When was the last time you went out? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

When was the last time you went out?

Reaction Score
I won't be going out for a while. Just lost my job. 20 years of grinding and climbing wiped out by a virus from 8,000 miles away. That's a hard one to accept. Instead of laying off people, shouldn't companies give everyone a temporary pay cut to keep our people employed so the economy can come back? I'm sure our CEO isnt giving up any of his $12 million a year in salary......

Sorry to hear that. I’m probably 60/40 getting laid off. We mostly sell small business insurance so yikes

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I won't be going out for a while. Just lost my job. 20 years of grinding and climbing wiped out by a virus from 8,000 miles away. That's a hard one to accept. Instead of laying off people, shouldn't companies give everyone a temporary pay cut to keep our people employed so the economy can come back? I'm sure our CEO isnt giving up any of his $12 million a year in salary......
Sucks, sorry to hear. We cut almost all of our contractors loose and furloughed lots of staff or cut their hours, good people. Stopped 401k match. Supposedly did a pay cut for exec team. I am guessing that many of our furloughed staff are not coming back - some because of work volume, some because they feel betrayed by the company.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Yep, I'm doing that as well but I miss eating out. I wonder what that is going to look like in a post Corona virus lock down world.

Which restaurant?
I bring my lunch to work, but on the weekend we usually eat out as a family 1-2 times. Despite my wife racking up $1k plus in costco purchases in a 2 week span, in looking at our bank accounts we have spent quite a bit less money overall. Our usual weekend restaurant spend is apparently not small potatoes.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear that and I know what you are going through. I'm retired now, but at one point in my career I was laid off after 22 years of working for the same company. It was my first job out of college. It was traumatic. What helped me a lot was reading positive thinking books, like Tony Robbins. I ended up getting a better job with better benefits. Hoping the same for you.

Reaction Score
I woke up yesterday at 5:30AM and while my wife slept . I defied my grounding and went to the 6:00AM senios only period at Safeway . They weren’t checking ID’s
Armed with mask, Gloves, and wipes
Scored paper towels, whole wheat pasta . and a bunch of good other stuff. I did get Tyler Phommachanh for someone else.
I won’t go out again for two weeks but my wife won’t leave the house until. June earliest

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Can't imagine trying to socially distance in The City.
One thing is puzzling about what your nephew said. Gov. Cuomo clearly stated a few days ago that they had an excess of ventilators and had in fact shipped a couple hundred to another state that needed them. If that's true, maybe your nephew's experience was anecdotal for his coverage area.
Sorry I'm late to respond. Didn't see this. During the peak of the crisis there was definitely a shortage of ventilators in the Bronx. Hospital staffs had to make the tough choice of deciding who got ventilators.

He reiterated what other emergency and medical personnel have stated in the news. He worked for NYC EMS and was assigned to help out in the World Trade Building disaster. He's not prone to overstatement. During peak Covid-19 conditions in NYC, from an emergency and medical standpoint, in his opinion were far worse than the disaster of 9/11. I'm not presenting this as hyperbole but as a comparison of disasters in order that people don't underplay the severity of Covid-19.

Reaction Score
Until yesterday, only went out for weekly groceries. But everything changed Sunday night, with nasty weather and tornados through the town I live in. Been without power and not sure when it will be restored. Since most stores are limiting things like water, its been multiple trips. But, on the bright side of all this, I had the opportunity to teach my grandson how to build a small fire pit, a fire and how to cook on it. Either today or tomorrow I'm going to show him how to get free electricity with a solar panel and a battery. Gotta love science projects out of necessity with the grandson. Find the good in everything.

Reaction Score
Interesting research on the value of masks we all so dutifully wear.

Seemed mostly pointless, other than a reminder we should still be social distancing, mask or no mask. No one has suggested a cloth homemade mask should replace what doctors are wearing, Nor have they suggested it is foolproof. But i think common sense says its better than nothing.

C

Chief00

Seemed mostly pointless, other than a reminder we should still be social distancing, mask or no mask. No one has suggested a cloth homemade mask should replace what doctors are wearing, Nor have they suggested it is foolproof. But i think common sense says its better than nothing.
Maybe common sense says that but the research doesn’t. That article Chief linked sourced 52 academic studies. There was no evidence of any value. The CDC website CT.Gov referenced used the word “may” protect those around the wearer but they linked no studies as they typically do to back up the “May”.

Last edited by a moderator:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Maybe common sense says that but the research doesn’t. That article Chief linked sourced 52 academic studies. There was no evidence of any value. The CDC website CT.Gov referenced used the word “may” protect those around the wearer but I resented no studies as they typically do to back up the “May”.
I skimmed several of those references that applied to cloth or cloth like masks. Did not see any that demonstrated dispersal patterns of aerosols when someone coughs, sneezes, talks, yells or sings with or without cloth masks. Interesting studies but none that illustrated an important and probably the most salient factor in assessing value of cloth mask wearing in the general public. Did you read any of the references which deals with this specific factor? I reached my limit.

Reaction Score
today i walked around philly over to the liberty bell and back. it’s surreal, it’s like the end of the world and zombie apocalypse at the same time. it’s really scarce and the ppl that are hanging around are the underbelly of society. that’s the nicest way to put it.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Maybe common sense says that but the research doesn’t. That article Chief linked sourced 52 academic studies. There was no evidence of any value. The CDC website CT.Gov referenced used the word “may” protect those around the wearer but I resented no studies as they typically do to back up the “May”.
That word "may" is hilarious when journalists use it to try to prove or make a point
It's like all these Courant articles about certain unfortunates who have passed away and they say "may have been attributed to COVID-19"

C

Chief00

I skimmed several of those references that applied to cloth or cloth like masks. Did not see any that demonstrated dispersal patterns of aerosols when someone coughs, sneezes, talks, yells or sings with or without cloth masks. Interesting studies but none that illustrated an important and probably the most salient factor in assessing value of cloth mask wearing in the general public. Did you read any of the references which deals with this specific factor? I reached my limit.

I did and cloth masks neither filter the virus effectively or are snug in fit to keep germs from going out the sides. A false sense of security. Interestingly, proponents of the cloth masks both argue that if its being worn on an asymptomatic wearer, it will protect others, but then they use as an example of perhaps reducing the distance of germs spread by a sneeze or cough - which would make the wearer symptomatic not asymptomatic. In short, there’s no data to back it up and even the argument is inconsistent.

Reaction Score
Every day. Multiple times a day. I have changed very little - if anything. Other things around us have changed - causing less availability. People around us live in fear and scurry around like rats. The overall reduced movement should localize occurrence - which makes sense. Just use good common sense with what you touch and where you put your hands - i.e. Eyes, nose, ears, etc... so sanitizing hands is a strongly recommended layer of protection. The virus itself is not airborne. The mask doesn't really protect you - it keeps the virus from spreading to others - if YOU have it. There is no reason to be fearful. Just apply a little intellect and common sense. Fear and disinformation are very powerful with an unsuspecting and ignorant public. Fear not. Apply common sense - now that we know it is contracted by touch. Really basic stuff - it ain't aerosol.

Last edited:

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Tomorrow will be 14 days with nothing other than walks around the neighborhood.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I'm on day 40 and they just extended our lockdown to June 1st.
That's impressive - what are you doing for food?

I have to make a store run tomorrow.

Reaction Score
That's impressive - what are you doing for food?

I have to make a store run tomorrow.
My only sustenence has been Tyler Phommachanh.

I did a major shopping right before this all started, I voted on March 17th, and made another food run last week. Other than that my only times out have been long drives.

Reaction Score
and wear a mask please. annoying runners you’re not exempt

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom