3) Maryland
4) Notre Dame
5) Louisville
6) Tennessee
7) Stanford
8) Kentucky
9) California
10) Baylor

Outside Looking in: Nebraska, LSU, Vandy, UNC...

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
1 UConn will be a monster this season. Could be the best team WCBB has ever seen. Led by their defense.
2 Duke I expect Duke to struggle against ND MD and possibly UNC. I don't see enough defense.
3 ND Very well coached. Good defense. 4 starters back and an experienced bench
4Maryland A lot of questions on the players coming back from injuries. MD has to many close calls against teams they should beat

5-10 gets interesting IMO its wide open. Below comments not in any order

Tenn they will miss the leadership of Kamiko and Spani. Unless some other guard steps up Tenn will have problems. Their problems for the past 7-8 years have been at the guard position. They were last season too. Carter and someone else has to step up. Russell is a freshman and she will be up and down. Experienced players around the basket can get her in foul trouble. You need guards who can get her the ball in position where she can score.
I think the preseason workouts are going to benefit this team. Carter will be in a leadership roll. Having her back on the court will help.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
My 2 cents- I think A & M will be around 7-9th ranked and very dangerous by the end of the season. I think North Carolina has the potential to be like that young MAryland team that won th Nat Championship yrs ago in Boston I think it was. ND will be dangerous Alyssa Thomas doesn't scare me so much. Odyssey Sims is a force by herself- and can carry her team to a 6-8 I think. If UC doesn't win National Championship- I will be shocked!

Reaction Score
You think Notre Dame will be the toast of the ACC yet you believe Duke is a better team? I honestly cannot wait to see ND, Duke, and NC beat each other up this year. Especially with the physical play of ND as of late.

Yes I think on paper Duke has a better team but they don't seem to have the "fight" that notre dame has which is why I believe notre dame will be the best of the ACC but starting out the season I will give the nod to Duke

Reaction Score
1. Uconn
2. ND
3. Duke
4. TN
5. Louisville
I'll stop at 5.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think the preseason workouts are going to benefit this team. Carter will be in a leadership roll. Having her back on the court will help.
SO long as Tenn has an undisciplined guard who jacks up shots at ill advised times they will struggle. With Graves and Burdick who can put up points plays should be set up for them in crucial situations. The guards need to create plays and play perimeter defense. Tenn will win a lot of games with only 2 games against top 10 teams. Don't be fooled by their record. With their roster they should cake walk through the SEC and they wont unless they make some changes at the guard position. Because of their schedule which isn't very difficult they should maintain a high ranking.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Preseason workouts benefits all teams.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
SO long as Tenn has an undisciplined guard who jacks up shots at ill advised times they will struggle. With Graves and Burdick who can put up points plays should be set up for them in crucial situations. The guards need to create plays and play perimeter defense. Tenn will win a lot of games with only 2 games against top 10 teams. Don't be fooled by their record. With their roster they should cake walk through the SEC and they wont unless they make some changes at the guard position. Because of their schedule which isn't very difficult they should maintain a high ranking.
I think you are going to be surprised at how this team plays.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Stwainfan, please stop treating this board like a Tennessee promotion board. I really think it's unnecessary. Others might not agree, but I find it rude you post them here.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Stwainfan, please stop treating this board like a Tennessee promotion board. I really think it's unnecessary. Others might not agree, but I find it rude you post them here.
Sorry I did edit the post.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The LVs have to learn how to play as a team on both sides of the ball. What amazed me in the NCAAs last season was that Tenn and Baylor had a big in the middle and never came out and played perimeter defense on Lville. UConn did. When the game got tight MS thought she could bring them back alone and tried to be that go to player. That's not playing as a team. You can get all the top players you want but if you don't play as a team you will lose. It all starts with the guards and if Carter can start that might be the difference. Having the talent is one thing, developing the talent into a team is something coaches need to do. ND played UConn tuff because they could pass the ball and dribble penetrate. The big reason UConn lost so many games to ND was ND lived at the foul line, many times with good acting jobs. Lville had good guards, that could make plays and find an open teammate. If Baylor and Tenn had played perimeter defense they most likely would've won .

Reaction Score
1- UConn--For obvious reasons
2- Duke--More depth than ANY team in the country. Can they overcome questionable coaching?
3-Tennessee--Great balance from point to post. Improved defense. Second year under Holly's system
4-Stanford--Returning Chiney and Samuelson. Who will step up for Koekenis
5-Notre Dame--Great talent and depth, but who will lead the point guard?
6-Maryland--Returning Thomas and getting injured players back, but Brenda Frese...
7-Kentucky--Lose only Mathies, gain Harper and Epps. They will be better than last year by the end if posts improve.
8-Nebraska--I really like Nebraska and Hooper. This team plays hard and has a favorable schedule.
9-Cal--A team definitely on the rise. Courtney Range will be very good.
10-UNC--Could be Top 3 team by the end of the year, but how will talent gel. Can Hatchell coach this team to their potential?

Reaction Score

I don't think anyone here is going to be surprised. Talent has never been a problem for Tennessee; its team chemistry and how all the talent is linked together in the form of team play that has kept Tennessee from reaching the final four the last few years that is the problem. If Tennessee can correct these problems then they will be a very good team with a better then average chance of reaching the final four.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone here is going to be surprised. Talent has never been a problem for Tennessee; its team chemistry and how all the talent is linked together in the form of team play that has kept Tennessee from reaching the final four the last few years that is the problem. If Tennessee can correct these problems then they will be a very good team with a better then average chance of reaching the final four.
Well the UNC game will be the first national TV game. So we will see how the team looks. I really like the things I've heard from preseason reports.

Reaction Score
Well the UNC game will be the first national TV game. So we will see how the team looks. I really like the things I've heard from preseason reports.
I think TN will definitely be a top-5, but not a national championship team this year. TN, Duke, Notre Dame will probably have to wait for the 2014-15 year after Hartley and Dolson graduate for a more realistic chance at a championship.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It's always good to check back on all the preseason predictions for the year before to see whether this penchant for predicting the future makes us look like wise sages or unhappy mediums.

Amazingly, considering the fact that absolutely no one was putting Baylor anywhere except #1 last year, many of the more respected polls did a very commendable job at painting a reasonably accurate picture of the season's outcome. There are certainly some services like "WCBB is an afterthought that we care a gnat's burro about" Athlon that completely upchuck into the wind, but SI's Richard Deitsch on the day after the 2012 NC in April put out his picks and was fantastic. AP and USA\Today had extremely similar top 10s and both also did a decent job of stacking up the final outcome pretty closely. Now, one might say in the "totally predictable" WCBB, it's not that hard to have pretty accurate predictions that get most of the top 10 at least named if not sorted right, but there have been years that have been way off, so it's no mean feat. Interestingly, the one final poll top 10 team that tended to be ranked outside the top 15 in preseason rankings was UTenn, but this was probably partly a reaction to the Vols being a big disappointment the year before and having a highly heralded class graduate with little to show for their time in Knoxville.

More instructive is how the polls are received on the BY, and where the most derision comes from. For the SI picks last year, there were two placements especially that raised ire, Louisville at #4 and Delaware at #10, and both teams were generally buried much much further down the list for internal BYers, while the Dukies and other external posters generally were a little more respecting of the two teams. The Cards of course went to the NC and finished #3 in the final polls, disappointing their legions of detractors. Delaware struggled early and seemingly there was justice in the bile spewed here about the "one-player" team, but a 27-game winning streak that took them through to an upset of UNC and then an exit in the Sweet 16 and a final ranking of #13 in the polls shows that the #10 preseason pick was not exactly looney. Far more absurd was Athlon's ranking Ohio State at preseason #4 last year, only to have the Buckeyes dive down somewhere around the #40 level. Athlon did nail Delaware at #13 however, so I guess the blind squirrel analogy can be thrown in there. ND, which entered last season ranked between #6 and #9 in the polls also received a moderate amount of flak here, but much of it was centered on the relative weakness in the post, which the Irish learned to deal with pretty well.

Digging up last year's clunker statements is a bit unfair to everyone, but even though my comment that Prairie View would likely end up at the top did not work last year, I will make it again on the one-gazillionth of a quintillion chance that it comes true, leading to me being acknowledeged Lord of the Universe and Mr. MegaBrain. Those odds aren't really that bad.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
1- UConn--For obvious reasons
2- Duke--More depth than ANY team in the country. Can they overcome questionable coaching?
3-Tennessee--Great balance from point to post. Improved defense. Second year under Holly's system
4-Stanford--Returning Chiney and Samuelson. Who will step up for Koekenis
5-Notre Dame--Great talent and depth, but who will lead the point guard?
6-Maryland--Returning Thomas and getting injured players back, but Brenda Frese...
7-Kentucky--Lose only Mathies, gain Harper and Epps. They will be better than last year by the end if posts improve.
8-Nebraska--I really like Nebraska and Hooper. This team plays hard and has a favorable schedule.
9-Cal--A team definitely on the rise. Courtney Range will be very good.
10-UNC--Could be Top 3 team by the end of the year, but how will talent gel. Can Hatchell coach this team to their potential?

No Louisville?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
You said that last year. And the year before. And the year before. Etc,etc.
A quote about workouts.

"He's pushing us extremely hard, getting us out of our comfort zones and getting us uncomfortable, because that's the only way we're going to get better," Burdick said. "He's done a great job of on-the-court conditioning, strength in the weight room, agility and defensive work.
Also when was the last Tennessee had a 6'6" player who could guard on the floor? Who could hit a ten to fifteen foot shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom