When was the last time you visited storrs, ct? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

When was the last time you visited storrs, ct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last April (2021) for baseball game against Georgetown. I hope to be back in the Fall to check out where the Frats used to be. I live in Florida now so not a quick trip.

The last time I was at Wright B was around the summer of 1993 with one of my dormmates who was visiting from California. The RA showed us around since there were no students there. I still like walking around campus.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Last time was taking my daughter to visit on a tour, so fall of 2019 just before Covid.

As for summer, it's always been dead. Growing up in Manchester, on the eastern edge of town, we would sometimes drive down 44 to Storrs and play frisbee on the "great lawn" or whatever it is called.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Probably 20 years ago. It's not the same place I went to school - no South Campus, no Shaboo, no fieldhouse, no Memorial Stadium, so no nostalgia anymore.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Ted's is still there.
I don't know if this was common throughout South Campus in the 70s, but none of my crowd hung at Ted's with any regularity, nor do I recall anyone from either Stowe or Crandall even mentioning the place as an option for going out. If we went out to drink, it was usually in the direction of Willi.

Reaction Score
For the Storrs residents, how is it during the summer? Wanted to go up on a Saturday just to walk around and check out all the new bars/restaurants...is anything open on campus during the summer?

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Drove there with my bike a few weeks ago. In summer you can ride the entire campus and explore with no pedestrians or cars around, an amazing way to see everything that's been built and how the campus has been transformed. The hockey arena is taking shape and looks amazing - check out that whole athletic complex if you get a chance. Hockey, baseball, softball, soccer, more, all together.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
I don't know if this was common throughout South Campus in the 70s, but none of my crowd hung at Ted's with any regularity, nor do I recall anyone from either Stowe or Crandall even mentioning the place as an option for going out. If we went out to drink, it was usually in the direction of Willi.
I'm guessing that Ted's got its patronage from frats, the jungle and hilltop.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm guessing that Ted's got its patronage from frats, the jungle and hilltop.
Yes, and I did live in Frats. Huskies got patronage campus wide and it's next door. I lived in Crandall too like @storrsroars and we would all walk over to Ted's or Huskies. Everyone on campus went there. They were literally the only bars that you could get to without a car. I suspect that my time in the 80s coincided with a bit less tolerance of drunk driving than was the case in the 70s. Plus, most people didn't have a car on campus. I don't recall anyone heading to Willimantic during my time. We did go to Chuck's/Margaritaville and to Thumpers now and then.

Reaction Score
Yes, and I did live in Frats. Huskies got patronage campus wide and it's next door. I lived in Crandall too like @storrsroars and we would all walk over to Ted's or Huskies. Everyone on campus went there. They were literally the only bars that you could get to without a car. I suspect that my time in the 80s coincided with a bit less tolerance of drunk driving than was the case in the 70s. Plus, most people didn't have a car on campus. I don't recall anyone heading to Willimantic during my time. We did go to Chuck's/Margaritaville and to Thumpers now and then.
I was a student in the mid-2000s, and the only off-campus bar we ever went to was Sports Bar. On (or almost-on) campus we had Huskies, Ted's, Thirsty Dog, and C.O. Jones, although the latter 2 closed while I was there.

Reaction Score
or Rapp's

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They don't make 'em like Rapp's anymore. I don't think having an steady inch of standing water in the bathroom is legal now.

Reaction Score
I was a student in the mid-2000s, and the only off-campus bar we ever went to was Sports Bar. On (or almost-on) campus we had Huskies, Ted's, Thirsty Dog, and C.O. Jones, although the latter 2 closed while I was there.
I've never heard of thirsty dog. Is it where the civic pub was and Huskies is now?

Reaction Score
I was there in late '70s. I remember going to nickel night at Wizards where The Blue is now. Others in my dorm would go to Rosals on occasion. We didn't go to Willie much but did go to Shaboo. I also remember driving with others to The Brave Bull in South Windsor and Brandys in Newington to see certain bands.

Reaction Score
I've never heard of thirsty dog. Is it where the civic pub was and Huskies is now?
I didn't know Huskies moved there, but yes, I believe it was the Civic Pub before it was Thirsty Dog.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Probably 20 years ago. It's not the same place I went to school - no South Campus, no Shaboo, no fieldhouse, no Memorial Stadium, so no nostalgia anymore.
The field house is still there, isn’t it?

South campus was such a great place to live. 60 people to a dorm and each dorm with its own chef and kitchen. I understand that that’s probably in efficient, but it was a pretty cool experience. it really built a sense of family and camaraderie within the dorms.

Reaction Score
The field house is still there, isn’t it?

South campus was such a great place to live. 60 people to a dorm and each dorm with its own chef and kitchen. I understand that that’s probably in efficient, but it was a pretty cool experience. it really built a sense of family and camaraderie within the dorms.
I didn't live in South campus but the Frats was similar. 60 people in a dorm plus the RA with a cook and helper. Everyone ate dinner around 5:15. It did build that camaraderie. I am still in contact with 5 people from those days 40 years ago.

Speaking about bars. In the 70's the drinking age in CT was 18. Going to the bars was not as important since the package stores would deliver kegs to the dorms. Most of our keg parties were on Thursday and Friday nights. We also went to the ROTC for cheap beers and music on the weekends.

Reaction Score
Are Arjona and Monteith still standing? I'm usually there for bball games a couple times a winter but didn't know about a new econ and social science building.
Yes, Monteith is still proudly standing! They added an elevator, painted some walls, and recruited the Math Department. Econ (and other social sciences) moved to the new and modern Oak Hall.

Reaction Score
I was in NJ/NY/Boston/CT with my girlfriend in December last year, and we took a pit stop at UConn between Boston and CT. She’s from Miami but moved to West Hartford for high school and her step-dad and his side have been in the state for a while, all UConn fans but I’m not sure how many of any actually attended. I only think she had been on campus a couple times total. Took her to Thread City Diner the following morning on our way out.

We stayed at the campus hotel, where I lived as a student on the 5th floor 2010-2011. Totally new place, new owners, essentially unrecognizable.

It happened to be finals week so everything was quite chill. Went to Ted’s at like 4:30 and it was deserted lol. Went to downtown storrs for both our first time and went to Kathmandu which was amazing. Too cold for dairy bar. Had been years since I spent any real time on campus.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
LOL shaboo hasnt been there for 40 years, grandpa. :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I didn't live in South campus but the Frats was similar. 60 people in a dorm plus the RA with a cook and helper. Everyone ate dinner around 5:15. It did build that camaraderie. I am still in contact with 5 people from those days 40 years ago.

Speaking about bars. In the 70's the drinking age in CT was 18. Going to the bars was not as important since the package stores would deliver kegs to the dorms. Most of our keg parties were on Thursday and Friday nights. We also went to the ROTC for cheap beers and music on the weekends.
They also mandated that you have a “non-alcoholic drink“ at the parties. The inevitable choice was bug juice from the dining hall mixed with grain alcohol.

I don’t think people who went to school after the drinking age change can appreciate it. You really didn’t need to leave campus. Thursday and Friday nights there were tons of dorm parties around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom