What was the first UConn WBB game that you ever watched? | The Boneyard

What was the first UConn WBB game that you ever watched?

Reaction Score
The first game I ever watched was on Martin Luther King Day in 1995 with UConn playing Tennessee. Because of the holiday our office was closed but we had a skeleton staff, myself and one other person. At the time I didn’t know anything about basketball. I couldn’t tell you the difference between a pick-n-roll and a full-court press. But the other guy was a huge Connecticut women’s basketball fan. He was especially excited about a local girl doing well—Nykesha Sales—and he really wanted to watch the game. We found a small TV in the production studio and took a 2-hour lunch break (ahem) and watched the game. And I was hooked.

Reaction Score
The 1991 semis at the Final Four. Probably didn't see another game til the 94-95 season since they weren't televised regularly. That's when CPTV started televising games. That was also the 1st season my family started going to games.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Lordy. The first game I remember was the UConn v Tenn matchup on MLK. I alternated sitting on the couch, the floor, and pacing around. There may have been other games on before that one, however I don't remember anything specific. Our interest in the team started when a coworker humbly shared that his daughter (Laura Lishness) played for the team. <3

Reaction Score
The first game I ever watched was on Martin Luther King Day in 1995 with UConn playing Tennessee. Because of the holiday our office was closed but we had a skeleton staff, myself and one other person. At the time I didn’t know anything about basketball. I couldn’t tell you the difference between a pick-n-roll and a full-court press. But the other guy was a huge Connecticut women’s basketball fan. He was especially excited about a local girl doing well—Nykesha Sales—and he really wanted to watch the game. We found a small TV in the production studio and took a 2-hour lunch break (ahem) and watched the game. And I was hooked.
My first game,also. Had the day off(teacher), drove over to Foxwoods to do some gambling, and stopped at a bar on the way home. Watched the game there and ,likewise, was hooked. Later on went to a game in Storrs, and was absolutely amazed that a girl could play the game like Nykesha could. She'll always be my favorite.

Reaction Score
The MLK match up with UT also. I, along with a lot of other people, was transferred from Knoxville to Hartford in 92. One of my coworkers got tickets to the game for about 5 of us. Up high behind a basket but a good view. I wasn't a UT basketball fan but did read the sports page in Knoxville so kind of followed them. I knew nada of Geno and company. I rooted for UT in the first half, UConn amazed me so switched sides for the second half. My coworkers, native Tennesseans all (I'm a Jersey boy) were pretty annoyed with my defection. This ended up being the only time I went to a game in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I watched women's basketball when ever I could. I always had an interest in the game since high school as I had several friends on the team and our high school was a pretty good basketball school for both boys and girls. Anyway, I started watching UConn when the started to make a name for themselves with the games against Tennessee. The MLK game in 95 was a big part of that. I liked the way they played the game and got a kick out of how frustrated Pat Summitt got with Geno. I've been a fan ever since.

Reaction Score
I can't remember who the opponent was or exactly when, but it was in the old field house. I didn't have season tickets back then. The women's games preceded the men's games so I got to see both from my general admission seats.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Like others, my first UConn game was the MLK game against Tennessee. An historic game as we witnessed the passing of the torch.

However, I remember watching WCBB in the early eighties, possibly late seventies. I remember watching Ann Meyers playing for UCLA, where her brother also played. I remember watching Reggie Miller's kid sisters playing. And Nancy Liebermann, who played a couple NBA games. No way can I remember the first college game I watched, but the first High School game I watched was in 1975, three years after Title IX.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Nice to see Nykesha's name pop up here and there!
Repeat story but it is classic Geno. Nykesha had all the big
time offers as a senior at Bloomfield High in Ct. Virginia/Ohio
State/Stanford/UConn of course and others.

That fall Nykesha was in Columbus Ohio with her official
visit to Ohio State. She attended the Ohio State football game.
I guess the weather was not good at all....at ALL! When Geno
was asked about Sales and her OSU visit he responded with
"I hope she freezes her [blank] off.

Nykesha was the big difference between the 1993-1994 team...final
8 loss to eventual champ North Carolina..and the perfect 1994-1995
team....First Ring. We needed more athletic players for that jump and she provided
just that

Reaction Score
The first final four game v Stanford, 1995. And the first (and only) game I watched in person was in Gambel, in the 2000-2001 season. It was almost impossible to get tickets because everything was sold out, so I got the ticket first, and then I bought a trans atlantic ticket to come over! It was against ODU I think...
Also bought a whole bunch of stuff in the on campus store, and I still have a mug I bought then and is still my favorite one :)

Reaction Score
That MLK day game against Tennessee, like so many others here. I'm not a CT local -- grew up in rural NJ and went to college in Annapolis -- so I couldn't watch any games in person. I started following UConn in the newspapers when Rebecca committed. We were living in the Boston area by then, my wife teaching at Brandeis and me at Merrimack. That game against Tennessee was on the telly everywhere, and I was utterly entranced. The camera work was not great in those days, but a couple of sideline view replays showed just how dynamic a player Rebecca was and I finally understood what I'd only suspected from the papers. I was hooked and watched every game I could, right up until Stewie graduated. Then I drifted away... until someone sent me a link to a highlight video of this skinny kid from Minnesota who Geno seemed to be interested in. "I thought I was out" and UConn "pulled me back."

Reaction Score
Ditto for the MLK game. I was a college student and working that semester as a cooperative education student so not enrolled in classes. I was surprisingly given the day off and watched, wondering if UConn was a good as their reputation. I pulled for UT but remember being impressed by UConn.

mudblood

Incorrigible optimist
Reaction Score
January 28, 1995, Kansas double-header. First women/men double on national TV. The men were undefeated and ranked #2, Ray Allen and Kevin Ollie were starters (alongside Donny, Doron, and Travis). Kansas was #7 I believe, had LaFrentz, Ostertag, and Vaughn, gave the Huskies an old fashioned butt whooping...

But I had heard the hoopla about the women who had beaten Tennessee a couple of weeks prior. And I decided to tune in early to watch them play. What a surprise that was! They played so beautiful, fundamental basketball, I was instantly hooked. As they say, the rest is history :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My first game,also. Had the day off(teacher), drove over to Foxwoods to do some gambling, and stopped at a bar on the way home. Watched the game there and ,likewise, was hooked. Later on went to a game in Storrs, and was absolutely amazed that a girl could play the game like Nykesha could. She'll always be my favorite.
Like you, I watched my first game on CPTV at Foxwoods. It was early in the 94-95 season. I was sitting at an empty poker table waiting to be called for a game. The guy sitting next to me was knowledgeable about the team and knew all of the players names. He also pointed out Sarah Northway sitting on the bench in street clothes. Sarah transferred into UConn and was sitting out the year.

Reaction Score
I seemed to remember TV coverage for the 93-94 Big East tournament that UConn won. My oldest daughter was at UConn then and she encouraged me to follow the women's game, since I already was a fan of the men's program. So those were the first game(s) I watched and the first game I attended was in 1995 (can't remember who), but my daughter had bought me tickets for Xmas '94. Got mini packages for the next couple of years, then I got season tickets until a couple of years after my youngest daughter graduated and she lost interest in attending with me.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
The 1991 semis at the Final Four. Probably didn't see another game til the 94-95 season since they weren't televised regularly. That's when CPTV started televising games. That was also the 1st season my family started going to games.
Precisely the same here.

Reaction Score
In person? vs. Providence and either 82 or 83, old Yankee Conf. and got our butts handed to us and you didn’t need a ticket, at least the way we got into the old Field House. On TV? Had to be either 92 or 93 and I think somewhere in the cellar is the stuffed husky dog I got for donating. It was a shame that relationship broke down but money talks and the shilling from Rifkin, I think his name was, for donations got tiresome after so many years

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
On TV. vs UVA and Dawn Staley in the 1991 Final 4.

In real life. 2008 Greensboro Regional vs Old Dominion.

Reaction Score
I watched some womens college basketball when I was growing up. The first UCONN game I remember watching was in 1998 with Sue Bird. I was hooked. Sue Bird became my hero and inspiration when I was on the court. I was in the 6th grade then and tried to model my game after her thru the rest of my basketball career.

Reaction Score
Live feb 20 1994 against Pitt
On tv would always stumble on the final 4 when i was a kid La Tech with Mulkey and USC with the McGhee twins stick in my mind

Reaction Score
1995 regular season game against Tenn. I was impressed with the quality of play by UConn with Lobo, Big Girl, Jen, Jemelle, and a freshy named Precious! Up to that point, the only other women's BB games I had watched were a couple of NCAA games when Dawn Staley was at UVA in the early 90s.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom