When was the last big home win? Your favorite home win? | The Boneyard

When was the last big home win? Your favorite home win?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
This upcoming Florida game has the chance to be the biggest home win in years. As someone who has been bleeding blue since I was 7 - I've been seriously hooked since the Dream Season - I was thinking that we haven't had a big-time, marquee home win with a raucous crowd in years.

The last one I can think of was during the 2015 AAC tourney in Hartford. We lost in the finals to a good SMU team, and that was an awesome crowd. I belive it was on St. Patty's Day. But, it was the quarterfinal game vs. Cinci (we beat a meh Tulsa team in the semi's), when the Boat Show and Purvis took over at the end, which I believe was our last, fun, big, home win. 2015!!!!!!!!

I cannot wait to knock off the Gators next week and show the hoops nation that UCONN IS BACK. Bring your fandom, the boys will need us.

I remember wild home wins, leaving the game tired and with a sore throat. My 2 personal faves were that lame duck #1 Texas team that we beat at Gampel, when Dyson said it was the loudest he had ever heard Gampel (2010), and that Napier buzzerbeater to beat Florida not so long ago (2014), but which seems like ages ago. I cannot wait to return to the BE, but first, let's handle Florida and the rest of this season! What are some of your favorite home wins?

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Georgetown and Cuse in the dream season were my favorite home wins, we stepped on to the big stage

Florida in 13/14 was our last really big home win. Billy Donovan called us lucky, we got to end his dreams in the national semis just a few months later. Think he stopped talking

Reaction Score
I think that Florida 13/14 win is also the biggest home in quite some time win and possibly the biggest home win of the decade.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Beating Arizona at Gampel in 2000 was pretty great. The decisive goal-tending call that went our way was the type of call that always used to go against us. I won four courtside seats in a charity auction and it was great when the fans stormed the court. We were sitting next to Billy Packer and we enjoyed harassing him by calling him Fudge as we pushed him aside en route to the court.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
One of my favorites was the Nova game in 2011 where Kemba hit floater to win. Gampel was rocking that game. That game was so evenly matched I think Nova was #7 in the country we were #8. Great game.

Reaction Score
I liked beating the highly ranked Oklahoma team at Gampel in 03-04.

This game always sticks out in my mind. From a certain point of view this game was the peak of UConn basketball. Our most talented team ever playing their best game of the season. Absolutely dismantling a Top 10 team and dominating every aspect of the game. That was such a fun game to watch.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Syracuse at MSG last year. Great showing by UConn fans at one of our home venues even in the middle of a bad ass blizzard. I know a more fans were stuck trying to get there. Great game and probably our best win last year notwithstanding the gritty pluck of the visiting team in orange.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
I waited 8 hours to get into gampel for that 13/14 florida game, then another 2 inside for the actual game, that game was just wild, I'd say that's my favorite home win

Reaction Score
Beating Texas will always be my personal #1 because of how insane and loud the crowd was that game. Never felt anything like it before. The other great home win that comes to mind in more recent years was when we beat SMU in Hartford in 2015

Reaction Score
Beating Arizona at Gampel in 2000 was pretty great. The decisive goal-tending call that went our way was the type of call that always used to go against us. I won four courtside seats in a charity raffle and it was great when the fans stormed the court. We were sitting next to Billy Packer and we enjoyed harassing him by calling him Fudge as we pushed him aside en route to the court.
i was working in gample operations for that game.. have to say that was one of loudest crowds at gample that i can remember during that era.. another one was the 2001 OT game with St. Johns.. they had our number the past couple games, and we were ranked.. They brought a ton of fans to gample and they were loud.. that was another great one

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Gampel opener against St. John’s was a memorable one for me. I find my old brain just doesn’t remember specific games well anymore.

Reaction Score
Favorite home wins I attended:
Florida in 13-14: Shabazz’s game-winning shot was the best single moment I have ever seen at Gampel.
Oklahoma in 03-04: We were so good that year. There can’t be a lot of games where the #6 has lost by 27.
St. John’s in 00-01: That was a Gampel game that we had to drive back up to over break, and Caron won it with a 3 at the buzzer. He was such an awesome and fun college player.
Arizona in 00-01: I still somewhat disagree with the idea of rushing the court once you have already won a National Championship, but I have to admit it was a lot of fun to be there with all the fans and players. Justin Brown was a tall, tall man.

Favorite home win I didn’t attend:
Michigan State in the 2014 Elite Eight.

Reaction Score
i was working in gample operations for that game.. have to say that was one of loudest crowds at gample that i can remember during that era.. another one was the 2001 OT game with St. Johns.. they had our number the past couple games, and we were ranked.. They brought a ton of fans to gample and they were loud.. that was another great one
You worked there but you spell it wrong? :) Lol

Still boggles my mind that people spell Gampel wrong. The place has been around for 30 years now.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
When my father started bringing me to games I was like 5...that was 1987. I couldn't comprehend the idea of a "program being built," but I knew I was experiencing something that everyone was super excited about. I was at many of those early BE games and couldn't even appreciate it!

l was at the NIT game at Gampel vs. Jackson State (1993), who had Lyndsay Hunter...when Gampel didn't have the 4 sections in the upper corners - they had some decorative banners hanging in the corners and added seats later.

I remember playing Georgetown when we had Price and Thabeet and both teams were ranked top 5 in the nation. I had just moved out on my own and was basically broke (2007), and tix were sold out and going for $100 on the street. My buddy and I drank and watched the 1st half at Mayor Mike's, and then snuck into the Civic Center/XL (not sure when the name changed) at half time through the doors of the smoking section.

Beating a tough, ranked West Virginia team in Hartford and Bobby Huggins got tossed by the zebra late in the game. The place went nuts.

Last edited:

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
In some of my best home game memories I can't even remember who we played. About 12-14 years ago I remember a noon game in Hartford, and it was a national TV game against a big opponent - I want to say Nova or Pitt. It snowed a ton the night before, and I remember wearing my snowboard outfit (boots/gloves/hat included) to the game. I also remember being pleasantly surprised that so many people made it out to the game, despite the conditions. I was expecting a half-full building, but nope.

Reaction Score
I don't know about my favorite home win, aside from several already mentioned, but my favorite win period was at Pitt years ago, with UConn down 4, with 9 seconds to play and we pulled it out. Was great seeing Kahlid going off on the Pitt fans after the buzzer. I think it's on YouTube btw.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Like many have pointed out already, there have not been many big home wins since the 2013-2014 season. Beating Ohio St in 2016 was solid, but I don’t think that team was even ranked at the time we played them. We had some close calls though. If we finished off the comeback last year vs Cincy in Hartford, that would have ranked pretty high on the list.

Reaction Score
This was the best home win we've ever had, and the best we ever will have. This was our arrival.

I wasn't born yet when this happened. However, my dad who has been a fan since 81 and hasn't missed many home games since the 88 NIT team always ranks this game #1. Says there isn't any home games that comes close to it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just to make sure, in a thread titled "Your favorite home win?", we have one mention of a game where UConn got smoked and another where they won but a couple of states away, do I have that right?

I'd like to nominate the 1997 NIT game against VCU. They put seats in the Field House where they never put seats before. It was incredibly loud and intimidating.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I don't know about my favorite home win, aside from several already mentioned, but my favorite win period was at Pitt years ago, with UConn down 4, with 9 seconds to play and we pulled it out. Was great seeing Kahlid going off on the Pitt fans after the buzzer. I think it's on YouTube btw.

One of my top 3 wins all time not in the NCAA tourney

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom