What was the most upsetting injury in the last 10 years? | The Boneyard

What was the most upsetting injury in the last 10 years?

What was the most upsetting injury in the last 10 years?

• Omar Calhoun (2012-2013)

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • Ryan Boatright (2014-2015)

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Alterique Gilbert (2016-2017)

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • Alterique Gilbert (2017-2018)

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • Terry Laurier (2017-2018)

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Jalen Adams (2018-2019)

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Akok Akok (2019-2020)

Votes: 109 57.4%
  • James Bouknight (2020-2021)

Votes: 51 26.8%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I started watching in 2010 so I’ve only heard of Jerome Dyson, never got to see him play. I would love to do an all-time injury poll but I don’t know all the players :(

Also I was trying to subtly highlight how many injuries we’ve had in recent years

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Man I was in the 3rd row, section 110 for that game. You could hear it snap. We all knew immediately, it was awful.

Reaction Score
Dyson for sure. The team made the Final Four without their starting SG, just goes to show how great they were (and I feel many people underrate that team). Thabeet and Adrien would’ve manhandled Hansbrough. 2006 was absolutely loaded but I feel just as strong as 2009.

Reaction Score
I know Jim Calhoun doesn't qualify from this player group but when he had his bike injury in Aug 2012 and retired a month later to me his early retirement put this program in a different direction despite KO national championship in 2014. Again, just my opinion.

Reaction Score
Al’s career…just feel so badly for that guy…amazing that he stayed at UConn and got his degree.
On a human level, the worst injury was Gilbert for sure. He seems like such a good guy and he stuck with the program and toughed it out through thick and thin. I do wonder how much better his professional prospects would've been without those debilitating injuries. The guy just couldn't catch a positive break.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Bouknight's hand, wrist, elbow, fingers or his full body cramps?? :cool:
AGs continual injuries were the most heartbreaking and I sincerely hope Akok doesn't experience the same - he has so much potential to be a special player

Reaction Score
Dyson for sure. The team made the Final Four without their starting SG, just goes to show how great they were (and I feel many people underrate that team). Thabeet and Adrien would’ve manhandled Hansbrough. 2006 was absolutely loaded but I feel just as strong as 2009.
Yeah, I think that 2009 team could've won it all with a healthy Dyson. He is the exact type of player that would've locked down Corey Luscious and Dorrell Summers, but instead they went off. Also, keep in mind even w/o Dyson, UConn shot 21-33 from FTs with a few of those being front ends of 1 on 1s. They do a little a better with FTs and they would've been in the championship game.

Reaction Score
If there was 1 injury in UConn's entire history I could wish away it would be that one. We would be sitting with 5 titles right now. Easily would have beat MSU and I think we handle UNC in a close game.
Me too. That would be the one I wish to have back. But what about AJ Price's hemhorrage and laptop gate? Let's first be glad he survived which is by the most important thing. But if he doesn't have that, the 2005 team would've been better and w/o the laptop incident, he would have 1 year under his belt and now UConn has 2 PGs that can break down the defense. For all the things Marcus Williams was good at, defense wasn't one of them and AJ Price was much better at that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Me too. That would be the one I wish to have back. But what about AJ Price's hemhorrage and laptop gate? Let's first be glad he survived which is by the most important thing. But if he doesn't have that, the 2005 team would've been better and w/o the laptop incident, he would have 1 year under his belt and now UConn has 2 PGs that can break down the defense. For all the things Marcus Williams was good at, defense wasn't one of them and AJ Price was much better at that.
AJ's injury was greater than 10 years ago, but that really hit me. Most times you are grateful that a kid can play again. For AJ, I feel grateful that he lived. It could have easily gone differently.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I started watching in 2010 so I’ve only heard of Jerome Dyson, never got to see him play.
On the positive side, you did get the benefit of missing how poorly he was treated here the following year, when he was forced/asked/took it upon himself (in fairness, it varied) to do too much and failed at it.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

They couldn’t manhandle a bunch of nobodies on msu.

There’s were literally national news articles written aboht how badly Morgan was playing for mich st and he absolutely had his way with that front court.

I will ignore the hometown bs of Walton not being the only one to get a t or be ejected for trying to start a fight, but to be confident after that game against unc’s frontcourt is a tough sell for me

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
1-10: Dyson

In the last 10 years, I remember Kemba, 2014 and little else.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
I almost chirped you about Dyson I'm 2009, but then I realized I'm old and that was a while ago

Reaction Score
If there was 1 injury in UConn's entire history I could wish away it would be that one. We would be sitting with 5 titles right now. Easily would have beat MSU and I think we handle UNC in a close game.
I dont even think itd be that close with UNC. That Uconn team was a steam roller. If Dyson doesnt go down i cant imagine how in the world we lose to either of those teams and i lean toward us winning pretty handily. Just looked it up Uconn was 23-1 with Dyson in the lineup and 4-3 the rest of the way in the BE. That injury cost us a conference and national title.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I dont even think itd be that close with UNC. That Uconn team was a steam roller. If Dyson doesnt go down i cant imagine how in the world we lose to either of those teams and i lean toward us winning pretty handily.

Pitt had our number that year but felt fairly confident against everyone else

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom