When Brimah came in with 7 minutes to go in the first half he completely changed the game. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

When Brimah came in with 7 minutes to go in the first half he completely changed the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Brimah has some big flaws and I'm now more doubtful he will ever grow out of them. But, some of you just constitutionally can not stand anything positive being said about him. Someone speaks to a positive aspect of his game, and he does have them, and it is an itch you cannot avoid scratching.
He is the equivalent to mentioning the women's team here. Mention it and the torrents begin.

Reaction Score
He's actually better than half a rebound this year so far. By my math he's up almost 4 extra per 40 minutes. He's only at 20 minutes per game this year and at 5.4 rebounds in 7 games. Last year he was at 26 minutes, 4.4 rebounds in 35 games. Rebound rate seems to be up about 3% in total (all on the defensive end, meaning +6.5% on the defensive end).

Through the first seven last year he averaged 4.8 rebounds per game in 28 minutes per game. Now I'm not going to argue they are exactly the same quality of opponent, but I think they are similar through the first seven. Bryant, College of Charleston, Yale, Coppin State, WVU, Dayton and Texas last year. Maine, NHU, Furman, Sacred Heart, Michigan, Cuse and Gonzaga. The eighth game last year was Duke, this year Maryland. BTW, that Coppin State game boosted his average a ton and was a huge outlier on the year and in the first seven games. If we were talking just first six, his average would have been around 3.7. So far this year the spread has been much tighter at 4, 5x3, 6x2, 7.

I'm not saying he can't get better, but he seems to have improved a significant amount on the boards.

I'd also argue with better rebounders around him this year, his rebounding should be going down, not up. So maybe he's improved even more than the numbers show. Definitely something to track this year though.
By the KenPom numbers, he's actually a better defensive rebounder this year. His DR% is up to 16.0 this year - up from 11.1 his freshman year and 10.8 his sophomore year. Offensive rebound % is about the same: 10.3 this year, 9.6 last year, and 10.3 freshman year.

Reaction Score
By the KenPom numbers, he's actually a better defensive rebounder this year. His DR% is up to 16.0 this year - up from 11.1 his freshman year and 10.8 his sophomore year. Offensive rebound % is about the same: 10.3 this year, 9.6 last year, and 10.3 freshman year.

"but he's not improving or developing"...

Reaction Score
The guy is n elite shot blocker and changer and AAC Defensive Player of the Year.

But I guess the eye test is more important.

Reaction Score
Easy. Both Emeka and Thabeet were monster rebounders who had offensive games that were infinitely more developed by the time they left than Brimah's is now. People associate that game-changing shot-blocking with all of the other attributes of a dominant college center who gets picked at #2 in the NBA Draft. Basically, they expect the full package.

This goes back to my point that I made a week or so ago, people are mad that he's not as good as two players that were considered better than him coming out of HS/entering college, I can't recall another UConn player that is or was held to that standard.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This goes back to my point that I made a week or so ago, people are mad that he's not as good as two players that were considered better than him coming out of HS/entering college, I can't recall another UConn player that is held to that standard.
I don't know about that. I'd say people are more upset at the lack of improvement moreso than expectations, warranted or not. He's essentially the same player he was as a freshman.

Reaction Score
I don't know about that. I'd say people are more upset at the lack of improvement moreso than expectations, warranted or not. He's essentially the same player he was as a freshman.

Except he's not, he has improved and the numbers have shown that. But I'm not going to go through this mindless argument again so I'll end it now with we'll agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
He is much better in numerous demonstrable ways. Just look at his ability to stay in games. It's a vast improvement. And the fouls he gets now are much less of the WTF variety. He is a dependable scorer with an insane FG percentage. His rebounding is better, this year per 40 minutes it's over 10 a game.

All his numbers are better than freshman year. Geez Louise.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Except he's not, he has improved and the numbers have shown that. But I'm not going to go through this mindless argument again so I'll end it now with we'll agree to disagree.

The problem is, people's expectations for him are growing exponentially. What's enough improvement for some of us is far off from what others are expecting of him.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not one of those Brimah haters whatsoever but I truly believe he should be coming off the bench and Facey should start over him.

I think this would eliminate our slow starts. We will have arguably our 3 best rebounders on the floor to start (Dham, Miller, Facey), limiting the opposition to second chance points early on.

Also, besides Facey playing great recently which is why I believe he deserves the shot, Brimah is known for intensity, energy and defense. Bring the energy and defense off the bench a few minutes into the game and it could change the game in an instant. Moreover, bringing Brimah off the bench eliminates the possibility of him getting 2 fouls within the first 2-3 minutes and us losing him for the rest of the first half - especially vs. top competition.

I'm sure most will think I'm crazy for this but I actually think it would work out very well.
I agree with the logic of all your points, but I also like establishing precedent that nothing will be easy in the paint as early as possible. Pretty good reasoning on your part though.

Reaction Score
He's "slightly better" at best for all of you lovers who by the way, can't stand when anyone DARES to say he's just not getting better in the way we need him to. These are the same people who make fun of those who just don't see the remarkable improvement.

Hey Larry Brown, passion (I love his passion too but it doesn't win games see Gonzaga and Cuse) blah blah blah. Well we don't need to ask the staff now do we? I mean for those that are so happy with his ability to stay out of foul trouble please enlighten my on why his minutes are down if he's so much better? Way down mind you so guess what - I'm not the only one who sees something!;)

When there is something positive I will say it and have. But quit the smoke blowing show will ya! Did you see the UCLA red headed center - that's improvement!

Reaction Score
He's "slightly better" at best for all of you lovers who by the way, can't stand when anyone DARES to say he's just not getting better in the way we need him to. These are the same people who make fun of those who just don't see the remarkable improvement.

Hey Larry Brown, passion (I love his passion too but it doesn't win games see Gonzaga and Cuse) blah blah blah. Well we don't need to ask the staff now do we? I mean for those that are so happy with his ability to stay out of foul trouble please enlighten my on why his minutes are down if he's so much better? Way down mind you so guess what - I'm not the only one who sees something!;)

When there is something positive I will say it and have. But quit the smoke blowing show will ya! Did you see the UCLA red headed center - that's improvement!
Who, the former McDonald's All-American?

Reaction Score
Who, the former McDonald's All-American?

I know McD's AA's are always so spot on? The guy was a stiff last year at 3.8/3.8 and is now 13.1/6.8 and you saw what he did last night I'm guessing. As I said.....you want improvement, that's what I'm talking about.

Reaction Score
Perhaps the minutes are down because we have blown out our cupcakes this year.

Regardless, here are the numbers, 8.1 points pg, 5.4 rebounds pg, 3 blocks pg, a ridiculous .719 from the field, .846 from the stripe, 0.9 TOs per game. Very nice numbers on a team where Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, Adams, and Miller make him -at best- the 6th scoring option. And, of course, he is the defending DPOY in the conference and playing good defense.

But it is a fans right to gripe, so have at it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I mean for those that are so happy with his ability to stay out of foul trouble please enlighten my on why his minutes are down if he's so much better? Way down mind you so guess what - I'm not the only one who sees something!

This is likely a direct relationship of the fact that they have more viable pieces down low now. Miller wasn't here before, Facey is now a dynamic sub off the bench. Enoch is an athletic marvel and deserves a little burn. And of course, Nolan is still around. Top that off with Hamilton at the occasional 4 spot, and there's less minutes to be had for everybody.

Reaction Score
Perhaps the minutes are down because we have blown out our cupcakes this year.

Regardless, here are the numbers, 8.1 points pg, 5.4 rebounds pg, 3 blocks pg, a ridiculous .719 from the field, .846 from the stripe, 0.9 TOs per game. Very nice numbers on a team where Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, Adams, and Miller make him -at best- the 6th scoring option. And, of course, he is the defending DPOY in the conference and playing good defense.

But it is a fans right to gripe, so have at it.

Since you pointed out the "cupcakes" let's take a look. Of his 21 blocks 17 of them are vs. Maine (9), UNH, Furman and SHU I believe those are the cupcakes correct? Of his 57 points 38 of those are vs cupcakes. But it's your guys right to tell me I'm not close and he's much more improved than I actually am seeing :eek: . In order vs Michigan, Cuse and Gonaga blocks in each game - 0-3-1. Yeah he's scaring the piss out of people with that block party vs the good teams.

I want him to be better I do, and obviously many of you really do and see only what you want rather than say "we really do need more from the 5" - That's all I am saying, we will not beat a lot of good teams without him getting better, he was a part of the plan and having the same guy does not help this team accomplish goals despite how many good players we do have. Imagine not even Thabeet or Emeka, just Jake V setting solid picks so the guards and wings can get open, playing physical man defense on the low block without getting pushed around, being able to pass the ball to Miller because he can pass? I'm not asking for much, just think we will eventually be better off letting Steve E go in and learn trial by error.

Reaction Score
It's always the guy propping up the losing argument that relies on some vague "eye test" completely divorced from objective information.

Reaction Score
It's always the guy propping up the losing argument that relies on some vague "eye test" completely divorced from objective information.

Objective info posted. Take 18 points, 7 rebounds and 9 blocks vs Maine out of the equation and then tell me who's losing?;)

Not here to win anything or prove anything, I just want more form our 5 who is now a junior. Upon fans should want more too because we're used to it. Tough love, this isn't a first for any one player.

Reaction Score
If we don't have a low post offensive threat it takes away from what everyone else tries to do. That said Brimah has value and alters what teams try to do with his blocking. Since now I think Brimah is back next year, we can't shut out Enoch from the experience and floor time he needs this year. He has to be part of the rotation and since Facey is deserving and playing well then Amida's minutes have to go down as Phil's also will. Who is in favor if burying Enoch this year? It would be a mistake. Some of the coach analysts are already noticing his potential.

Reaction Score
If we don't have a low post offensive threat it takes away from what everyone else tries to do. That said Brimah has value and alters what teams try to do with his blocking. Since now I think Brimah is back next year, we can't shut out Enoch from the experience and floor time he needs this year. He has to be part of the rotation and since Facey is deserving and playing well then Amida's minutes have to go down as Phil's also will. Who is in favor if burying Enoch this year? It would be a mistake. Some of the coach analysts are already noticing his potential.

Enoch needs more minutes and I like Facey right where he is. He seems much more comfortable coming off the bench done exactly what he is doing now.

Reaction Score
I am a big advocate of Enoch. Part of the reason our offense bogs down is that it is 5-4 sometimes. Enoch needs minutes. He is capable on offense and we hope the defense improves with playing time. Not a knock on Brimah but his ability to catch the ball or make a post move other than shooting over his left shoulder just limits our offense. I also like the minutes facey is receiving and his production

Reaction Score
"but he's not improving or developing"...
"Fails the eye test"
Digging deeper, Amida's rebounding numbers this year, although early, are actually very similar to Hilton Armstrong's senior year.

Amida
DR%: 16
OR%: 10.3

Hilton
DR%: 16.2
OR%: 8.1

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I am a big advocate of Enoch. Part of the reason our offense bogs down is that it is 5-4 sometimes. Enoch needs minutes. He is capable on offense and we hope the defense improves with playing time. Not a knock on Brimah but his ability to catch the ball or make a post move other than shooting over his left shoulder just limits our offense. I also like the minutes facey is receiving and his production

Not a knock on Brimah to say it is 5-4 with him out there?
Enoch has potential but he is green as hell. The people who are so critical of AB and want to reduce his minutes have apparently never noticed Enoch or Facey's defense. Never seen Phil's offense.
AB is our best center until Enoch surpasses him. Not yet, anyway

Reaction Score
Not a knock on Brimah to say it is 5-4 with him out there?
Enoch has potential but he is green as hell. The people who are so critical of AB and want to reduce his minutes have apparently never noticed Enoch or Facey's defense. Never seen Phil's offense.
AB is our best center until Enoch surpasses him. Not yet, anyway

Not sure of others but I have certainly noticed Facey's defense and spoke about it. But minus the blocked shots, which by the way become less of a factor when you dig down deep past Maine, AB's defense is the same. And those who would like to gush over how much of a better rebounder AB is now, let's dig down deep into Facey's rebounding numbers as well as scoring if given the minutes? Neither are good help defenders, but Kentan does come in with fire and goes to get the ball isn't grabbing rebounds flat footed. Agree on Enoch, needs time for sure although he can't hurt much given the others who also don't defend well. He looks like he will eventually be our best low post scorer while KF is our best offensive rebounder and put back big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom