Where does Boatright rank amongst all-time Uconn Point Guards | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where does Boatright rank amongst all-time Uconn Point Guards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i didnt quote you.....

was responding to the guy who said marcus was one of the most disappointing players in uconn history, which is idiotic

Ok gotchya, my bad thought you were saying putting him at 10 was idiotic. I agree we are one and done without him he was our only ball handler on that team with no AJ on that team that year. It was disappointing in a sense that we didn't get to see more play out of him, and that he could be an NBA player today.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The term point guard has ramifications. We tend to go more for the lead guard type.

Kemba
Gordon
Shabazz
Scheffer
Smith
El-Amin
Price
Boatright
Williams
Ollie
Brown
Dyson

If you take out scoring and mean pass first PG then:

Scheffer
Price
Brown
Ollie
Williams
Smith

Most of the other guys were scorers first. And yes, Scheffer and Ollie ran the best offense we've ever had.

Reaction Score
I can't rank Smith because he was before my time but I'd put Doron ahead of Boat. I know few would agree but I got MWill ahead of him as well just because I loved watching him play, at least offensively. Boat would go towards the bottom ahead of KO and Taliek.

Reaction Score
msgordon said:
i didnt quote you..... was responding to the guy who said marcus was one of the most disappointing players in uconn history, which is idiotic

He is one of the most disappointing players in UConn history.

He was a part of two teams that were ranked No. 1 in the preseason and be sabotaged both of them with selfishness. Thank goodness we won his freshman year without him and zero backcourt depth.

He's nowhere near any list of mine. Give me Boat any day of the week.

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
Absolutely agree with you, and it's largely why Bazz is my favorite player ever.

He (deservedly) gets most of the attention from the championship season, but the year he had when UConn was banned was almost as remarkable. That team played 45 overtime minutes that season ... and Shabazz scored somewhere around 50 points in those 45 minutes. I've been watching bball for a long time, and that's one of the craziest stats I've ever seen.

He's one of the more unusual great players I've ever seen at UConn, but that made him one of the most fun to watch.

I totally forgot about that in 12-13. We went 5-2 in overtime games that season, and in just about every one of them Bazz took control.

Some quotes:

ST. THOMAS, U.S. Virgin Islands --Shabazz Napier scored 23 of his career-high 29 points in the final 3:24 of regulation and two overtime periods, and the 23rd-ranked Huskies survived a major upset bid by Quinnipiac in an 89-83 win at the Paradise Jam.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Ryan Boatright scored 19 points and Shabazz Napier had 18, including eight in overtime, to lead Connecticut to an 82-79 victory over Providence on Thursday night.

STORRS, Conn. -- Shabazz Napier scored 24 points and hit three 3-pointers in overtime, leading Connecticut to a 69-64 win Sunday over South Florida.

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Shabazz Napier scored 11 of his 27 points in overtime as Connecticut beat Cincinnati 73-66 on Thursday night.

Reaction Score
The better question is which former point guards could have gotten this team in the Tourney?

Reaction Score
this is completely ridiculous. ya we lost to george mason, get over it. marcus was the best passer bar none ive ever seen in college. he led the entire ncaa in assists his two full years here and im pretty sure when he left uconn he was the alltime NCAA leader in assists per minute. he led some great offenses and as much as everyone hates on the 2006 team, they had a great season with him at the helm...30-4 and 14-2 in a stacked bigeast. im pretty sure he averaged like 20 and 8 in the tournament that year and was super clutch at the ft line, if we 'choked' or 'underachieved' that year it certainly wasnt because of him

looked it up, marcus in the ncaas in 2006... 24/46(.522 fg) 10/18(.555 3fg) 22/23(.957ft) 20ppg 8.8apg...those are amazing #s
I disagree. What do almost all of these PGs have in common: the unquestionable will and drive to battle on both ends of the floor. Marcus Williams is the antithesis of this. Yes, there were games where he was a wizard on offense, but Marcus Williams wilted in too many big games. Williams lacked the true grit that an elite PG needs.

Reaction Score
I don't think the top 3 is too debatable
We take it Kemba and Shabazz are 1-2 in no particular order give or take. Here is my list.

1. Kemba (2011 season says it all 2 FF)
1b. Shabazz (2 National Championships, of course we know coaching change, BS Tourney ban etc etc, but I can't put him above Kemba that 2011 run was ridiculous so I will put him beside him which is why I have him at 1B.
3. Khalid (CLUTCH, brought the swagger to the program)
4. Smith (Alltime leading scorer was as close as you can get to a FF :mad:)
5. AJ (2 time all american over came a brain hemmorage and ACL injury)
6. Boat (Top 6 all-time in scoring, shut down defender in last years title run, we don't win 1 game without him this year)
7.Taliek ( All time assists leader, was a gamer knew his role well)
8. Doron (Great Shooter was an great Uconn teams that had bad luck in the tourney)
9. Ollie (A coach on the floor no pun intended lol)
10. Marcus (Would have him higher if he saw the floor more, talent wise I would have him at 3)

I think your top four is spot on and in a separate tier although I would have kemba alone at the top. From there i go taliek boat aj and then drop down another tier for the rest of the guys. Im going on what they did here not pure talent for which williams is right there with kemba at the top

Reaction Score
Tate George was a great PG. Not saying he's number 1 but Tate has to be the top ten conversation.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Did Earl Kelly ever actually play the point? I recall him as always being the 2 (and he played like a 2).
Well, when you are the only guy who can dribble and shoot, that tends to happen like with Boat.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I'm just hoping Jalen turns out to be as good as any of them. A lot of schools would want a list like this.
I will be disappointed if he is not No 1 when he is through. We have never had a point with his athleticism.

Reaction Score
I will be disappointed if he is not No 1 when he is through. We have never had a point with his athleticism.
If you are disappointed if Jalen doesn't pass Kemba or Shabazz--let alone KEA--you will almost certainly be disappointed. Those expectations are far too high.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is some revisionist history going on here. Taliek Brown was losing minutes to Williams when MW was a freshman until Williams had to sit for academics, so Calhoun appeared to disagree with a lot of your assessments. In addition, I would be Top 10 all time in assists at UConn if I was passing to Caron, Emeda, Gordon, Rashad, Villanueva, Boone and Denham.

My list:

1) Khalid - took us to a Final 8 from the NIT as a frosh and then to the NC as a sophomore. Streaky shooter, occasional defender, literally would take plays off on the court, and a pure winner. An neither team was just a case of getting hot at the right time. They dominated the whole year.

2) Walker - Won a NC with a young team, and was ranked the whole year.

3) Bazz - 2 NC's

4) Price - the value of Price was proven when he got hurt against San Diego. The team sucked without him.

5) Marcus Williams - I can't believe someone in this thread claimed Marcus couldn't see the court.

6) Ollie - couldn't shoot but was a bullet and had a tremendous handle

7) Doron - I can't believe he didn't make a Final Four with the 3 teams he played for.

8) Taliek - people forget how much he struggled at times his first 3 seasons.

Reaction Score
There is some revisionist history going on here. Taliek Brown was losing minutes to Williams when MW was a freshman until Williams had to sit for academics, so Calhoun appeared to disagree with a lot of your assessments. In addition, I would be Top 10 all time in assists at UConn if I was passing to Caron, Emeda, Gordon, Rashad, Villanueva, Boone and Denham.

My list:

1) Khalid - took us to a Final 8 from the NIT as a frosh and then to the NC as a sophomore. Streaky shooter, occasional defender, literally would take plays off on the court, and a pure winner. An neither team was just a case of getting hot at the right time. They dominated the whole year.

2) Walker - Won a NC with a young team, and was ranked the whole year.

3) Bazz - 2 NC's

4) Price - the value of Price was proven when he got hurt against San Diego. The team sucked without him.

5) Marcus Williams - I can't believe someone in this thread claimed Marcus couldn't see the court.

6) Ollie - couldn't shoot but was a bullet and had a tremendous handle

7) Doron - I can't believe he didn't make a Final Four with the 3 teams he played for.

8) Taliek - people forget how much he struggled at times his first 3 seasons.

Here you go being contradictory for the hell of it. Ollie himself would laugh at the idea that he's a better PG than Boatright.

Reaction Score
We take it Kemba and Shabazz are 1-2 in no particular order give or take. Here is my list.

1b. Shabazz (2 National Championships, of course we know coaching change, BS Tourney ban etc etc, but I can't put him above Kemba that 2011 run was ridiculous so I will put him beside him which is why I have him at 1B.
6. Boat (Top 6 all-time in scoring, shut down defender in last years title run, we don't win 1 game without him this year)
8. Doron (Great Shooter was an great Uconn teams that had bad luck in the tourney)
10. Marcus (Would have him higher if he saw the floor more, talent wise I would have him at 3)
Wow great list, I agree with the order

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Here you go being contradictory for the hell of it. Ollie himself would laugh at the idea that he's a better PG than Boatright.

I forgot to mention that I didn't include Smith and Boatright because they aren't point guards. Great players, especially Smith. But not point guards.

Reaction Score

More than the other guys, I always wanted to like Marcus so much more than I actually did like him. There was always just something "off" about him...always felt like we were gettting a little short-changed for some reason.

Reaction Score
The one reason you cannot put Napier ahead of Kemba is that if Kemba didn't win it all in '11, Napier wouldn't have put it together in his head to figure out how to carry the team last year. '11 led to '14, period.

Reaction Score
I disagree. What do almost all of these PGs have in common: the unquestionable will and drive to battle on both ends of the floor. Marcus Williams is the antithesis of this. Yes, there were games where he was a wizard on offense, but Marcus Williams wilted in too many big games. Williams lacked the true grit that an elite PG needs.

find me a big game that marcus wilted in. just because he has the lamb 'lazy eyes cool demeanor' thing going on doesnt mean he didnt battle every night. he was 53-12 as a starter. led the entire country in assists twice. was the only ballhandler on our highest scoring teams of the last 15-20 years. you wanna talk off the court issues or nba career, fine...on the court at uconn he was awesome, and i never once questioned his effort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom