking to fill out their schedules and it makes sense geographicly.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Continuing a relationship with the catholics shouldn't be given any priority whatsoever AORN.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've been meaning to make an Old Dominion field hockey joke. This was probably the thread and I missed my chance!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
i need alcohol to survie the day. its just a dam fact. uconn does not need the c7 to survive a chicken sandwich for lunch let alone a ****ing bball game. we can schedule who we want any year.

we have had agreements with texas, wash, tenn and mich among others lately. we go to the suckest tneys in the fall ever year and get invited to 1 night shindigs all the time. the c7 are worth about 2 in the bush to our future. maybe a gtown game is the only exception.

The we can schedule whoever we want in basketball camp is so far removed from reality I want to go to there.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The we can schedule whoever we want in basketball camp is so far removed from reality I want to go to there.

how so? gonzaga plays in the league they do yet had wvu and other power programs visit this year and they will return the visit other years. seems to me they are doing just fine as a small little school in a crappy conf. now take uconns brand, winning and distance to nyc and tell me which programs in america wont schedule 1-1's and other games with us? we can play in cusa just like emmphis did and load up ooc.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

As I said somewhere else, you need to replace about 8 top 100 games on the.schedule. There is no difference is scheduling College of Charleston instead of Seton Hall or PC.

It not only can be done, it must.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
how so? gonzaga plays in the league they do yet had wvu and other power programs visit this year and they will return the visit other years. seems to me they are doing just fine as a small little school in a crappy conf. now take uconns brand, winning and distance to nyc and tell me which programs in america wont schedule 1-1's and other games with us? we can play in cusa just like emmphis did and load up ooc.

Gonzaga plays a handful of power teams OOC. Note their NCAA seeds over the years - if you want to say UConn can be Gonzaga - great that is a level so far below the last 20 years of Connecticut basketball it can be measured in light years.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Gonzaga plays a handful of power teams OOC. Note their NCAA seeds over the years - if you want to say UConn can be Gonzaga - great that is a level so far below the last 20 years of Connecticut basketball it can be measured in light years.

im saying if we have to we can live there lifestyle schedule wise but becuase of our power as a school we can live much better and still suceed. im going to call us doomsday show that i see commercials for and let them know your having uconn issues.

if the new big east goes big and adds a bunch of schools the worst case is uconns in conf schedule has cicny, temple, memphis, usf on it and think about others like nm, byu and sdsu. step off the ledge. we play in big time bball tneys and can schedule big ooc. the c7 are worse off then us schedule wise unless they get all of butler, dayton, xavier and stl for starters...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
im saying if we have to we can live there lifestyle schedule wise but becuase of our power as a school we can live much better and still suceed. im going to call us doomsday show that i see commercials for and let them know your having uconn issues.

if the new big east goes big and adds a bunch of schools the worst case is uconns in conf schedule has cicny, temple, memphis, usf on it and think about others like nm, byu and sdsu. step off the ledge. we play in big time bball tneys and can schedule big ooc. the c7 are worse off then us schedule wise unless they get all of butler, dayton, xavier and stl for starters...

You'll find their lifestyle unsatisfying. It's like eating out of the trash compared to UConn's history.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You'll find their lifestyle unsatisfying. It's like eating out of the trash compared to UConn's history.

really? playing crapy teams liek depaul, prov and shu every year was that good? i'm not saying im thrilled about not playing cuse, wvu and nd every year for example but i think your a little to dooms day about it.

we shall see in time who we are actually playing....:D

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

What you have to understand is that the ship you are talking about sailed quite some time ago, when we lost Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, and now Louisville. Does losing Georgetown, Marquette, and Nova hurt? Certainly. But not nearly as much as the other teams we've lost that are legitimate top15 teams (althoug GTown belongs there too).

We'll have to leverage games against Memphis, Temple, Cincy, and UCF in conference, along with the fact that we will likely play SDSU even if they aren't full members. Bolster the OOC a bit (we already play marquee teams, but play a couple more), and we will be okay. This is what our life is now, but it's not that bad. We will never see a conference again like Big East 2011....never....but that doesn't mean that we can't have a meaningful schedule...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom