when one door closes, another one opens | The Boneyard

when one door closes, another one opens

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm not as distraught as many people seem to be about recent transfers. I remember when we lost Ater Mojok weeks before school started in September 2010, I remember when "the wheels were falling off the program" and Roscoe Smith was advised to decommit on national television, I remember how bad our freshmen class was and how "we landed the wrong Lamb" in 2010, I remember how bleak things looked when we were banned in 2013, I remember Calhoun winning "uncoach of the year" in February 2004................

I even remember when we should withdraw from the Big East Conference in the 1980's because inner city kids were never going to choose Storrs Connecticut

I enjoy laughing at conventional wisdom, I can't wait for out next "miracle run".

PS: how many kids have left UConn and accomplished their goals? I can't think of one

Reaction Score
You are so right W99. This is not the end of the program as we know it, IMHO, as so many drama kings are making it out to be. This is a purging of the malcontents and those without the determination and desire to do things "Ollie's way". A "captain" can eventually lose his ship if he allows those who are not all-in to stay on board. When in a similar situation, many programs will make one or two moves and hope to turn the ship gradually in the right direction. We don't need guys who are unwilling to buy in and play the tough D that is UConn ball. Ollie recognized that mistakes were made and set out to correct them, only he did it in one fell swoop. It takes a bold and confident leader to do this on the scale that Ollie has. I think we'll be in a better place than we would have been, faster too, due to Ollie's multi-pronged purge. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I agree. This will go down as "The Purge of '17".

In all seriousness though, I think there will be good news coming in the next 2-3 weeks. I'm not an insider, but I have a strong feeling these moves were made in conjunction with knowledge we do not have, but Ollie and Chill do have.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
I'm not as distraught as many people seem to be about recent transfers. I remember when we lost Ater Mojok weeks before school started in September 2010, I remember when "the wheels were falling off the program" and Roscoe Smith was advised to decommit on national television, I remember how bad our freshmen class was and how "we landed the wrong Lamb" in 2010, I remember how bleak things looked when we were banned in 2013, I remember Calhoun winning "uncoach of the year" in February 2004......

I even remember when we should withdraw from the Big East Conference in the 1980's because inner city kids were never going to choose Storrs Connecticut

I enjoy laughing at conventional wisdom, I can't wait for out next "miracle run".

PS: how many kids have left UConn and accomplished their goals? I can't think of one
Thank you Willie.

Reaction Score
Well the door is wide open, let's see who walks through it. It really is a no lose situation for the new asst coach. He was dealt a disaster and he has a chance to really make a statement (or work a miracle) with who he brings in.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
you have a weird sense of "the best."
sad_orange_by_leoveanul.jpg

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Nice post. The hysteria has been something else. I understand it, to an extent. This was not the year we hoped. However, you can't deny injuries did play some part in that, regardless of how much of a part it played. We lose three guys, and a recruit. I have no doubts we will fill the holes left over and they will be a stronger team for it.

Again, I have heard that the team quit on the season. Ollie likely felt it was necessary to make some changes. I don't understand why people would fault him for doing that. I also think it's fair to say that even if everyone stayed, we would not be thinking national title.

All I say, is give it time. I don't see how people can claim this program is in shambles while we still have months until the season to recruit and get some GTs.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="BaZZnBOAT, post: 2140464, member: 7724 We lose three guys, and a recruit. I have no doubts we will fill the holes left over and they will be a stronger team for it.[/QUOTE]
Not really sure how losing 4 top 100 guys in a week and having to scramble over this next month just to have enough bodies for practice = stronger team. We are absolutely screwed next year unless we hit grad transfer gold.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Not really sure how losing 4 top 100 guys in a week and having to scramble over this next month just to have enough bodies for practice = stronger team. We are absolutely screwed next year unless we hit grad transfer gold.

Because it's obvious those players did not want to be here IN THE FIRST PLACE. Also, you can make the argument that much of the rankings of recruits don't matter, and our history is evident of that. I'm inclined to think the coaching staff has a more sophisticated evaluation system then "Well, he's #82 on ESPN"

Reaction Score
Because it's obvious those players did not want to be here IN THE FIRST PLACE. Also, you can make the argument that much of the rankings of recruits don't matter, and our history is evident of that. I'm inclined to think the coaching staff has a more sophisticated evaluation system then "Well, he's #82 on ESPN"
Ok.

We lost the recruit we prioritized for the 2017 class. We lost the big man that Ollie hyped up as the next elite big man at UConn. We lost a player who was regarded as the best 3-point shooter in the 2016 class, and shot 40% his freshman year. We lost a big man who held offers from Florida, Indiana, Kansas, and Louisville before tearing his ACL a second time. But yes, nothing to see here.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Ok.

We lost the recruit we prioritized for the 2017 class. We lost the big man that Ollie hyped up as the next elite big man at UConn. We lost a player who was regarded as the best 3-point shooter in the 2016 class, and shot 40% his freshman year. We lost a big man who held offers from Florida, Indiana, Kansas, and Louisville before tearing his ACL a second time. But yes, nothing to see here.

1) Losing MAL is unfortunate, but to think we are not going to fill his spot with another recruit is ludicrous.

2) Enoch does not have good work ethic and that is obvious by his play. Also, what is Ollie supposed to say? "Yeah, he's alright. I don't think he will be that good." Be realistic.

3) Losing Vance hurts. We get Larrier back, though, and we also have an opportunity to grab a more polished shooter (Johnson from Pitt, Elijah Brown, etc.) In other words, he is replaceable.

4) Are you trying to say that Durham before and after ACL injuries are the same player? This is obviously not the case.

I understand you need every and any reason to complain. It is the UConn fanbase way these days, it seems. I am inclined to think there is a bigger plan going on, finding players that better fit the mold.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
1) Losing MAL is unfortunate, but to think we are not going to fill his spot with another recruit is ludicrous.

2) Enoch does not have good work ethic and that is obvious by his play. Also, what is Ollie supposed to say? "Yeah, he's alright. I don't think he will be that good." Be realistic.

3) Losing Vance hurts. We get Larrier back, though, and we also have an opportunity to grab a more polished shooter (Johnson from Pitt, Elijah Brown, etc.) In other words, he is replaceable.

4) Are you trying to say that Durham before and after ACL injuries are the same player? This is obviously not the case.

I understand you need every and any reason to complain. It is the UConn fanbase way these days, it seems. I am inclined to think there is a bigger plan going on, finding players that better fit the mold.

1) We are not filling MAL spot with anyone near his pedigree.
2) In one statement you say you're going to trust the coaches and their judgment, then the next sentence you say you don't believe him based on the Enoch comments.
3) Jackson was bad defensively but steadily improved offensively all season. Again, another highly rated recruit you aren't likely to replace.
4) Are you trying to say Larrier (and Gilbert) will be the same players before and after their ACLs?

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
2) In one statement you say you're going to trust the coaches and their judgment, then the next sentence you say you don't believe him based on the Enoch comments.
3) Jackson was bad defensively but steadily improved offensively all season. Again, another highly rated recruit you aren't likely to replace.
4) Are you trying to say Larrier (and Gilbert) will be the same players before and after their ACLs?

1) If we get a 2018 guard close to his "pedigree", then all is well. We don't necessarily need him this year.

2) I'm just saying that the coaching staff usually speak highly of their players. You can't harp on every word. In terms of their recruiting ability and assessment I do trust them. Enoch looked good and physically has the tools, but he is behind the curve in terms of his development and they also can not truly gauge a player's work ethic until they are on campus.

3) In the short term, with a transfer, I think he is replaceable. I do agree that he is a loss and I liked watching him play.

4) Gilbert had a shoulder issue, first of all. But Durham tore his ACL twice. Most schools would have pulled the scholly. We did not. It's very evident that he is still a bit timid given his prior history of injury. I think there is a possibility that Gilbert and Larrier might not be as impactful as they were before injuries. I think where Durham eventually ends up will give us an idea of where his game is now.

Reaction Score
here's the optimistic take...

1) We have a really solid three guard rotation with CV, Jalen, and Gilbert. MAL would have made that better, but I was never all that blown away with him either. If we can grab Harris, who looks like more of a pure point, then losing MAL is not that big of a deal.

2) Larrier hopefully returns to his self prior injury. We did not see much of him, but it was obvious that he was very talented. Once he is back, we should actually have another player who can be a triple threat. Losing Vance sucks as he was going to be another guy (with improvement) who could be a multi-faceted scorer.

3) Up front, Cobb (on paper) is someone who we have not had in a long time. He should be able to take some space, set some thunder screens, and catch and finish as needed. Slightly bigger Eric Hayward? I'd be down. I liked Durham, but I am very, very reticent that he will ever be 60% of what he was pre-ACLs. He was a soft player to begin with, now factor that he doesn't trust his legs? Not good. For his sake, I hope he finds himself, but I am not surprised that KO (supposedly) said this is not the place for you. If Diarra is healthy, then I'm optimistic that he is better than his rankings. The undersized power forward is always very undervalued in the stupid star system due to professional potential. But give me a worker inside who wants to board any day of the week over a guy with "potential."

4) As someone has said, I do not think KO is cleaning house without knowing that there are options out there. Miller for Coach Chill could be a major upgrade in time. While some of the recruiting names we are hearing a bit lower ranked, they are interesting prospects. I also really trust Chillious as he discovered Fultz and took two guys who were not as well known (Chriss and Murray) who both became first-round picks. The other Diarra looks interesting and I really like the Sandro... If Chillious can grab a guard and a big who know how to play, then we could be a sleeper.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
I'm not as distraught as many people seem to be about recent transfers. I remember when we lost Ater Mojok weeks before school started in September 2010, I remember when "the wheels were falling off the program" and Roscoe Smith was advised to decommit on national television, I remember how bad our freshmen class was and how "we landed the wrong Lamb" in 2010, I remember how bleak things looked when we were banned in 2013, I remember Calhoun winning "uncoach of the year" in February 2004......

I remember when UConn wasn't in the American Athletic Conference and the Power 5 didn't have the NCAA by the balls. The past is the past.

Reaction Score

Blake Harris looks pretty good, but just because he is ranked 100 spots lower makes him so much worse right? His offer list is actually more impressive than MAL, which I like to look at. I'd take Harris or Tremont over him honestly. Those guys can dribble with both hands and actually have a jumpshot. MAL isn't better than any of the guards on the roster either, and people forget how good Gilbert and Larrier are. They played two-three games before their injuries (Gilbert was shoulder, not ACL)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Blake Harris looks pretty good, but just because he is ranked 100 spots lower makes him so much worse right? His offer list is actually more impressive than MAL, which I like to look at. I'd take Harris or Tremont over him honestly. Those guys can dribble with both hands and actually have a jumpshot. MAL isn't better than any of the guards on the roster either, and people forget how good Gilbert and Larrier are. They played two-three games before their injuries (Gilbert was shoulder, not ACL)

To clarify - I meant injuries, not ACLs for both Larrier and Gilbert. To be honest, I'm concerned about Gilbert considering this is the 3rd time he's had the shoulder pop out. I think Larrier should be ok.

I look at offers more than recruiting rankings for college football rather than college hoops. Just a different game given the numbers of different players/positions. In college hoops, especially with the higher ranked players, there's less degree of error for a hit and miss. It's not really linear (same with baseball prospects).

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Durham's body reminds me of those towers that we used to build in science class out of spaghetti and marshmallows. I think he could probably support 7 washers or so before collapsing in a sticky mess.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Who do we blame for selecting the 4 wrong players, having a breakup, & a reset in April. That's not an easy way to make next years tournament.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ok.

That one's not much of a justification. Because he wasn't. Ollie also called Purvis a 'Ferrari', which couldn't be further from the truth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom