What's the likelihood of going undefeated? (2) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What's the likelihood of going undefeated? (2)

What's the likelihood of another undefeated season?

• 100%

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • 80%

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • 60%

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • 40%

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • 20%

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • 0%

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Easy to criticize Butler, and maybe she can`t hold up to quality competition all the time, but you apparently missed the Baylor game. Without her we would not be undefeated and could be 8-3.

I totally agree. She played really well against the Baylor bigs and without her the game could have ended differently. Butler would have a place on my team any day of the week.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Don't forget that Baylor was within 4 points of UCONN with three and a half minutes left in the game, so there was little separating the teams. And that was with Kalani Brown saddled with foul trouble and getting 0 points from Nina Davis, which I can't see happening again. Baylor had more room for improvement going away from that game than UCONN did. And I find it unlikely that Dangerfied will drop 19 on Baylor again. Watch out for the Bear attack.

I voted 80%. I think Baylor nips UCONN in the championship game.

How do you vote 80% chance but think UConn loses in the NC game?? By definition, does that not mean < 50%

I voted 60% with the only potential loss I see at MD. No way SC beats us at home. They are completely psyched out before the game even begins and once in the tournament, no team looks ready to grab it from us.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This is a fun exercise, but requires far too many assumptions. If the team stays healthy, and if the starters can play 40 minutes in every game, they will go undefeated. The likelihood of this is low. Soniya has already missed games and she won't be the only one. Everytime we play, our kids are diving for loose balls or taking charges, and winding up on the floor. It is easy to tweak something in that environment.

I think we have also learned the following:

1. Butler is not a good athlete or basketball player, and a liability on offense. Her hand/eye co-ordination is non existent, and she turns the ball over as often as she gets a rebound. She tries hard and works hard, but I cringe when her teammates try to feed her, because she bungles those plays every time. She can eat some minutes with little harm against the dregs of the AAC, but cannot hold up in quality competition.
2. Soniya is a decent senior point guard. She has lost her shooters' confidence and will score, mostly, on lay-ups and free throws. But she plays defense well, and does not turn the ball over.
3. Crystal is a true talent, in freshman clothing. Needs time and experience. But her skills are enormous.
4. Molly and Irwin must emerge as more than ," players running around and successfully passing the ball to someone else."

Otherwise, this is a 6 player team, and no one can go undefeated with such thin depth. In my view, that is.

Y'all made it work in 2014 with a 5.5 man roster of Jefferson/Hartley/KML/Stewart/Dolson and the limited use of Stokes.

Starters are going to get a lot of rest in conference play. Most games the'll sit for a good chunk of the 2nd half and you'll see Irwin/Butler/Bent getting lots of playing time in blowout wins.

Also, even if there are injuries, I only see 5 games left of the schedule that have a chance be competitive:
@ Maryland
vs. South Carolina
Elite 8 at home
Final Four
Championship

The rest of the games will likely be comfortable wins for UCONN where starters do not need to play 35-40 minutes a night. I don't see anyone getting injured prior to the Maryland game in a week, and even if one of the 6 gets injured, I still think they beat South Carolina. As long as the 6 are healthy by the end of March, that shouldn't be an issue.

Reaction Score
Y'all made it work in 2014 with a 5.5 man roster of Jefferson/Hartley/KML/Stewart/Dolson and the limited use of Stokes.

Starters are going to get a lot of rest in conference play. Most games the'll sit for a good chunk of the 2nd half and you'll see Irwin/Butler/Bent getting lots of playing time in blowout wins.

Also, even if there are injuries, I only see 5 games left of the schedule that have a chance be competitive:
@ Maryland
vs. South Carolina
Elite 8 at home
Final Four
Championship

The rest of the games will likely be comfortable wins for UCONN where starters do not need to play 35-40 minutes a night. I don't see anyone getting injured prior to the Maryland game in a week, and even if one of the 6 gets injured, I still think they beat South Carolina. As long as the 6 are healthy by the end of March, that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm glad your a UCONN fan in disguise because Tenn will finish near the bottom of the SEC this year :). So at least you will have something to cheer for LOL

Reaction Score
I'm glad your a UCONN fan in disguise because Tenn will finish near the bottom of the SEC this year :). So at least you will have something to cheer for LOL
I thought bballnut90 gave a good analysis of the uconn season so far. Mentioning of South Carolina in this thread had nothing to do with the rivalry with Tennessee. From what I have seen this year from SC. I would say bb90 is on point about SC. If Uconn gets past Maryland on the 29th they will go undeated in the regular season. No way they lose to SC at Gampel ( 18 losses since 1990 ). South Carolina walking into GP for the first time in 2 years and to look up and see not 9 NC Banners but 2 more. I dont know if South Carolina could ignore them this time or if they will ever have one of their own. Tennnesse is off to a slow start and is struggling but they did last year also. They had 13 losses going into the tournament but they still made the Elite 8. South Carolina who won the SEC could not make it out of the Sweet 16. Since Pat Summit was unable to coach the name on the front of the jersey may not intimidate like in the past but they still have 8 NCs and the rest of the SEC has a big fat Zero. A little Respect!

Reaction Score
Longtime Fan made some valid points - the same things I've noted wrt Butler. I giggled when the TV commentators last night compared her to Dolson. Her hands aren't good and she can't haul in anything that's not a perfectly thrown soft chest high pass. She also misses way too many point blank shots for my liking even though a lot of times she's the biggest kid on the court at 6' 5" and has a good position. Whenever she puts in on the floor I'm like why???????? Stef and Tuck were so dominant in the post because they established position, could haul in just about any pass thrown their way, turn and shoot without needing to dribble it. By the time someone tried to defend them they were already going up with the ball and were either fouled or got a relatively easy bucket. I'm sure CD and Marissa are working hard with her, and she tries hard, but it's her fourth year of college ball, third with UConn, and I'm not really expecting much more from her than to spell Gabby and Collier and to take up space in the lane when we face teams with size. Maybe there will be a huge second half improvement, who knows, but next year the talented 6' 6" Stevens will be eligible so she's gonna have to figure it out soon. As far as Crystal Dangerfield, yeah huge upside there. Wish she'd relax a little though - a bit too showy when it's not necessary and she's like that QB with a rifle for an arm who throws so hard that the passes are often uncatchable.
I agree on Natalie. It is very frustrating to watch her turn her 6'5" frame into a 5'6" player under the rim. What's with all the pump fakes??

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This is a fun exercise, but requires far too many assumptions. If the team stays healthy, and if the starters can play 40 minutes in every game, they will go undefeated. The likelihood of this is low. Soniya has already missed games and she won't be the only one. Everytime we play, our kids are diving for loose balls or taking charges, and winding up on the floor. It is easy to tweak something in that environment.

I think we have also learned the following:

1. Butler is not a good athlete or basketball player, and a liability on offense. Her hand/eye co-ordination is non existent, and she turns the ball over as often as she gets a rebound. She tries hard and works hard, but I cringe when her teammates try to feed her, because she bungles those plays every time. She can eat some minutes with little harm against the dregs of the AAC, but cannot hold up in quality competition.
2. Soniya is a decent senior point guard. She has lost her shooters' confidence and will score, mostly, on lay-ups and free throws. But she plays defense well, and does not turn the ball over.

Otherwise, this is a 6 player team, and no one can go undefeated with such thin depth. In my view, that is.

Longtime Fan made some valid points - the same things I've noted wrt Butler.
[mod edit] Granted Butler is no Dolson, but . . .

Her hand/eye co-ordination is non existent, and she turns the ball over as often as she gets a rebound.

This statement right there proves my point. Butler avg 4.7 rpg vs 1.5 t/opg. You two obviously have no clue.

She can eat some minutes with little harm against the dregs of the AAC, but cannot hold up in quality competition.

Umm, hello McFly, she already has. We haven't played any AAC teams yet, who do you think we've been playing? Have you even watched a game yet this year???

Soniya .... But she plays defense well,

Ehhh, no. She has improved this year and does "ok", but Chong is not one of our better defenders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
An undefeated season is no guarantee of the NC. Come tournament time, the ranked teams UConn has defeated in OOC will all be a lot better than they were when we played them. UConn will be a lot better too, but the early season wins will not automatically translate into tournament wins. As others have already posted: the only undefeated streak that means anything is the one in the tournament.

Reaction Score
I thought bballnut90 gave a good analysis of the uconn season so far. Mentioning of South Carolina in this thread had nothing to do with the rivalry with Tennessee. From what I have seen this year from SC. I would say bb90 is on point about SC. If Uconn gets past Maryland on the 29th they will go undeated in the regular season. No way they lose to SC at Gampel ( 18 losses since 1990 ). South Carolina walking into GP for the first time in 2 years and to look up and see not 9 NC Banners but 2 more. I dont know if South Carolina could ignore them this time or if they will ever have one of their own. Tennnesse is off to a slow start and is struggling but they did last year also. They had 13 losses going into the tournament but they still made the Elite 8. South Carolina who won the SEC could not make it out of the Sweet 16. Since Pat Summit was unable to coach the name on the front of the jersey may not intimidate like in the past but they still have 8 NCs and the rest of the SEC has a big fat Zero. A little Respect!

.....And I don't care what he gave or what you have to say honestly so you just wasted your time writing a whole paragraph about something I could care less about! I'm a SC fan IN GENERAL and I'm proud pretty sure we're better at other sports then just WBB so it's not that deep and anything could happen from now until February ( when they actually play) so until then please don't talk to me. Ok? Thanks :)

Reaction Score
If UConn goes undefeated it would be demoralizing for the rest of WBB or even if they lose one game, but win the NC. UConn will have to have an absolutes stinker game to lose in conference. Whether they enter NCAA's undefeated is down really to 2 game...Maryland and S Carolina.

If the other teams can't get UConn this year, the rest of WCB will be shaking their heads. It's only going to be tougher when the reload happens and Geno has a full arsenal of reserves that could be starting on most top 15 teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
.....And I don't care what he gave or what you have to say honestly so you just wasted your time writing a whole paragraph about something I could care less about! I'm a SC fan IN GENERAL and I'm proud pretty sure we're better at other sports then just WBB so it's not that deep and anything could happen from now until February ( when they actually play) so until then please don't talk to me. Ok? Thanks :)
Truth hurts doesnt it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01