what would people think of Tagliabue? | The Boneyard

what would people think of Tagliabue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i haven't heard his name from anything, but what would people think of Tagliabue as our new commissioner? i know he's theoretically a Georgetown guy, and the last thing we want is a bball guy as commish, but if the Big East is going to survive as a massive cross country conference it's all going to depend on our next media contract. in reality being savvy with media contracts is the only qualification i see as necessary for this job right now.

pj

Reaction Score
I would be ecstatic. But I doubt it's possible. And never thought I'd hear an NFL Commissioner described as "a bball guy."

Reaction Score
Tags spent some time consulting for the league. I would be shocked if he were interested in a job that's description includes balancing the athletic missions of DePaul and USF.

Reaction Score
Taglibue? We need a young guy. We've got Bailey right now, that is the right guy, for right now, w/o a doubt. We're going to need somebody in place come fall, that's going to be invested in this thing long term.

Tagliabue - though? Invaluable for consulting when it comes to the media relations we're oging to have to develop.

The success of the big east is not going to be about money inthe future, it's going to be about scheduling and getting our sports, into their respective primetime viewing slots during the week, in their local regions.

Reaction Score
The success of the big east is not going to be about money inthe future, it's going to be about scheduling and getting our sports, into their respective primetime viewing slots during the week, in their local regions.

how is it not about money? we already have local viewing on SNY in prime TV slots. we need national prime slots....because they mean more money. otherwise our women's bball would have been better off staying on CPTV, it doesn't get much more regional than that in terms of viewing. maybe now that they moved to SNY you'd like to see our football and bball on CPTV?

as for his age, this conference might be dead in 2 years, why do we need someone young?

good point about calling him PT a bball guy

Reaction Score
how is it not about money? we already have local viewing on SNY in prime TV slots. we need national prime slots....because they mean more money. otherwise our women's bball would have been better off staying on CPTV, it doesn't get much more regional than that in terms of viewing. maybe now that they moved to SNY you'd like to see our football and bball on CPTV?

as for his age, this conference might be dead in 2 years, why do we need someone young?

Leave him alone. He's on a roll. :)

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Tags was never able to get his NFL Network on basic cable in NYC.

Commissioneering the Big East is a bigger challenge than that at this point. I dunno if he could be all that effective at it, but he would at least bring some big-name cache to the table...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Most of us here on the board are aware of Tagliabue's consulting.

One thing that has come to light over the past few days is that G'town definitely is the leading voice of the bball onlies and they have clout to line up votes. Tags would have the trust of the bball only schools.

And obviously he has the acumen and contacts throughout network television, football and law firms that only a handful of people in the country have.

I would guess if he actively wanted the job, he could get it. Age isn't an issue. The guy knows how to build, run and manage a staff and knows how to lead an organization.

Most of the rest of the country would be shocked if he were to be named commissioner.

Reaction Score
i haven't heard his name from anything, but what would people think of Tagliabue as our new commissioner? i know he's theoretically a Georgetown guy, and the last thing we want is a bball guy as commish, but if the Big East is going to survive as a massive cross country conference it's all going to depend on our next media contract. in reality being savvy with media contracts is the only qualification i see as necessary for this job right now.

One thing to consider is that, in dealing with the networks, he was always the beneficiary of a seller's market. The NFL had the networks falling all over themselves trying for a piece of the schedule and playoffs. The networks were pretty much told to take it, or have your piece given to one of the other networks. The "others" were willing to take anything just to stay on good terms with the NFL. It wasn't as much a negotiation as it was an auction with each piece going to the highest bidder. I doubt if the BE is going to be in that position.

Reaction Score
It would be EXCELLENT public relations for the Big East. SMU basketball is getting a lot of attention just because of Larry Brown.

Reaction Score
I would guess if he actively wanted the job, he could get it. Age isn't an issue. The guy knows how to build, run and manage a staff and knows how to lead an organization.
He is also VERY well connected, obviously.

Reaction Score
Tags spent some time consulting for the league. I would be shocked if he were interested in a job that's description includes balancing the athletic missions of DePaul and USF.
One thing you have to keep in mind. The C-USA commissioner stated publicly that C-USA's objective is to develop athletic programs for universities that are rising. The Big East serves somewhat a similar purpose, but at a higher level. We're pretty much C-USA - BCS Edition.

Reaction Score
Right now, I hope the BE can land either Paul Tagliabue or Kevin Weiberg the 2nd in command at PAC-12 next to Larry Scott. Both would be excellent hire. Paul would bring instant respectability just because he has been the NFL commissioner. Weiberg has ran B-12 before and he was intimately involved in the PAC-12 TV deal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm hesitant, since G-town's and UConn's interests might not be perfectly aligned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom