When will we hold Kevin Ollie responsible | Page 4 | The Boneyard

When will we hold Kevin Ollie responsible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've said it for some time now but frankly he's a great recruiter and leader of men but in terms of coaching abilities I think he's limited. Offense will forever be stagnant, substitution patterns are perplexing, and in game adjustments need work.

Killings seems to be a great addition to the staff in terms of recruiting but I still think we need a major overhaul with our offensive system. Bring in a guy who knows how to put guys in a position to score.

But for the love of god... end the "fire Ollie" nonsense.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Oh man now I be heard it all.. Wagner won the regular season of the weakest conference in all college basketball. In no universe other than the lower reaches of NCAA basketball are they considered "good." And they are an NIT team. Some of you guys would make excuses for the unabomber. this was like losing to the tick tack toe chicken. He plays all the time but at the end of the day there is no excuse for not outhinking a chicken.

lol tic tac toe chicken. a+ analogy.
I used to live a block away from him. Little pissed me off.

Reaction Score
in all seriousness

What has KO done, when he hasn't had the benefit of a Calhoun coached up player?

Since the our NC run, we have been straight trash by UConn standards. I've seen no player growth from year to year, an offense that usually looks lost for 20+ seconds with a last second heave. Teams that are generally soft, constantly losing rebound margins, with a offensive bball iq that has annually been questionable at best.

Instead of consistently battling to be the premier program in the nation year in, year out.... we've unfortunately regressed to being nothing more than a program who's usually on the bubble. While our contemporaries have passed us up by leaps and bounds.

We can blame our players, realignment, aac, etc.... But Kevin Ollie must hold himself accountable. For the past 3 years our fellas have been ill prepared.

Its one game. We have 6 new guys in the mix and our starting 5 is going to need time to gel. The talent is there we just need to be patient and see what happens. I think eventually the starting 5 is going to change. Gilbert/Adams will be the starting backcourt because "The Ferrari" has turned out to be nothing but a conversion kit. Larrier looks solid so these three spots i believe will be held down by these guys. The problem is the bigs and bench rotation. AB will never be the rebounder we need him to be,FAcey is too inconsistant and Enoch looks like a bench guy at best. We need Diarra to step up and make an impact and hope AB or Facey step up their game. Not sure if thats going to happen. Durham has talent but i dont expect much from him this year and he doesnt look like hes built to bang around in the paint. Purv and Vital can provide some good minutes off the bench.

Reaction Score
Who said fire?!?Head bang
You're right. But it's the same old, same old. Lose a game and it's free reign to question everything. Ratchet up the pressure, what have you done lately, blah blah blah.

That same sentiment is a cancer killing any discussion related to football. It seems every thread eventually leads to Fire Diaco. Threads on best gas stations somehow evolve to fire Diaco.

I might be jumping the gun, but one game in, this rhetoric is premature. Let the season evolve somewhat before we throw out generalizations of coaching ineffectiveness.

Reaction Score
We are all OK with Larrier replacing Hamilton points production wise, ditto for Gilbert and Gibbs as far as scoring points, but what have you got for me on replacing Shonn Miller? At the end of last season it was my biggest concern and still is. KO maybe recruited 5 good players for our future but in the short run we may have a scoring problem.

Reaction Score
I sort of think Ollie is Mike Davis revisited. Successful early with Calhoun's guys then not so much with his guys. Davis career was almost identical except that he lost in the Champioship game in his second year. Ollie obviously won

Reaction Score
He's a good defensive coach, but a mediocre offensive coach at best. And no, I don't care that he runs a cool hammer play 3 or 4 times a season.
Must be a common criteria for hiring coaches in sports at UCONN!

Reaction Score
I've said it for some time now but frankly he's a great recruiter and leader of men but in terms of coaching abilities I think he's limited. Offense will forever be stagnant, substitution patterns are perplexing, and in game adjustments need work.

Killings seems to be a great addition to the staff in terms of recruiting but I still think we need a major overhaul with our offensive system. Bring in a guy who knows how to put guys in a position to score.

But for the love of god... end the "fire Ollie" nonsense.

Reaction Score
A great recruiter? Because he gets Josh Carlton? Tyler Polley? How about going against Duke or Kentucky and getting one . Until then let's hold off on being a great recruiter.

Reaction Score
A great recruiter? Because he gets Josh Carlton? Tyler Polley? How about going against Duke or Kentucky and getting one . Until then let's hold off on being a great recruiter.

He is a very good recruiter. His recruiting is actually saving us from irrelevance. It is extremely difficult to recruit 5 star players when you aren't in a Power 5 conference or even a "basketball" conference like the Big East. Plus, Ollie can't really use the UConn = NBA success thing anymore. These kids are 16 years old. They don't remember Richard Hamilton and they think Ray Allen was just an old shooter that couldn't take it to the hoop or handle the ball.

Reaction Score
What an unbiased depiction of KO's recruiting ability.

Reaction Score
Wow, we have to to be fair about this. Jim Calhoun would get the occasional top ten kid but we were in a power conference, the BE. So he's getting top 50 and 100 but yes we desperately could use that special type of player it would make a difference. If Duke or Kentucky were in our conference for 4 years do they get those players?

Reaction Score
Wow, we have to to be fair about this. Jim Calhoun would get the occasional top ten kid but we were in a power conference, the BE. So he's getting top 50 and 100 but yes we desperately could use that special type of player it would make a difference. If Duke or Kentucky were in our conference for 4 years do they get those players?

Reaction Score
Ok. You guys may be right about the recruiting. He is severely handicapped because of the JV conference we are in.
I am super pissed about what I saw Friday. Wagner? You have got to be kidding. Don't give me that cap about its early, they are really good. We are UCONN and no way should we ever lose to f....n Wagner. They had a 6'6" kid play better and harder than our big guys. EMBARRASSING. And it absolutely comes down to coaching.

Reaction Score
The recruiting stuff is just nonsense. Gonzaga recruits just fine thanks. In a worse league than ours. People like Ollie for a variety of reasons. He played at UConn. Calhoun's guy. Won it all in 2014. He is a genuinely nice guy. Problem is he has proven himself to be missing something as a coach. Without Calhouns guys his inadequacies are magnified. Shabazz covered a multitude of deficiencies.

Reaction Score
The recruiting stuff is just nonsense. Gonzaga recruits just fine thanks. In a worse league than ours. People like Ollie for a variety of reasons. He played at UConn. Calhoun's guy. Won it all in 2014. He is a genuinely nice guy. Problem is he has proven himself to be missing something as a coach. Without Calhouns guys his inadequacies are magnified. Shabazz covered a multitude of deficiencies.
What recruiting stuff is nonsense? It's not nonsense to point out we've had many things that negatively impacted recruiting the last 5 years.

And I love the "Calhoun's guys" thing, as if he was left with incredible talent that required no coaching. It's one of only 2 teams in the last 30 years to win the championship with 0 McDonald's All Americans.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What recruiting stuff is nonsense? It's not nonsense to point out we've had many things that negatively impacted recruiting the last 5 years.

And I love the "Calhoun's guys" thing, as if he was left with incredible talent that required no coaching. It's one of only 2 teams in the last 30 years to win the championship with 0 McDonald's All Americans.

The "great recruiter" stuff is nonsense. He hasn't proven that yet. And you can blame the conference all you want but we are on national TV A LOT and we have won four championships in these kid's lifetimes. We are a blue blood regardless of conference. On top of that, he should be able to sell his NBA connections with multiple coaches, GMs, LeBron and KD. If he didn't have ALL THAT to work with, maybe the conference would be an issue. But given all that, it is an excuse. If you want to blame the sanctions, please put a stake in the ground and tell me which recruiting class should be the first class which was not affected by the sanctions. Was it the 2013 class? The 2014 class we all celebrated? How about the 2015 class everyone was excited about? And that is an honest question for everyone. I am curious what people think in terms of when we were finally free of the impact from those sanctions.

Reaction Score
The "great recruiter" stuff is nonsense. He hasn't proven that yet. And you can blame the conference all you want but we are on national TV A LOT and we have won four championships in these kid's lifetimes. We are a blue blood regardless of conference. On top of that, he should be able to sell his NBA connections with multiple coaches, GMs, LeBron and KD. If he didn't have ALL THAT to work with, maybe the conference would be an issue. But given all that, it is an excuse. If you want to blame the sanctions, please put a stake in the ground and tell me which recruiting class should be the first class which was not affected by the sanctions. Was it the 2013 class? The 2014 class we all celebrated? How about the 2015 class everyone was excited about? And that is an honest question for everyone. I am curious what people think in terms of when we were finally free of the impact from those sanctions.
I would say the 2016 class is the first one not impacted by the sanctions. You must have a comical definition of what a great recruiter is if you don't think Ollie is recruiting at a very high level. We're talking about you though, so it's pretty standard.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I would say the 2016 class is the first one not impacted by the sanctions. You must have a comical definition of what a great recruiter is if you don't think Ollie is recruiting at a very high level. We're talking about you though, so it's pretty standard.

Paesano's standards are all 5 star burger boys.

C

Chief00

peaking later in the year is a natural process, you don't plan on that. calhoun coaching was a different scenario, he had plenty of opportunities to gain ground later in year. for uconn and kevin ollie in 2016, winning in november and december IS CRUCIAL, its pretty much march madness. its what makes losing to wagner at home all that more daunting, you only have 30-35 games or so.

I agree the schedule is front end loaded now - use to be back end loaded.

Reaction Score
Why was the 2015 class impacted by sanctions?

Reaction Score
Why was the 2015 class impacted by sanctions?
Because recruiting the 2015 class involves building relationships with those players during their sophomore and junior years of highschool, which is the 2012-2013 time period. During the 2012-2013 time period, we still had restrictions on the amount of off campus recruiting we could do, restrictions on the amount of coaches who could make phone calls, and restrictions on the number of official visits we could have.

I still think our 2015 class is good, and not the problem.

Reaction Score
Gee, usually this moronic conversation doesn't take place until mid-season.
First of all: Wagner is an NCAA team returning about 6 veterans from a 23 win season and we are a team where are best players are playing there first college game.
Second of all: Purvis, Facey, Brimah and to a lesser extant Enoch didn't have either heart transplants or brain transplants over the summer. Ollie has to find out where these guys are this season. Facey never seems to develop, Purvis stinks one game and is great the next. Brimah is the same player he was as a freshman. and Enoch, well I've said this before: he may be the wrong guy.
The good news. Ollie has replaced DHam with Larrier, a better player.
The two young points can really play.
He has the tall kid from Tampa to develop.
He needs just one of his bigs to step up or get off the injury list.
These guys will blowout some teams. Nothing to worry about.
Wagner was good.

What are the excuses this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member