When do we hear the redshirt decision on Morgan? | The Boneyard

When do we hear the redshirt decision on Morgan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Are we sure that UConn has already applied for it?

Reaction Score
I'm sure the school has staff dedicated to handling such NCAA matters. I doubt Morgan has been forgotten about (unless you count her and Stewie getting locked in a storage unit). The reason we probably don't hear anything about it is it's routine, it takes time like anything else involving the NCAA, and really it's an administrative thing.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the school has staff dedicated to handling such NCAA matters. I doubt Morgan has been forgotten about (unless you count her and Stewie getting locked in a storage unit). The reason we probably don't hear anything about it is it's routine, it takes time like anything else involving the NCAA, and really it's an administrative thing.

Storage unit? I must have missed that. :eek:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I know that there seems to be widespread certainty of her getting the extra year.

But: we played 31 games in the regular season. Several posters have noted
that she played in game 16. Playing in a game after the halfway point of the regular season is a no-no......yes?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I know that there seems to be widespread certainty of her getting the extra year.

that she played in game 16. Playing in a game after the halfway point of the regular season is a no-no.yes?

In looking around for the definition, I found this on the official Uconn site.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/morgan_tuck_807031.html

Was forced to miss all but eight games due to knee injuries. Was granted a medical redshirt for the 2013-14 season and will have three years of eligibility remaining beginning with the 2014-15

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
DD...thank you !!!

That adds Morgan to the Saniya class....with just Breanna and MoJeff as juniors next year.
Great news.

Reaction Score
Tuck is going to be crazy good by her 5th year (assuming she stays the extra year). That's almost unfair given her wide range of skills. But I'll take it!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Tuck is going to be crazy good by her 5th year (assuming she stays the extra year). That's almost unfair given her wide range of skills. But I'll take it!
I just keep thinking of her last game this year. 19 points, 3-4 3pt, in only 13 minutes.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
DD...thank you !!!

That adds Morgan to the Saniya class....with just Breanna and MoJeff as juniors next year.
Great news.

That's an underlooked part of this. Classes of ONE are not great for the program as they often lead to massive classes in another year. Balance is best. Course if we get 5 of the top ten recruits in one year, no one will be complaining.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart ‏@bre_stewart30 16h
Me and @M_Tuck3 would get locked inside of the storage place
1f613.png
pic.twitter.com/PQ30nYZ1tb

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Can she apply for a Red-Shirt again if she is unable to play this coming season?

Reaction Score
Can she apply for a Red-Shirt again if she is unable to play this coming season?

No, because of the 5 to play 4 rule which means a student athlete has up to five academic years to use the four years of athletic eligibility.

Reaction Score
No, because of the 5 to play 4 rule which means a student athlete has up to five academic years to use the four years of athletic eligibility.

Ummm...no.

Though a common misnomer, this isn't actually redshirting (where the five for four rule would apply) which is where a school/player intentionally decide to sit out an entire season; since Morgan has already played part of this year, she can't go back now and declare this season as a redshirt year.

Unfortunately in Morgan's case, as an in-season injuries, UConn is not seeking a "redshirt" but rather a waiver to regain a year (or more) of eligibility lost due to medical reasons. Though generally approved, waivers are more "iffy" and in Morgan's case, while she would meet the 30% criteria, playing in game 16 may be the issue delaying the approval. In any event, this past season cannot be made into a redshirt season, but if she is granted a waiver she would still have four years of eligibility remaining in which to play three more seasons, and could redshirt next season if that seemed the best course of action.

Though it isn't very common, players that have been granted a sixth year include be Jacki Gemelos who redshirted as a freshman and then went through a brutal series of knee injuries. This year UCLA's Atonye Nyingifa and Indiana's Sasha Chaplin were among the sixth-year players, as was a more familiar AAC name, Tia Gibbs of Louisville.

Reaction Score

that she played in game 16. Playing in a game after the halfway point of the regular season is a no-no.yes?

Two things I've mentioned before:

1. The denominator in the formula is the # of regular season games plus one for the tournament. Thus 32 games and 16 is in the first half. This is cast in stone and is not the reason nothing has been announced yet.

2. Except for unusual situations, the NCAA does not make redshirt decisions, the conference does. The most likely reason for her hardship waiver not having been approved yet is that the AAC committee hasn't met yet to rubber stamp it. Also UConn may have only recently submitted documentation since there is no rush or deadline.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In any event, this past season cannot be made into a redshirt season, but if she is granted a waiver she would still have four years of eligibility remaining in which to play three more seasons, and could redshirt next season if that seemed the best course of action.

Not exactly. Getting a hardship waiver does not automatically give a player four years to play three. That is normally ONLY true if another year must be missed for medical reasons, and it always requires a special ruling by an NCAA committee. Gemelos and others fit into that category. If a player sat a second year for competitive reasons, it is very unlikely they would get a 6th year.

Reaction Score
I hadn't thought of that, but that would be awesome if it happened!
with the great 2014 class and now the "bigs" from the 2015 class is shaping out to help all the guards/wings players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom